PDA

View Full Version : How can I get started in Wedding Photography - Melbourne

ccrnkovic
25-02-2011, 1:15pm
Wanting some advice how I can get involved in Wedding Photography. What did others do? I can't seem to get anyone to give me a break!! What would you suggest I do?

Thanks for the advice.

PH005
25-02-2011, 1:27pm
I would guess that there are plenty of things that you can do. Go around some of the wedding shops, ie, bridal, planner, suit hire, even cake decorators. Go in person. Explain wait you wish to do. Show off some of your work. Have a business card. Even offer to do a small wedding for free and that the couple only pay for what they order from you. If a portfolio of yours impresses, then I am sure someone would leap at the chance for a discount photographer . Ask all your friends and rallies if they know anyone with an upcoming wedding. Best of luck. Stick at it.

ricktas
25-02-2011, 2:02pm
1. you need to be a better photographer than everyone else trying to 'get a break'. If a Pro is looking at taking on an assistant etc, they (like any other employer) will give the job to the best person for the job.

2. You need good post processing skills

3. You need good communication skills

4. You need to accept rejection, but ask when you are rejected, WHY? Cause what they say, might help you self-improve, so the next application is more successful.

Remember you are entering a shrinking market (less weddings every year in Aus since 2002), and a market with increased competition (more photographers than ever before). You need to approach this in a way that makes you stand out from every other 'wanna-be'.

Longshots
25-02-2011, 2:28pm
1. you need to be a better photographer than everyone else trying to 'get a break'. If a Pro is looking at taking on an assistant etc, they (like any other employer) will give the job to the best person for the job.

2. You need good post processing skills

3. You need good communication skills

4. You need to accept rejection, but ask when you are rejected, WHY? Cause what they say, might help you self-improve, so the next application is more successful.

Remember you are entering a shrinking market (less weddings every year in Aus since 2002), and a market with increased competition (more photographers than ever before). You need to approach this in a way that makes you stand out from every other 'wanna-be'.

All of it, is such good advice, its worth repeating.

You're "stating" that you cant find "anyone to give you a break. Why should they ?

Are you knocking on doors of others showing them your portfolio of above average to excellent work ?

Are you tirelessly promoting yourself and getting involved in others within the industry ?

Are you building relationships with other related wedding industry service providers ?

Are you currently aware of the market, what is the low end, what is the high end, and determining where you can aim for ?

Go and get some pictures of weddings under your belt (and BTW I mean to find some people that will entrust you to shoot their weddings - not images captured at a wedding thats being shot by someone else). Get a porftolio of great images together. Get a decent business card. Get a business plan. Get some marketing material together. Get some decent gear, and then get some back up gear when your first cameras fail on you at the worst possible time (because that will happen). Get some clients. Get a profit.

Get a moment and you're in the wedding industry

No sarcasm intended, but its thats straight forward.

Making a point that no one will give you a break, indicates that you want someone else to take responsibility for your life ? Sorry, but with so much competition out there, I think that part of your question comes across as a big fat negative. If you're asking what others did. I did all of the above. It was dam hard work, and it still is.

macrocephalic
25-02-2011, 3:12pm
The photographer that shot our wedding did two main things, he had awards/commendations (for his low price bracket - we didn't want to spend $20K on photos), and he offered a better deal than most others (again, we didn't want to spend $20K on photos).

On our wedding day there was a junior photographer there as well 'learning'. It was good because we didn't pay any extra for him, and we got someone taking shots from a different angle - which produced some nice shots. I think it's either this route, or find some friends who trust you enough to build up a good portfolio on their weddings.

Dan Cripps
26-02-2011, 10:55am
It's an already over-saturated market.

I don't reckon there is a single city in Australia that needs another wedding photographer. That's why it's so hard and why under-cutting is so rampant.

Too many shooters scrambling for too few jobs.

The flow-down effect in all of this for you is that no one is going to roll out the red carpet and give you a break. Least of all someone who relies on shooting weddings to pay their mortgage and feed their kids.