PDA

View Full Version : Any risks with buying from overseas?

jessyC
18-02-2011, 4:26pm
Hello, I'm considering buying overseas for film and chemicals but I have two concerns:

1. any risks with x-ray scanners ruining film?
2. are there any customs prohibits on development chemicals I should be aware of?

Or any other issues surrounding this process that I'm not aware of at all? Would love to hear any feedback from people who have done this before... cheers!

richie4540
19-02-2011, 12:06am
Hello, I'm considering buying overseas for film and chemicals but I have two concerns:

1. any risks with x-ray scanners ruining film?
2. are there any customs prohibits on development chemicals I should be aware of?

Or any other issues surrounding this process that I'm not aware of at all? Would love to hear any feedback from people who have done this before... cheers!

Jessy, i buy film most of the time from the internet, either in aus or from OS, and so far have not had any problems, i ordered from freestyle, b+H, KEH for film, and 2nd hand gear and had success each time. generally i dont buy more than i would be happy to lose but so far havae not had a problem. I suggest using paypal or credit card then at least you have some chance of claiming the money back if it doesn't arrive or if it is not as describe.

as far as xray goes i have been travelling a far bit lately and when in the US the TSA inspectors who get bad marks generally are quite happy to perform a hand inspection of film (if it is in sealed boxes they might open the box but dont open the film), here in Aus however asking for hand inspection of film is asking for delays while they try and work out what to do so on my last trip to vanuatu I just didnt bother as most of my film is 64 or 100 asa and even after several zapps does not show signs of fogging. xraying can be a problem for ASA/ISO higher than 1000.
2, as far as chemicals go most developers are fairly non hazordous and should be no problem as long as the shop packages it well.

what type of film/chemicals are you looking at?

regards Richie

TOM
19-02-2011, 12:14am
get some d-76 in powder form, then you aren't paying freight cost's on the liquid content.

richie4540
19-02-2011, 12:19am
jessy, i also forgot to mention, that the forum is a good place to post a thread asking if anyone else wants to share postage on a order from a particular shop. i have seen people share orders from freestyle quite often.

regards richie

StanW
19-02-2011, 7:46am
Go to Vanbar for your chemistry.

David Woods
19-02-2011, 9:01am
Hi jessyC
I buy mine from B&H in the states, they are cheaper than Freestyle, as Tom said buy powder, otherwise it cost you extra for postage, because of the weight, my last order even with postage cost of $55 I still saved a heap, compared to buying in Australia
David

jessyC
21-02-2011, 3:23pm
Thanks for all the responses!

I'm really looking into importing film (and later chemicals) in bulk. So far film hasn't been a problem but not sure if this is the same from all locations. So far haven't run into any issues with Europe and Hong Kong.

Not very sure if there are any implications for chemicals but if you guys say that powder and some most developers are ok, then it's something I'll be looking into in the months ahead. Cheers!

fabian628
27-02-2011, 8:10pm
Have ordered from overseas without any noticable problems. Postage is the only issue. Its good to get a group of a few people and buy one lot :th3:

Beckmarc
02-03-2011, 1:28pm
Are there any extra concerns with X-rays and instant film? I am thinking of getting into instant photography possibly by purchasing a camera and film from overseas.

Beckmarc
02-04-2011, 3:52pm
Hi Just just received some instant film I purchased from an OS shop and it appears to be fine. I used the links on this site so that ausphotography could earn some money from my purchase

fabian628
02-04-2011, 9:45pm
thats good to hear.
I have always been curious about instant photography, i notice instant film paper is very expensive these days :eek:

Beckmarc
05-04-2011, 12:02am
I am not sure if the box with my order in it was x-rayed or not in transit but it had in it 3000 ASA fuji instant pack film which seemed to turn out OK. The 800 ASA instant film for my fujifilm instax 210 also works fine too. i might try my luck with 3200ASA 35mm film and see if it gets xrayed or not. This was my first purchase of film from the US via the internet and it all went very smoothly. The courier they used was fast but expensive.

mitgonk
05-04-2011, 10:52am
I regularly get Fuji Instant film from the US with no problems at all- though i've stuck to the 100 ISO film.

let us know how it turns out for the 3200 ISO film! hopefully there won't be any xray damage!

newmankl
20-04-2011, 10:26am
Definitely not. I can't speak for Chemicals (although I've definitely heard of people doing) but have bought a lot of film online. Its just soo much cheaper and easier to access. Even though you pay a lot for postage from B&H Freestyle; it is very fast and still at least half the cost of buying in Aus.

Good luck!

nickant44
20-04-2011, 8:13pm
I've bought quite a lot of 126, 35mm and 120 film from Asia with no issues.
I've also bought Polaroid film from the UK which was fine.