PDA

View Full Version : Macro Shot - Tips

bee
10-12-2007, 10:37pm
Im just wondering how do people take their macro shots (ie: format) ?
Do you take RAW only ? RAW + JPEG ? Or JPEG only ?
I know that RAW format is more flexible as you can do more editing on the computer.
Also, if I take RAW + JPEG, will the quality of the JPEG will decrease compare to JPEG only ?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Mods, I think I should have posted in the "General Help" section, please move it if needed. Sorry.

cwphoto
10-12-2007, 11:09pm
RAW only here. The JPEG from a RAW + JPEG capture should be the same quality as a JPEG only capture, all things being equal.

ricktas
11-12-2007, 6:16am
I shoot RAW only as well. I can set the quality of the JPG image if i wanted to chose RAW+JPG. If you want to go that path, get your camera manual out and have a read as you should definately be able to set the JPG quality for RAW+JPG.

Seesee
12-12-2007, 3:19pm
Just shoot in RAW is my advice and I know in my Nikon D-50 RAW + jpeg combo delivers the jpeg in lower quality and shooting in both at once fills up your memory card quicker...so why bother I say.

bee
12-12-2007, 5:23pm
Thanks for the advice. I will lookup my manual.
The reason why I shoot RAW+JPEG is because its easier and faster to look up all the images.
When viewing JPEG file, you can just click next arrow and it shows the next pictures.
But when viewing RAW file, you must open each file, close, and open the next one. Or is there a faster way to view RAW file like using next arrow button ?

Cheers.

MarkW
12-12-2007, 6:01pm
Bee
Is your system optimized for viewing RAW? - This means you would have downloaded the RAW viewer as a seperate file (assuming you have a genuine windows operating system). Once widows has the programs installed, RAW files become just like any other veiwable file.

I use ACDSee as my image file management tool and it views RAW files and the associated thumbnails just as if it were a JPG.

BTW for those interested MS has released the new HD JPG format - supposed to be a lossless format.

ving
12-12-2007, 6:53pm
just raw for me :)