PDA

View Full Version : Flash

mopsy
17-02-2011, 9:46pm
So my husband has worked his butt off doing overtime which means he is going to buy me a present:)

I am thinking a flash and I have no idea which one would be good for me. I think I would want it primarily for low light indoor photos of the kids bouncing it off roof, walls etc but I would also like to try using it for cycling photography...where do I start?? Do I need a Pentax or is another brand eg. Sigma, just as good??

Kym
17-02-2011, 9:55pm
get either the Pentax AF540 or the Sigma EF 610 DG Super (not the ST)

http://pttl.mattdm.org/models:sigma:ef-610-dg-super

http://pttl.mattdm.org/models:pentax:af540fgz

They both have wireless which gives you great off camera options.

robz
18-02-2011, 8:15pm
I use the pentax af540fgz and i am really happy with its performance and versatility. I am glad i got the more powerful flash (re: 360)
The rotating head and tilt, plus diffuser etc may help you if you want to do a lot of bounce flash. .... not to say the other brands aren't good though.

rob

Frosticles
22-02-2011, 1:18pm
Hi Mopsy, I love the idea of spending your partners hard earned - go for it.

I have an older model Sigma flash than the current ones : EF-500 DG Super. It works well and i agree with an earlier poster regarding swivel & tilt. I find the swivel function invaluable for bouncing flash in portrait orientation. The Sigma works well with exposure on the K7 & the functionality seems good so I assume newer models would be good in this respect too. The only negatives with the flash are related to quality. I had to have it's mainboard replaced when it was about 18 months old and there are some minor issues with it such as the light on the rear panel is no longer working. Whether alternatives sucg as the Metz are any better in this regard I don't know - although I have heard good reports about their units.

Hope that is of some help.

Regards
Frosty

mopsy
23-02-2011, 2:39pm
Well I figure he got to go away and do his over time while I was left with our two crazy kids so I probably worked harder:)

I was wondering about the Metz but I have to say that I like the price of the Sigma which I have found down the road for $320. To be perfectly honest I have absolutely no idea what to look for really other than the difference in the output. The Sigma seems quite good to my untrained eye!

robma47
24-02-2011, 12:03am
I agree with ploveday, the Metz 58AF-2 is exellent

mopsy
25-02-2011, 11:36am
Well I have done it...bought a Sigma, have to wait for it to come in which could be today or possibly Monday:)...thanks for the help I would really have had no idea otherwise.

macrocephalic
25-02-2011, 1:24pm
I've read some good things about the Yongnuo's; as in they give good results for a small price.

And I just read somewhere they don't make pTTL flashes. Never mind then :confused013

yongkun
28-02-2011, 11:27pm
I've read some good things about the Yongnuo's; as in they give good results for a small price.

And I just read somewhere they don't make pTTL flashes. Never mind then :confused013

My first post; though not a strobist. But many of my photography friends are very impressed with YN560. I tried it hands on, it is pretty decent, works well with my K-r, most of all it is really cheap, only problem is its a fully manual flash. Of course if you have more money, the Metz 58AF-2 is pretty good value buy.

mopsy
01-03-2011, 9:09pm
So 'on order' is kind of a loose term for 'will get here eventually, don't know whether they have actually made any yet'..................so I am looking at alternatives and it seems there is clearly nothing comparable in the price range. I have had a look at the Metz58-2 which is a heap more than I was wanting to spend but the 58-1 I think I can manage (best I can find is $450 shipped from US by next Monday).

So my question is whether anyone has any thoughts about the 58-1. The guide number is comparable to the Sigma and I can see that Metz seems to be highly regarded in terms of quality.

I am no fantastic photographer by any means and I am definitely a beginner in terms of hotshoe flash but I just want to make sure that I don't buy something that I will grow out of in a few months without going overboard buying something which I will never get full use out of anyway.

MarkChap
01-03-2011, 9:17pm
Mopsy,
I work for a Camera retailer and am currently awaiting delivery of the Sigma EF610 DG Super, for Pentax, for a customer, I will again be in contact with CR Kennedy tomorrow or Thursday, I will try and give you an update when I get one.
The latest is that "They are overdue from Sigma"
Well der

mopsy
01-03-2011, 10:08pm
Sensational thanks...I spoke to a bloke at the shop today but really all he did was look at the computer screen which says that they are on order and haven't arrived yet which isn't much help. He did say he was going to call and get back to me but I haven't heard anything back from him. I figured that the issue would be with the supply from Sigma, just would have been nice if they had told me that initially when I enquired about it rather than saying that they expected it this week as clearly that is not really the case.

Thanks again,
Amanda

MarkChap
01-03-2011, 10:21pm
Sensational thanks...I spoke to a bloke at the shop today but really all he did was look at the computer screen which says that they are on order and haven't arrived yet which isn't much help. He did say he was going to call and get back to me but I haven't heard anything back from him. I figured that the issue would be with the supply from Sigma, just would have been nice if they had told me that initially when I enquired about it rather than saying that they expected it this week as clearly that is not really the case.

Thanks again,
Amanda

Don't be too harsh on your retailer, up until Wednesday last week CR Kennedy were telling me I would;d have mine by Friday, so maybe your retailer truly didn't know there was a problem

mopsy
01-03-2011, 10:51pm
Well that figures.....why can't everyone just be honest!!!!!

In the end if this is as bad as it gets for me then life is OK!!:)

sugarcourt
03-03-2011, 5:04pm
Even though i didnt start this thread i just want to thank everyone for there replies as I am looking at purchasing a flash for my k10d

mopsy
04-03-2011, 8:12pm
3 weeks wait for the flash.......2 weeks to get to CR Kennedy and one to the retailer.
I have decided that patience is a virtue...I will do some reading in the interim :)

KevPride
04-03-2011, 8:30pm
Question?, do they have any new Sigma 530 super still available, if they did that would be my choice & the price should be lower with the 610 replacing it.

It is a very capable flash unit.

mopsy
04-03-2011, 10:09pm
I have seen them more than the 610 while I have been looking but haven't noticed the price.
I may be wrong but I suspect that not many stores have the 610 yet seeing as though it has only just been released. I got the impression from the camera store that these were the first ones that they were getting.

Just checked price...same store 530 is $40 cheaper. GN is 53 as opposed to 61.

Happy to fork out the extra 40 and if you say the 530 is a good unit then hopefully that means the 610 is too.