PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Serial Number

scpleta
27-02-2011, 9:30pm
Hello guys! I just want to ask if all Nikon Lenses come with a serial number on it? I just bought two lenses (85mm 1.4D and 50mm 1.4) over the internet and it came in a few days time from Hong Kong (where most bargains come from anyway). When I looked at the lenses, I noticed that there was no serial number on either lens? Now, I'm thinking if these lenses are legitimate Nikon lenses.

Does anyone have the same situation? Or, if anyone can shed some light so that I won't feel "troubled" with my newly bought lens, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, in advance!

arthurking83
27-02-2011, 10:06pm
Yes, and yes.(legitimate).
Sometimes the serial number is so small and insignificant you have to look harder to see it.

It may be stamped with very small font on the underside of the lens near the mount(basically under the lens as it's mounted on the camera).

Maybe on the aperture ring on the 85mm. Which 50/1.4?.... D or G?

strange fact: stupidest serial number placing on any lens(Nikon or otherwise) that I've ever seen is the 500mm mirror lens. It's basically painted/stamped on what amounts to a lens hood. A screw on hood like attachment(that you never really take off anyhow) but it's still stupid place to mark the serial number!! :rolleyes:

Wayne
27-02-2011, 10:41pm
The 85mm is on the aperture ring

scpleta
28-02-2011, 9:16am
Yes, and yes.(legitimate).
Maybe on the aperture ring on the 85mm. Which 50/1.4?.... D or G?

Thanks Arthur! I have the 50mm 1.4D. Perhaps you can help me by pointing out where I can find the serial number. Cheers.

scpleta
28-02-2011, 9:17am
The 85mm is on the aperture ring

Thanks Wayne! I will have a look later today. Hope I could find it there. :(

I @ M
28-02-2011, 12:59pm
Thanks Wayne! I will have a look later today. Hope I could find it there. :(

Grey coloured numbers. The start of the serial numbers are 200001 through to ( according to mine anyway ) 457xxx

If the lens is mounted on the camera the number is visible on the black of the aperture ring right at the base of the lens and it is located close to the focus selection switch on the camera body.

This is a handy page for keeping track of Nikon serial numbers etc. http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#85

junqbox
28-02-2011, 1:28pm
I have a 70-210D and after relentless searching on it could not find one anywhere.

reaction
28-02-2011, 2:51pm
I have never heard of a lens w/o a serial, but older ones may be harder to find, or rubbed off?

scpleta
01-03-2011, 9:21am
I finally found the serial numbers!!! Thanks heaps! :D And you guys were right, it was etched along the aperture ring beneath the lens. I felt relieved when I saw it.

Thanks too Andrew for the website. That's indeed a good source of reference. Now I know when my lenses were built.