PDA

View Full Version : advice/ideas please, umm HELP

Danielle10
18-02-2011, 8:30pm
Hi everyone,
My dad called to ask me tonight if I am able to take high res shots of his band for advertising purposes, as he has loved my shots of them playing.
he suggested like a white background type thing and asked if I could do it. Nothing is set in concrete, but I told him id like to give it a go, I also said if they get someone else to do it could I tag along just to take my own shots for my own experience.

problems... dont have a studio, or white backdrop?
do you have any ideas on what I would tell the band members to do. (obviously i dont want happy snaps where I say to everyone to say "cheese"
ANy tips or pointers would be awesome!

dumb question... how do I make sure its a high res image?? shoot in Raw, fine detail??? see i have no idea LOL

kiwi
18-02-2011, 8:46pm
There are white backgrounds everywhere outside really, natural lights going to be easy for you

Look at photos of similar bands on google etc to see what sort of poses

Re high definition, you should save the edited file, whether its raw or jpeg at full size and full quality - should be fine.

Hope that helps

johndom
18-02-2011, 8:46pm
If you are asking for technical details this question should probably be somewhere else....
But.
ask your hub/boyF/dad for a white sheet, clip it up in a doorway/wall with some big welding clips from bunnings.
Find a spot where there is loads of natural light so you can do high shutter speeds. And something to control it so you can do low shutter speeds too.
If you can get them away from the sheet it will help.
look at flikr and google to get some ideas.
Place band members in front of sheet and play their music at them loudly.
Give them beer- not too much and definetly not too much to dad or the drummer.
Shoot raw is always the best bet. I think there is something in the library about that, fine detail is a jpeg thing.
Hires usually means big jpegs. But if you shoot raw you can edit them so much better- burnig out the white etc.
Shoot till your finger gets sore and then a bit more. The last one will be the best.

ricktas
17-08-2011, 8:17pm
Did you get these? How did you go at it? Might be valuable to know, in relation to your new thread asking about band photos!

Danielle10
17-08-2011, 11:05pm
Did you get these? How did you go at it? Might be valuable to know, in relation to your new thread asking about band photos!

I wussed out LOL maybe next time i might. Need more experience. i told dad i had no idea what i was doing and didnt want to disappoint. Im just gonna have fun with it all

ricktas
18-08-2011, 6:54am
I wussed out LOL maybe next time i might. Need more experience. i told dad i had no idea what i was doing and didnt want to disappoint. Im just gonna have fun with it all

OK, now considering your recent thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?89941-What-would-you-do), I think if you wussed out and just want to have fun with it, you should decline this most recent offer, as I feel you would be doing yourself and your client a dis-service.