PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Lightroom Metadata/Keywords

wideangle
24-02-2011, 12:51pm
When the time comes to move photos over to another computer (ie say for upgrading machines) would this workflow be ok for transferring photos work so all the metadata/keywords can still be accessed?:

1.export catalogue and save catalogue folder.

2.backup photos from computer (outside of LR) to an external hard drive

3.transfer external hard drive photos onto the new computer

4.Open LR and import catolouge settings

5.All photos should now have their original tags/metadata when you want to export this to another computer?

kiwi
24-02-2011, 12:55pm
Yes, I think so, missing one main step is to point new catalogue at new file structure

wideangle
24-02-2011, 12:59pm
With the ability to create a backup when importing photos say from a memory card, what is done to the photos on the backup device? Are they simply just transferred to the desired device, or is metadata/keywords also put into the external backup device?

wideangle
24-02-2011, 1:00pm
Yes, I think so, missing one main step is to point new catalogue at new file structure

Can you please explain what you mean by this? Do you just mean importing the photos to tell LR where the new location is?

wideangle
24-02-2011, 2:00pm
If you choose to export photos to another drive/computer via backup on an external hard drive that is an exact replica of the original data (file names/folders etc) will this backup drive be able to be used to then import the photos back into LR with all metadata/keywords intact?

From what I understand, if the files/folders are identical on 2 hard drives (one used as backup) then you could use the backup drive to resync all the metadata into it? if you the files or folders are different, then syncing the metadata isn't going to work?