PDA

View Full Version : event stuff

ricstew
27-02-2011, 6:40am
So I thought I better start my own thread cause it sounded as if I was not serious in the other.....
Events are not something I normally do ..I have done a couple before but the costs were included in other work I was doing for the company........I just rounded it all out to a nice figure....

I am 'doing' a private party at the pub ( family freebie ) but sure as shootin' someone will ask what do I charge to shoot Aunt Fanny's birthday?

So what do I charge Jo Blow down at the pub? It wont be by the partial minute! I think I know what a reasonable fee for my area would be. So a one off fee and then a fee per digital image? Or a disc to the stakeholder and they can then distribute ( that actually sounds better to me ......less hassle :)
How does it normally work?

cheers
Jan

johndom
27-02-2011, 12:49pm
The first thing i would say is rather than shoot the event, talk them into a nice portrait of AF and family at a separate time. With maybe a drop in at the party to shoot a big family group or somesuch.
That way you get to show off your skills and probably get treated with a little more respect.

ricstew
27-02-2011, 1:50pm
well thats a something I hadn't thought of! Good thinking!
There must be more ways around this?? No one else care to venture their experiences?

johndom
27-02-2011, 8:52pm
They must be all still laughing at the jokes in the other thread.

ricktas
27-02-2011, 9:02pm
What do you charge? Hmmm. What are you offering?

Your fee should reflect what you are providing. Your time, cost of using your gear, time to post process, what if someone wants a print? You should work out an hourly rate that you think reflects what you are providing.

Hard for us to do that for you as our circumstances differ to your own. A Pro needs to make money to cover all his/her business costs and make a profit, so that at the end of the week, they have a wage coming in that suits their business and income models. Weekend photographers can often do it cheaper than the Pro's cause they work elsewhere Mon-Fri and are not reliant on making $xxx per week to feed the family etc.

Now having said that, you want a figure. Try $80.00 per hour, and include all your travel and post processing hours in that, when working out a quote.

ricstew
27-02-2011, 10:18pm
Sorry guys its not the $dollar side. I must not be explaining myself properly. It the what do I say..........when I am at a private do ......here is my card, call me .....how do you present this style of photography? that sort of stuff. Or the most common way of presenting it in your experience. I have no experience in the delivery side of things.........and I get family to practice on!
I know the majority of ppl wouldnt follow up......:rolleyes:.....but I would like to.

Rick I meant it to say what do I charge him for? The convienience of all the images on a disc ready to distribute to whoever they want and not rely on family etc.
Ignore me I am a doofus this weekend.

Sobriquet
02-03-2011, 4:37pm
It is easier to do a shoot and burn and these days probably as profitable as so many others are taking pics anyway. Work out an hourly rate. You don't sound like you are doing this pro, more sideline so decide on a figure that makes it worth your getting out there and taking images. It is time away from your family and other life stuff but it can be fun, so decide on your personal value of your time.