PDA

View Full Version : r-strap questions....

ving
22-02-2011, 2:55pm
gday y'all

the rapid strap (r-strap) seems to be a very popular item and one i am considering. looking at it it bolts into the tripod socket and the weight of the camera is supported by this point...

...this is ringing alarm bells for me! how much weight is the tripod socket supposed to be able to support? the camera is supposed to sit on top of this point not be hanging from it!

is it safe using this product in this fashion? anyone had problems or heard of problems arising frm hanging ones camera in this fashion? what weight can be supported from this point?

am I just being over cautious or am I being reasonable in thinking this way?

YF :confused013

I @ M
22-02-2011, 3:13pm
Welllllll, if you were to mount your camera on a ball head or even a 3 way pan head and then turn it to a vertical orientation the whole shebang is hanging from that one little thread again.

I am a bit in your camp though David, I don't like the idea of it much either. :confused013

Kym
22-02-2011, 3:25pm
Hmmm... not with the bigma attached!

ving
22-02-2011, 3:28pm
the siggy has its own strap which works well. i just find the neck strap uncomfortable after a while and think one of these would work better (with my smaller lenses)... if its safe.

MarkChap
22-02-2011, 3:29pm
Love my RS-7.

I have had no issues what so ever with mine, nor have I heard of any one ripping the tripod screw out of their camera.
Obviously when using a longer lens, 70-200 f2.8, the attachment screw goes into the tripod foot on the lens and not the camera.

Michaela
22-02-2011, 3:45pm
I use the RS5 with my 7D and 100-400 (screwed into the mount on the lens) and haven't had any problems. They do recommend that you lightly moisten the washer before screwing the fastener into the camera or lens mount to make sure it doesn't come unscrewed. When I'm walking I always keep one hand on the camera for security, but it sure beats carrying all the weight around my neck! :)

ving
22-02-2011, 3:53pm
just had a look at a d90 dismantled and the tripod mount is actually a large plate screwed into the frame... I'd say the only non secure part might be the screw breaking off in the mount...

kiwi
22-02-2011, 4:03pm
Ive run around footy feilds with it on a d3 and 70-200 and know many others that have done the same....and I have an earlier version and I believe thyve since strenghthened and changed the clip design a bit

I wouldnt be at all concerned,

macmich
22-02-2011, 5:22pm
kiwi
i used to play full back 30 years ago
i would have hated seeing the forwards charging me before i could yell mark all wearing r straps with d3 and 70 -200 hanging off em
cheers macca

wheellathe
22-02-2011, 8:50pm
Im a fitter by trade and the thought of hanging my camera upside down on the tripod mount sends shivers

macmich
22-02-2011, 8:59pm
i can walk through the scrub with the 120-400 hanging of the strap and have not had a problem
cheers macca

Camerashy
22-02-2011, 10:30pm
I've had an RS7 for a couple of months now and no problems, in fact far more comfortable that a normal strap and great for people with back/neck problems. You can be reasonably assured that the strap makers talk to the camera manufacturers before making these things and would not put something onto the market which the camera manufacturers did not think was safe. It would be bad PR for both sides if cameras started falling to the ground. BTW a hidden benefit of these straps is that you don't look like a photographer until you pull out your camera from behind you, allowing for more candid shots in street scenes, crowds, etc. The only downside I have found so far is that with the strap attached the camera does not sit flat on a desk or table whilst you are downloading pics, placing extra stress on the front of the lens unless you remove the strap each time. No big deal though.

magrose
22-02-2011, 11:12pm
Love my RW-1. So much more comfortable than a neck strap. I also keep my hand on my camera when walking which has the added advantage of should it become lose I will know before it hits the ground!

in2fx
22-02-2011, 11:36pm
I use a RS-4 with a FastenR-T1 on the manfrotto tripod mount and feel that it is secure enough on the body and have even had it attached to a 100-400 without any problems

macmich
23-02-2011, 8:27am
i also like how a large zoom lens used with it the lens faces behind you protecting the lens from branches etc

etherial
05-03-2011, 10:18am
Sorry I'm late, just catching up on some reading and PP!!

I've been using the R-Strap connected to my 7D with 70-200/2.8IS for about a year now and never had a hint of an issue. In fact I actually have mine on the battery grip which would be under more strain and it stays nice and snug. If it is a concern, simply connect it to the lens foot as that is more robust, but I've never felt the need.

Lani
06-03-2011, 8:44am
While I still really like using an r-strap, BEWARE......remember to check it remains screwed in tightly, as a couple of weeks ago, after using it for a few hours, and a bit of a bush walk....it worked loose and I had the unnerving experience of seeing/hearing my D700 crash onto the ground. No damage luckily.....testament to the build quality of the camera lol, extremely "lucky" that it hit the rocks, not into the waterfall I was shooting next to. :eek:
Took a few years of my life I am sue tho....so a good reminder to check, check, check.

wechap
07-03-2011, 10:46am
Never had an issue with my R-7, like some of the others have said, I keep a hand on the camera for security and check the screw occasionally:th3: