PDA

View Full Version : Alternative print processes?

Ern
19-02-2011, 3:35am
:gday:

Anyone here interested in alternative print processes?

I've played around with Gum-bichromate printing and a long dead commercial colour proofing system in the dim distant past but the limitations of the neg. sizes I had to work with left me frustrated (4x5 and half plate from a Thornton Pickard field camera).

Gum-bichromate's limitations in retaining fine detail cried out for a larger format to maintain the impact.

Lately I'd been thinking that computer generated enlarged negatives were making the prospects look a bit more promising....

But then I reasoned, if I'm going to be limited by the capabilities of a scanner and an Ink-jet printer to produce the negative why not just give up and Photo-shop the whole thing....?

So in my perversity I went shopping....(I like shopping, money is utterly useless if it's not spent) and found an Indian 10"x12" field camera.

I'm working on cobbling up a mount for the lenses from an Agfa process camera (that lives in retirement in our back room) and a Packard shutter, to it. I've also got an old Dallmyere convertible lens from the aforementioned Thornton Pickard that should give coverage at some of it's focal lengths.

Once that's done there is the problem of finding someway of elegantly matching it up with the Wooden Surveyor's tripod that lives in the toilet (don't ask). I'm hoping an Ebayed Ries tilt head (on it's way), a bolt and a couple of washers will do the trick... but nothing I want to do is ever that simple.

Next step is making some paper negatives to see that every thing is light tight and functioning properly while I track down a source of film (any suggestions gratefully accepted).

I believe there is an Ilford Repro film available in 10x12 (ortho for that genuine period feel), X-Ray film (ortho of course), Bergger PFB-18 (ORTHO AGAIN) and that maybe Foma produce a 10x12 (pan?). But finding a source now that's another question?

Then I might just make some prints, I've still got the ingredients to tackle Bichromate prints lurking about somewhere, then Salt and Carbon (more shopping there).

Of course then there's the question of a suitable pack animal for field trips. Mule, donkey, camel (one hump or two?) llama....?

Am I alone in my madness?

Tim

StanW
19-02-2011, 7:44am
Best wishes with your project. You may well have to look o/seas for your film, and brace yourself for shock at the prices.
I've done a little work with alternative processes, but cheated by having negative copies made from conventional prints.
There are some good websites. I'd recommend AlternativePhotography.com

jjphoto
19-02-2011, 8:54am
Good luck Tim.

Have you had the Packard shutter for long? I've been considering picking one of these, to use some odd lenses on a 5x4 body, up but not sure.

JJ

David Woods
19-02-2011, 10:52am
Hi Tim

Freestylephoto.biz or b&hphotovideo.com in the USA has everything you require.
David

Ern
19-02-2011, 12:24pm
I'd recommend AlternativePhotography.com

I've come across AlternativePhotography.com, there is a lot of interesting stuff there to follow up.

Have you had the Packard shutter for long? I've been considering picking one of these, to use some odd lenses on a 5x4 body, up but not sure.

If your happy (or have) to work with longer exposures the Packards work well. I've got two #6 shutters one is 4"x4" with a 2" opening and the other is 3.5"x3.5" with a 1.5" opening. There's not much that can go wrong with them that can't be fixed with a bit of fine sandpaper (rust removal).

My one big tip is to resist the urge to oil anything, they are intended to run dry, and rely on a balance between the weight of the shutter blades and piston, and friction in the piston, to operate properly. Clean but not oily is the way to go.

Freestylephoto.biz or b&hphotovideo.com in the USA has everything you require.

I've come across B&H before but Freestyle is new to me and looks very handy, Thanks.