PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne zoo. Crap weather

Ackie
27-02-2011, 11:44am
I'm at the zoo now. Trying to get some good photos. But with such grey skies there is no light to take good photos. I have tried to up the iso but I am worried they will turn out real noisy.
Is there anything I can do to fix the light situation?
I have adjusted the exposure compensation but it is still dark.
If I lower the shutter speed the photos blur. Some animals don't like sitting still.

brindyman
27-02-2011, 1:28pm
could always bounce a flash maybe? not sure what the go with zoo's and flashes are though cause of the animals getting spooked etc

Tanne
06-03-2011, 10:11am
Some of the animals would have looked good against dark greay gloomey skys - more emotive!

ricktas
06-03-2011, 10:33am
Overcast skies are good, stops blown highlights. Whilst the results may look flat, a good curves and levels adjustment in photoshop (or other editing software) when you get home, will fix that.

Ackie
06-03-2011, 9:46pm
Thanks. I'll have a look at all these photos. I'm not very good at pp.
Is there somewhere I can learn what curves and levels does. If I were to post a picture, perhaps it could be edited by someone with experience. And a rundown given. Perhaps a tutorial written???

campdog
22-08-2011, 11:10am
Overcast day are the best for Zoo photography. The animals seem to be more active and out and about more often.I get my best shots using a flash and a good fast lens. WIth the Pentax K5 I can bump the ISO up quite high as well.Manual or AP seem to work the best for me.

John