PDA

View Full Version : Assisting in Sydney

RuckaTinaKids
14-02-2011, 4:47pm
Hi,
I'm a freelance photographer and freelance assistant in the states and I am really interested in what is happening in Australia, creatively. I was wondering what the assisting scene is like in Sydney or in Australia in general. I know that where I am, in the New York City area, the assistant market is highly overpopulated. If anyone has any insight into this area it would be greatly appreciated.

ricktas
14-02-2011, 5:12pm
Members, please be aware that anyone with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot seek employment etc, via Ausphotography. If this thread heads down that path, it will be removed from the site.

Longshots
14-02-2011, 5:42pm
So what or how am I meant to respond ? I dont want to contravene the rules here, but I would think that the question is about what the assisting scene is like in Sydney.

Do I say its as overpopulated as New York ? Because it is.

Good luck in trying to get anything paid, because again, the supply is huge and the demand is decreasing.

Or do I perhaps suggest writing direct to some of the commercial shooters listed on AIPP or ACMP sites, and getting their opinions direct - which is again probably the most helpful suggestion.

And it might be worth pointing out that to work as a assistant, you would still need a working Visa.

ricktas
14-02-2011, 6:04pm
So what or how am I meant to respond ? I dont want to contravene the rules here, but I would think that the question is about what the assisting scene is like in Sydney.

Do I say its as overpopulated as New York ? Because it is.

Good luck in trying to get anything paid, because again, the supply is huge and the demand is decreasing.

Or do I perhaps suggest writing direct to some of the commercial shooters listed on AIPP or ACMP sites, and getting their opinions direct - which is again probably the most helpful suggestion.

And it might be worth pointing out that to work as a assistant, you would still need a working Visa.

Of course you can respond. You can discuss what the employment situation in general is like, as you have done. I was merely pointing out, that as this is the thread starters first post on the site, that offers of employment etc cannot be discussed. General discussions about what the market is like certainly doesn't breach the rules.

snappysi
14-02-2011, 6:26pm
I would assume that without any direct first hand knowledge that you could presume that no matter where you where to look, the fact that demand is down and prospective shooters is up, that a similiar situatuion to the one you outlined as per New York would be similiar all over the world. In fact considering that even due to demand being down as has been outlined by Kiwis thread, even if the prospective pool of shooters was to stay the same and NOT grow, obviously this is still the same situation, that being less work per capita of photographers.

Simon.