PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Calibrator

dbose
28-02-2011, 12:18pm
Hi Guys

I am thinking of buying a monitor calibrator - I realised recently that this is a must especially when trying to print as without this the color you see on screen can be totally different to what comes out from the printer. I realise that color Munki is the best but it comes at a big price (about $580). The other option is Spider 3 Express which I can get for about $120.

Can anyone tell me if this is going to work its purpose? Are there any other options?

Thanks a lot guys...

pcbermagui
28-02-2011, 12:37pm
Hi Dbose,
I've had an I1 monitor for several years and its been worth its weight in paper and ink. Its been upgraded I believe. The spider is good I'm told. Have a look at image science website in Melbourne. They are a wealth of information and do an ongoing series of articles on colour work-flow and calibration. They also sell both brands.
The colour monkey I believe will do printer calibration as well as monitor. If I'm right its worth the money as even the cheapest individual profiles will cost upwards of $75 each.
Hope this helps - pcbermagui

I @ M
28-02-2011, 12:46pm
Have a look at the Spyder 3 pro, it performs well and we have never had any colour issues since purchasing one.

Bercy
31-03-2011, 4:32pm
I have a Spyder somewhere! Moved house and seems it must be in a box somewhere. Obviously it does make a big difference if the screen is off to start with and Spyder did this fine. However, the real cost is in the amount of wasted ink and paper when the print comes out completely out of whack. Had a very reasonable conversation with salesman, and he explained it well. His view was Colormunki was the better option because it calibrated both screen and printer output, which my old spider could only do in a primitive fashion He wasn't pushy; just gave me the information. (He is himself a pro) In many camera kits there can be thousands of dollars of accumulated gear, but because the Colormunki is the penultimate bit in the step to good photos it is a begrudeged cost. I'm thinking about.... !!

JM Tran
31-03-2011, 10:54pm
I use the Color Monki, it is high end stuff and will do more than most amateurs need it for, I have also used the Spyder 3 and there is a lot more options and customization with the former. Its a good investment and something you will use for the next 10 years, of technology doesnt evolve to something more awesome:)

andylo
06-04-2011, 4:14pm
Funny that I am just looking at the options re monitor calibration....

OMG!! Another piece of equipment need to invest! (I just put 8GB RAM into my laptop to run the CS5)

Blueywa
04-05-2011, 1:38pm
A good friend of mine uses a 'Spyder 3 Express' :-
He has a monitor which just happens to be the same make and specification as mine, so after hearing good things about it from him I spent just over the $100 and now have my own resident Spyder.
It does make a difference (i.e. an improvement), and didnt cost the earth.

I wouldnt say its an essential but its certainly worth having :)

William
04-05-2011, 1:46pm
Funny that I am just looking at the options re monitor calibration....

OMG!! Another piece of equipment need to invest! (I just put 8GB RAM into my laptop to run the CS5)

:eek: Shite !! I run 2GB Ram and everything works fine with CS5 Extended , But I do agree with Bluey, Myself and others are using Spyder 3 Express, Just does'nt have all the Bells and whistles , That most dont use anyway , Great buy for $120 IMO :th3:

andylo
06-05-2011, 1:41am
Happily received my ColorMunki tonight :)

Before and after photo for comparison :D

BEFORE....
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af355/ACCreativePhotography/1D%20Creative/Samsonvale%2020110502/_MG_0084.jpg

AFTER......
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af355/ACCreativePhotography/1D%20Creative/Samsonvale%2020110502/_MG_0084-1.jpg

pjc
07-05-2011, 10:07am
I too have recently invested in a Color Munki Photo and I was finally able to get my old LCD (secondary) screen look look close to my Dell U2711. I'm looking forward to calibrating my printer next.:th3: