PDA

View Full Version : Old, good flash

BillW
04-03-2011, 7:45pm
Hi everyone. I am feeling my way into a new era of photography, for me. I still have my old A1 and with it I used the excellent Speedlite 533G.

Now, having put together a new 7D and 2 x L lenses, I have agreed to do some flash photography for my son's cricket team's end of season nighttime indoor function.

I have not yet acquired a new flash unit. So, I connected up the 533G on its bracket and hey presto the 7D recognises it and has taken some reasonable shots. No doubt the experts here will be able to tell me the limitations of this combination but, whatever, do you reckon I have enough for the job?

For the occasion I will use either my beaut 24-105 L IS USM or I may decide on the EFS 18-55 IS that I bought cheaply, with its wider angle. Any tips please for getting the best out of these, especially the flash/camera combo, for the occasion. I have not done much photography for years but gradually getting back into it.

Cheers, Bill

OzzieTraveller
06-03-2011, 2:51pm
G'day Bill

it all sounds good mate - if the old stuff works okay, then keep it going & all that stuff
When it no longer works or no longer links with the new gear, by all means update ... but I like the idea of using & reusing where possible

Show us some results when you have them :o

Regards, Phil

pmack
09-03-2011, 9:37pm
I've not heard of this flash, does it have ETTL metering? or do you need to set the flash power manually?

MarkChap
09-03-2011, 10:17pm
pmack, no this unit will not have ETTL, in fact there will be no auto metering with the EOS cameras at all.

I would hazard a guess that it would have a thyristor type setting that could be used or in manual mode

Jack LC
09-03-2011, 11:16pm
Call it a bonus that it works in the short term but ultimately flash units have come a looooooooooong way since that unit was last produced. It sure beats no flash.:)

JM Tran
09-03-2011, 11:25pm
if u are on a budget consider one of the Yongnuo TTL or non TTL units, ie. a YN468 which has TTL and same power output as a Canon 430EXII with same functions is under $100 on ebay, or a YN560 non TTL for strobist work with same power output as a Canon 580EXII for under $100 too. Very well made and reliable.

if on an even tighter budget, find a Nikon SB25 or SB26 for around $50, thats how I started out using old Nikon flashes on Pentax and Canon DSLRs to get results.