PDA

View Full Version : Multi purpose Qd mount

wheellathe
02-03-2011, 8:30pm
As Im now the proud owner of 2 camera bodies, I've been wondering what the best system would be for quick detach mounts.At present I have a Manfrotto ball head with a big hexagon Qd plate,a mono pod with only a 1/4 screw , 2 camera bodies and a 300mm lens with a tripod collar. Cheers

mal from cessnock
12-03-2011, 5:06pm
wheellathe, I too have two bodies, various lens which all fit both (except for one) and I use two tripod heads which both fit on my tripods and monopod. I find it easy to select which head I want and then screw it on. Only takes a couple of secs. But if I were you I'd replace the monopod or get an adapter screw which fits on the 1/4" and steps it up to (is it?) 5/16th.

Ohter than that offering I'm not sure whether I've nailed your question?

arthurking83
12-03-2011, 8:12pm
It makes the most sense to stick with the hexagonal QR0 system that you already have(BTW it's referred too as a QR.. Quick Release.. mount system).

if you search through Manfrotto's catalogue you will find references to a few QR plates and bases.

I find(or believe) that the Manfrotto systems are too 'locked in', in that they are not compatible with any other system, and that there are many other plates and systems that cater to wider, cheaper and more sturdy requirements.

I like thier QR5 system as it's very strong, but limited in flexibility!

The Arca Swiss QR plates and bases are usually more flexible, in that many various manufacturers make all kinds of gizmo's and accessories to suit, and hence the entire system is able to cater to particular and peculiar needs, and in a cheaper manner(that Manfrotto's plate systems).

Cheaper solution is to stick with the RC0 plates, as you already have some parts, but if your financial commitment to it is not heavy, I'd recommend an entire change to a more generally acceptable Arca Swiss system.

Note that not all Arca style plates manufacturers are cross compatible too(and that p's me off madly!) What's the point in having a "Arca Swiss compatible system", if it's not compatible!? :rolleyes:

Anyhow.. I was only jsut doing a bit of price research and have determined that the AcraTech plates and bases seem to have a good mix of price and compatibility with the other major manufacturers.

RRS plates are generally compatible, made from 'aircraft alloys', but seem rather expensive by comparison(to the already good quality AcraTech stuff).

I think I'mn about to switch to one of the Arca Swiss compatible manufacturers bases soon I reckon, not sure which one it will actually be, but either the Acratech, or maybe the RRS standard(not lever release) version. RRS lever release is apparently not 100% compatible, and says so on their site too. Problem is cost! I'm looking at approximately $300 as a minimum expense... one that I'd rather not have to deal with, as that's the purchase cost of a very good macro focusing rail(the reason why I want to switch anyhow!). But I think I have to bite the bullet and stop fuffing around with this Manfrotto RC5 system now.

So, you have a ballhead, but no tripod? Do you use the ballhead on the monopod.

As it stands you only need three plates, so the cost in staying with the QR0 system is minimal... maybe another $40 or so for two more plates(one for the lens and another for the second body).

But that's what I thought was the 'easy road' way back when I thought my needs were minimal, and not specific in any manner. Took a while to realise it(3 years or so), but now I know better.
Closed source is not a good option, and should have abandoned it when my investment in it reached $100m, as opposed to the over $200 that is now!

wheellathe
12-03-2011, 8:24pm
Thanks for that arthurking , your a wealth of knowledge