PDA

View Full Version : drowned my d80, what's new?

antongorlin
19-02-2011, 8:15am
hi guys
today I've drowned my camera :(
battery is definitely dead and has a smell of burnt rubber, not sure about the camera itself, but I reckon it doesnt feel good anyway even if alive
nikon has lots of new stuff, so can anyone give me a brief idea what is what.
i think i need something same level as d80 used to be.
of course i want d700, but it's too expensive...

kiwi
19-02-2011, 8:19am
d90 or d7000

Darey
19-02-2011, 1:00pm
What Kiwi said.

I had a D90 and it was great, then I upgraded to a D7000 and it is fantastic. Both are very capable cameras and will give you less noise in low light conditions.
This should suit you because I know you love taking landscapes and seascapes.

The D90 uses the same type battery and battery grip as the D80 so that may be a little bonus if you have those accessories.

If you have trouble getting a new body give me a PM and I may be able to lend you a D80 for a while.

antongorlin
19-02-2011, 2:35pm
thanks guys
from what I read and especially this site
http://front1.dxomark.com/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Compare/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/518%7C0/(appareil2)/680%7C0/(appareil3)/439%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Nikon
i think d7000 is much better choise.

now the question is about lens as my nikkor 12-24 looks dead as well...

thanks a lot Darey! I'll see how I go with the new body.

not to start a new topic
anyone has an experience, I'm choosing between
1) Nikkor 12-24
2) Nikkor 10-24 (newer version of 12-24)
3) Tokina 11-16

arthurking83
19-02-2011, 3:12pm
If the lens took a large splash it may still be OK. If it took a real dunk, then there is a very good chance that the AFS motor may have shorted. It shouldn't... that is, Nikon should have designed it to be immune to electrical shorting out, as there is a greater chance in doing so, will also short out electronics in the camera too!.. but who knows? I think I'm sure in the understanding that it uses a proper ring type AFS motor, and not an AFS micro motor. I think the micro motors are sealed and hence more immune to the effects of water ingress.
I would say tho, and because you generally display seascapes, that if the dunking was salt water related, it'd have to be disassembled and cleaned, you don't want salt water in the lens drying out and forming salty deposits and also rusting out any metal parts susceptible to corrosion! definitely take it in for a clean-service-check!

D7000 will impress you for it's image quality resolution and features(compared to a D80/D90!!)

I'm used to the good quality that the D300 offers at ISO1600, and OK quality at ISO3200. Upon trying the D7000 and having checked ISO12500, I was amazed!! :th3:
Even tho this is high ISO specific, it's not just limited to high ISO, with that cleaner high ISO, you also get better dynamic range at base ISO. That is, you can shoot for better highlight quality and recover deeper into the shadow brightness levels with more quality than before,.. ie,. better dynamic range!

antongorlin
19-02-2011, 3:37pm
yeah, it was all under water and it was ocean unfortunately, so it's all wet and salty. guys at paxtons didn't even bother looking at it - if it drowned, it's gone. I insisted on testing and once thye put the battery in, body started clicking continiusly and focusing light was lit all the time - so it's having short circut inside. The lens wasn't accepted by their nikon body. I'll give another go with nikon service center at lindcombe, but I suspect they're really gone.

according to the link I posted above, d7000 has a VERY good dynamic range. it's even better than canon 5d mark II

Zenki
19-02-2011, 7:56pm
If money isn't a problem! Get a D300s for a better weather sealing and fast focusing!

old dog
19-02-2011, 8:30pm
I think the D7k is the one for you. It`s the one for me and I`m counting down the weeks till I grab one....:th3:. Shame you drowned the lens too.

antongorlin
21-02-2011, 9:17am
ok, so I've decided to take d7000 and nikon 10-24 somewhere at ebay, prices are much better :)

kurra
26-02-2011, 7:10pm
Please let us know if you are happy with it. I'm thinking of upgrading from a D80 also and I would love to know what you think of the D7000,

peterb666
26-02-2011, 9:23pm
Good choice. I have the D90 and the Nikkor 10-24mm. The D7000 is a desirable camera if you have the funds and the 10-24mm is a pretty sweet lens. The D7000 also has some weather proofing.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your loss but you have got some great shots out of the D80 so it has served you well.

gerry
26-02-2011, 9:56pm
ok, so I've decided to take d7000 and nikon 10-24 somewhere at ebay, prices are much better :)

I notice your in sydney, I just upgraded from the D80 to the D7000, cheap the prices at local sydney stores, at the moment they are equal and/or better than most online prices with aus warranty. I would mention the names but will probably get my posted edited ;)

Going from the D80 to the D7000 is a fair jump, things have changed quite a bit over the years, to the crux of the matter, the only cons for me related to the body shape, the D80 has a much better feel to the grip, there is also more land on the back to grip. Just make sure you try one out first, if you have big hands this could be a issue, albiet a minor one.... one of the super big plus's for me was the metering on manual lens, all these years of chimping but now my manual lens are about...10 times easier to use!

Coming from the D80, the lowlight capability will blow your mind! not to mention the dynamic range, the 14bit files also give heaps of latitude for recovering highlights, something I would have not even tried on the D80.

Good luck with it:)