PDA

View Full Version : Splash protection for 50D

johnrogers45
24-02-2011, 3:16pm
I like to take sailing photos from a power boat. At the moment I don't take my Canon 50D with a 28-135 lens out if the water is slightly rough because the camera may get splashed when we go over a wave or similar. I'm missing many good action shots during the rough weather. Is there any simple protection equipment for Canon cameras available short of an underwater housing?

Bennymiata
24-02-2011, 4:04pm
A clear plastic bag with a hole in it for the end of the lens to stick out from, together with a rubber band over the where the lens sticks out works very well, and is cheap and easy to get.

I've used this system in heavy downpours with no problems.
I then keep the camera and the fitted bag inside another plastic bag when I 'm not using the camera.

Sounds really cheap, but it works!

jeffde
02-03-2011, 11:48am
Google "tenba rain cover rc18"

There's different sizes and they can vary in priice so shop around.

I have used mine several times and keep it in the bag all the time.

Analog6
02-03-2011, 12:17pm
I've used plastic shopping bags and rubber bands, as mentioned - the white bags with handles are good as you can loosely knot the handles. I have now bought some 'camera raincoats' from ebay, they come 2 in a pack for around $10, are clear, and fit most cameras with a long lens fitted. They have a drawstring that goes over the lens. Just go into the Cameras section and enter raincoat in the search - there are lots of sellers.

EDITED TO ADD: Well, there were - I just went back to look and there is now only some dicky thing with a bracket which would not protect nearly as well IMHO. I found a similar one to mine here (http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html) but it is dearer, $25.

evilloz
10-03-2011, 3:20pm
It really depends on how much splash you're going to be dealing with

There's a product call rainsleeve out there that might be suitable for what you are doing. They are relatively cheap

The only experience I had with them is doing astrophotography, using them to keep condensation off the camera

Hope that helps.

Speedway
10-03-2011, 4:20pm
Try here (http://cameras.shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=rain+cover&_sacat=625&_dmpt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&_ssn=izenet_store&_odkw=&_osacat=27432&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313) I just ordered the 2X rain cover.
Keith.