PDA

View Full Version : Is K5 worth the extra dollars + 1.03 firmware

Jarra
27-02-2011, 8:41am
Folks,
looking at getting some new kit. It means moving from Nikon (some old worn gear) to possibily Pentax. If I make the move is the K5 worth the extra dollars over the K7. It appears the K7 can be had for about half the price of a K5 ...... Is it that bad or is the K5 that good that it makes the decision obvious.

Any opinions very welcome.

regards
Jarra

falke
27-02-2011, 8:55am
I read that the sensor (to name only one good reason) in the K5 (as well as the Kx) is better than that of the K7. Low ISO performance is really something.

Kym
27-02-2011, 9:01am
In a word YES! It is the best APS-C camera bar none, and better than many 35mm size.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Sensor-rankings The ONLY cameras (5) that are ranked higher are 35mm sensors or medium format (645D, D3x, D3s, Phase 1).

falke
27-02-2011, 9:17am
In a word YES! It is the best APS-C camera bar none, and better than many 35mm size.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Sensor-rankings The ONLY cameras (5) that are ranked higher are 35mm sensors or medium format (645D, D3x, D3s, Phase 1).

wow, nice comparison page Kym. In the dynamic range comparison, the K-5 is placed top most. (My K-x is pretty high up too).

Kym
27-02-2011, 9:25am
Not to mention features... BTW I own one.

In body Shake reduction (SR == VR) - all lenses are stabilised
Weather sealing
7fps
Built like a tank - Magnesium alloy body frame
Dual-axis leveller
Front and back dials, many assignable control buttons (less need for menu)
HD movies
And much more...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/

We liked the older Pentax K-7 a lot, and our only significant criticism was its relatively poor high ISO performance. The new K-5 brings all the things that we liked about the K-7 - the compact, solid body, and generally well thought-out ergonomics, and excellent feature set - but adds substantially better image quality, in both still and movie modes, and a host of other improvements. In our opinion this makes it one of the best APS-C DSLRs currently on the market.

Image quality is now up there with the best of its competition, and all of the K-5's key systems are reliable and effective. Throw really nice ergonomics into the mixture and you have a compelling little camera that we have really enjoyed using.

Kym
27-02-2011, 9:26am
wow, nice comparison page Kym. In the dynamic range comparison, the K-7 is placed top most. (My K-x is pretty high up too).

Errr... K-5 is top - typo I assume ;)

falke
27-02-2011, 9:28am
Errr... K-5 is top - typo I assume ;)

Ok, of course, I'll get it right from now on. :o

Analog6
27-02-2011, 10:06am
Very interesting stuff - I've been looking at Pentax as a possible SLR system contender - and to my surprise the K5 is cheaper at Vanbar in Melbourne ($1599) than from any of the Asian ebay sellers (start at $1700+)!

What are their wide zooms like?

Jarra
27-02-2011, 1:46pm
thanks folks, appreciated.

Kym
27-02-2011, 5:43pm
Very interesting stuff - I've been looking at Pentax as a possible SLR system contender - and to my surprise the K5 is cheaper at Vanbar in Melbourne ($1599) than from any of the Asian ebay sellers (start at $1700+)!

What are their wide zooms like?

I have a Sigma 10-20 which works well.

Here the Pentax lenses http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/ , the primes rock. The 12-24 is supposed to be very good.

mopsy
27-02-2011, 6:56pm
LOVE my K5 but I upgraded from the K10 so I can't comment on the difference between it and the K7. I did briefly consider getting the K7 instead but decided against it I think because of the DR and burst speed.

K10D
01-03-2011, 12:32pm
I'm sitting on the fence until the low light FF issue is resolved. Theres plenty of K5's in use in the UK, some frought with niggles, but no less than other marks. Overall, the K5 is starting to get Pentax where they
should have been three years ago. It's worth the extra money.

Best regards

Analog6
01-03-2011, 2:33pm
I've been looking into this a bit over the last couple of days. Are the sensor staining and auto focus problems fixed? I'm not in any hurry to buy (no money at the moment, just sussing out what is available) so can afford to wait.

Sittingsolo
01-03-2011, 7:01pm
I so want a K-5 and would definately buy one if I had the cash at the moment. You won't be disappointed if you buy one. I have a friend who had the K7 and upgraded to the K5 and she says it is well worth it. The low light images she has taken are awesome and the video is great too. We took photo's at night with her K5 and did a few videos too and I must say I was amazed with how wonderful they turned out. Yep the K5 is worth the extra $$$ in my opinion :th3:

Kym
01-03-2011, 7:15pm
I've been looking into this a bit over the last couple of days. Are the sensor staining and auto focus problems fixed? I'm not in any hurry to buy (no money at the moment, just sussing out what is available) so can afford to wait.

1. Sensor stain was very early batches and those were replaced under warranty (I know - I got a new one ;) )

2. Lowlight (Tungsten light) AF is fine under the latest firmware (1.02), there is a AF assist light on the K-5; the K-5 also has a micro adjust for front/back focus, that can be set for multiple lenses as needed.

doombaj01
02-03-2011, 6:44pm
The justification I used to explain to the child bride why I needed to buy a K5 was its low light performance when chasing birds and I have not been disappointed. Personally, I haven't seen any of the issues that have been reported, that might be because most of my photography has been in daylight, but I haven't seen any issues on the odd occasions I have shot indoors in poor lighting conditions either.

kyteflyer
04-03-2011, 4:02pm
I caved in yesterday when the lads at Camera house reduced the price to something I found acceptable. My CC took the hit, and I got body only so I dont have any WR lenses, just my 15/35/43 Ltds and a Tamron 70-300. I've barely had any chance to get out and play with it, the battery took forever to charge up, but will be out this evening and hope to get some low light shots, you know, night time in the city.

I'm going to have to get my stuff together because this purchase means I need to sell a Kr, a K200D, plus assorted point and shooters and bridge cameras. I just can NOT keep buying new cameras. (Wanders off to Cameramarket where she wonders if anything actually ever sells)

I @ M
04-03-2011, 4:52pm
(Wanders off to Cameramarket where she wonders if anything actually ever sells)

Yes it does sell, we are quite often amending the posts from "for sale" to "sold" on here for items for sale on camera market.

kyteflyer
05-03-2011, 5:39am
Yes it does sell, we are quite often amending the posts from "for sale" to "sold" on here for items for sale on camera market.

Good to know. Just that I advertised one bridge camera there and have had nearly 200 looks (so I guess there's some degree of interest) but not a single enquiry. The item was not overpriced IMO (current model and at only about half RRP, and well under grey market) and yet...

I'll try my luck with the other stuff once I get some photographs taken. The K5 is a dream machine, but I now have a need to get more lenses (MUST. NOT. OVER. SPEND!!)

robma47
05-03-2011, 2:25pm
Just got the K5 yesterday, still checking it out feels like a solid unit hope to take some pic. this weekend

Kym
10-03-2011, 3:06pm
Low light issue is fixed... Firmware upgrade... http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html (Thanks Andrew)

PENTAX wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.03 for K-5.
Firmware in this document is the software that runs inside digital cameras.
Changes to V1.03

Improved the accuracy of auto focus in low-intensity light condition.
Improved stability for general performance.

*Contents of [Version 1.02] will be also updated.

Changes to V1.02

Compatible with SDXC memory card.

* Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class.
All ISO sensitivity setting can be used on Bulb mode.
Improved functional sequence for Contrast AF and improved total speed until in focus.

Changes to V1.01

Increases the number of continuous shot at RAW format and High sensitivity shooting.

* Ex. Setting condition: RAW/ISO100, Increases the number of continuous shot from maximum approx. 8 frames to approx. 20 frames.
Improved stability for general performance such as exposure range on HyP mode

yongkun
10-03-2011, 5:15pm
announced by Pentax Japan.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html

K10D
11-03-2011, 4:38pm
New firmware is not the be all and end all...yet.

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/k-5-1-03-versus-k20d-af-tests-26445

Some cameras OK, others are not.

Best regards

Kym
11-03-2011, 4:50pm
Thanks K10D - non problem to me. But I can see where some people would have issues.

K10D
11-03-2011, 4:54pm
I'm the guy that buys the "donkey" hence I don't own a K5 yet.

Best regards

Kym
11-03-2011, 6:05pm
I just did a couple of low light tungsten shots of Nel - focus is primo!

Tommo1965
11-03-2011, 10:31pm
that user im pretty sure has a defective K5 and no amount of firmware will fix it...just about everyone else on that forum with a K5 reports good low light AF wit the new firmware

{ 1.03}
New firmware is not the be all and end all...yet.

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/k-5-1-03-versus-k20d-af-tests-26445

Some cameras OK, others are not.

Best regards

mongo
11-03-2011, 10:52pm
Mrs Mongo bought one within the last few weeks. So far it has shown itself to be a reasonably good performer. Low noise at reasonable ISO speeds and other positive features.