PDA

View Full Version : nd filters for 10-22mm canon lens

mrrunx
22-02-2011, 10:54pm
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get a neutral density filter kit for my 10-22mm Canon Lens. I'm looking at getting graduated filters (seascape and landscape) and a solid filter (waterfalls,rivers and streams). Could you help me in what ill need exactly? I'm not a fan of Cokin after reading about the color casts and I'm pretty sure most camera shops in Melbourne sell that brand only so I'm assuming I'll have to purchase it from overseas online. I've heard good things about Lee and Singh-Ray. Any good/cheap websites?

So i think ill need the following items:

Filter holder
77mm adapter ring
Graduated filters (three types of strength which ones?)
Solid filter (Which one?)

Am i missing anything?

Greatly appreciate the help
Jason

robonrome
23-02-2011, 12:22pm
Hi Jason, you really don't need three strengths of grad filters to start with... you'll find a 0.6 or 0.9 to cover most of your needs most of the time and given the price of Lee or worse Singh-Ray you'll want to cut down as much as possible. I've had Cokin and they were ok, but you need their larger size (not the "P"), not sure if it's X or Z series. I never had any serious problesm with colour cast, but find the Lee filters are superior. The lee filters and holders are hard to come by. Lee seems to have constant supply problems worldwide ...I've had more success buying online from the UK than the US. Another somewhat cheaper alternative is HiTech who make full size plate resin filters like the Lee. You can try "2Filter" in the US for both lee and hitech. For your ND a 1.2 will give you four stops which is generally plenty for long exposure stuff in the day...but if your have the bucks and can wait to get one, the Lee Big Stopper has I believe 10 stops and can be used for some very creative shots (moving people just "disappear"). All that said... at times I find my GND filters a hassle and I find myself more and more taking multiple exposures and either blending or doing full HDR....more time at the PC but an alternative that I often prefer. Good Luck!

mrrunx
23-02-2011, 10:16pm
Thanks for the response! ill be going to Japan in a months time so im guessing the Lee products are out of the question with such short notice. I think ill just get the Cokin products as i can purchase them straight away. Ill just practice with them and if im not happy with the product ill upgrade to Lee. I will get 0.6 and 0.9 grad fillters and 1.2 solid as you suggested. Why do you suggest i don't buy the Cokin P series kit? is it because my lens is wide?

thanks!

robonrome
24-02-2011, 8:39am
P series kit? is it because my lens is wide?

thanks!

yes that was my reasoning - it's been a while but I recall in using thebP series on the 10-22 and 11-16 tokina that I was getting significant vignetting at some focal lengths. They(cokin) do have a lower profile P holder that might be better and if you're using a an interim measure might be the way to go.

mrrunx
24-02-2011, 10:15pm
went to the camera shops again today. Its the Z-series ill be after. I like the fact that it will fit Lee filters in the future. Just got to find the cheapest place/website to get it. Also i think the strongest solid nd filter is the nd8 which equates to 0.9 right? where can i find a 1.2 by Cokin?

iwkyb
24-02-2011, 11:36pm
Hello, sorry for jumping in.... I am about to enter the world of filter usage too and since I own 2 different filter size lenses (77mm and 82mm) I thought that going the drop in filter route will be more reasonable price wise. I had a look and the Z series is really expensive compared to the P series.

My widest lens is 16-35 on a cropped sensor, so 35mm = of about 24mm. Do you guys think I will need anything higher than P series?

robonrome
25-02-2011, 9:13am
Re the Cokin not sure if they do a 1.2 or four stop ND. You'll probably find the three stop fine for your purposes.

Re the question about 16-35 crop and vignetting with P series I can't say from direct experience, but it would have to be less of a problem than with 10-22

PH005
25-02-2011, 10:03am
With the P series you will only have to come up to about 11mm to hide the outer edges of frame, or just dont worry and trim up later in PP.

iwkyb
25-02-2011, 10:37pm
With the P series you will only have to come up to about 11mm to hide the outer edges of frame, or just dont worry and trim up later in PP.

you mean 11mm focal length?

mrrunx
26-02-2011, 8:06pm
is $315 for a Cokin Z-Pro U960 ND Grad Kit + Adapter ring a good price?

Not sure if i should buy a screw on Hoya ND400 with 9 stops or a Cokin ND8 filter with 3 stops for my waterfall/seascape shots. I'm scared the 3 stops won't be enough but like how it's not screw on. Of course there is the substantial price difference between the 2 aswell. thoughts?

cheers

peterb666
26-02-2011, 8:14pm
is $315 for a Cokin Z-Pro U960 ND Grad Kit + Adapter ring a good price?

It is a typical price if you can get one. I cancelled by Z-Pro U960 kit after a 10 week wait. They are rarer than hens teeth and the importer (Maxwell Photographics I think) could not provide an ETA.

Not sure if i should buy a screw on Hoya ND400 with 9 stops or a Cokin ND8 filter with 3 stops for my waterfall/seascape shots. I'm scared the 3 stops won't be enough but like how it's not screw on. Of course there is the substantial price difference between the 2 aswell. thoughts?

cheers

3 stops is fine for general photography. A ND400 is around 8 stops. It is fine for getting blurred movement in water in full sunlight or doing daytime streetscapes and making most people dissappear. I really woud not reccomend a screw in type filter as if you want to remove it and you are also using a grad you have to take off the holder to remove the screw-in filter.

BTW, you will probably get away with a Cokin P-series wide angle holder with the 10-22mm lens. It only takes a single filter. Buy a standard filter holder for your other lenses. I am using this sort of arrangement with my Nikon System (I have a Nikkor 10-24mm).

peterb666
26-02-2011, 8:18pm
My widest lens is 16-35 on a cropped sensor, so 35mm = of about 24mm. Do you guys think I will need anything higher than P series?

If you never intend to buy a wider lens, the P-series will do just fine. If you do have vignetting problems, there is also a single filter "wide" holder but I doubt you will have problems with the standard filter holder at 16mm.

Roosta
26-02-2011, 8:26pm
Just brought the H250 Kit ND Cokin 121 S/L/M for $99.00 in Perth, Comes with holder, and $25.00 will get you the screw on mount. I use (P) on 77mm no problems 18-50 and 70-200. Also have a solid ND8. Cokin

Or spend a bucket on Lee and find out you don't like them or it's not what you wanted, THREE ND Grads for $99.00 is pretty good price. see what works, then up-grade to the Lee later if you need.

Check out Land Scapes, (Rick Tas) posted some shots of Tas with his Big spotter, you could ask him for feedback. Look back two or three days or search his posts in Land Sea Scapes.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

PH005
27-02-2011, 8:16am
you mean 11mm focal length?

Yip.

Analog6
27-02-2011, 10:02am
I have found the Lee filters to be excellent. They are not cheap but they are worth the money. I purchased mine online from Teamwork Digital (http://teamworkphoto.com) in the UK, but they didn't have the holder at the time and I bought that from Vanbar (http://www.vanbar.com.au/) in Melbourne who were great and delivered it for me in 2 days as I was off on a trip.

Roosta
01-03-2011, 4:36pm
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get a neutral density filter kit for my 10-22mm Canon Lens. I'm looking at getting graduated filters (seascape and landscape) and a solid filter (waterfalls,rivers and streams). Could you help me in what ill need exactly? I'm not a fan of Cokin after reading about the color casts and I'm pretty sure most camera shops in Melbourne sell that brand only so I'm assuming I'll have to purchase it from overseas online. I've heard good things about Lee and Singh-Ray. Any good/cheap websites?

So i think ill need the following items:

Filter holder
77mm adapter ring
Graduated filters (three types of strength which ones?)
Solid filter (Which one?)

Am i missing anything?

Greatly appreciate the help
Jason

If you still have not purchased any filters yet, I used my H250 grad kit (cokin) last night, have posted some on the Land/Sea Forum, All exif data attached, worked a treat. $99.00 well spent.

mrrunx
01-03-2011, 5:33pm
thanks for the suggestions and input guys. i'm was sold on getting the Cokin Z-pro U960 kit but could not find a company with stock and i'm not going to buy the holder and filters separate as they will blow my budget. because of this i think ill just get the hoya hmc ndx400. ill use it on the waterfalls and streetscapes i will see while on my trip to japan. i don't know what ill do if its full sunlight while taking pictures of mt fuji, ill probably have to take the pictures early in the morning or later in the afternoon. -_- would it be a ok if i was to use the nd400 on taking pictures of landmarks such as japans castles?

@Roosta - Saw your pics and love the light shining through the clouds! have always wanted to take pics like that. :)

mrrunx
01-03-2011, 11:36pm
is http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au a trustworthy site?.. they are selling the Hoya ND400 for $99.95? waiting on a reply email to see if they have stock.

DAdeGroot
02-03-2011, 12:03am
is http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au a trustworthy site?.. they are selling the Hoya ND400 for $99.95? waiting on a reply email to see if they have stock.

Yes, I've spent faaaaar too much money with them. Can heartily recommend them.

mrrunx
02-03-2011, 11:32am
cool cool, the reason I ask is because of the price. It seems much cheaper than all other websites. Like $100 cheaper. hrmzzz