PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom deleting folders/files

wideangle
03-03-2011, 11:58am
If you have multiple LR catalogues, and you go and delete a photo/folder within LR permanently off the hard drive (as opposed to just removing it from the catalogue) what happens when you open another catalogue that has the same folder/file structure? I assume you would get a "?" near the files/folders that have been permanently deleted from the hard drive?

Would you have to then go into each catalogue and manually delete the "?" missing link folders/files or will this be automatic?

Remorhaz
03-03-2011, 9:07pm
I'd imagine the former - you wouldn't need multiple catalogs to try this I expect. If you manually deleted a file using the finder/file manager and then opened Lightroom you'd probably see the same result.

arthurking83
03-03-2011, 9:13pm
I'm suspecting the same result as Remorhaz.
I don't use LR for cataloguing actually. I use a program called IDImager, which is far more configurable and flexible(as cataloguing software).

You can go into the toolbar menu under Edit->Catalogue Preferences and there is no option to automate file handling ability for missing files. It has basic options available but nothing like what you ask it to do.

kiwi
03-03-2011, 9:48pm
The answer is the latter, folders remain in each catalogue with thumbnails too until delete them in LR regardless of what you have actually done in the filesystem

wideangle
03-03-2011, 10:01pm
The answer is the latter, folders remain in each catalogue with thumbnails too until delete them in LR regardless of what you have actually done in the filesystem

Thanks kiwi, I thought that would be the case that ? symbols would come up and you would have to manually get rid of them. cheers.