PDA

View Full Version : Do You Do It With Your Eyes Closed?

Ern
08-02-2011, 4:16am
I've just got back into the darkroom after over 20 years.

A nice new Pentax K7 got me excited about photography again, but it only took me about a week before I reverted to type and realized I wanted some big negatives to play with.

Now there was something I had forgotten, when I'm working in total darkness, loading dark-slides, spooling film etc. I close my eyes. For some reason I find it easier to navigate in darkness if I do.

Thinking back, I did the same thing even with the lights on, when I was using a bag to load film. If I can't see it it just seems more natural to have my eyes closed.

Is it just me?

Analog6
08-02-2011, 7:25am
No, I used to do that too. We're funny creatures, we humans!

Longshots
08-02-2011, 8:27am
yep :) Me too !

Othrelos
08-02-2011, 2:38pm
I habitually closed my eyes when I switched off the main lights in my dark room and changed to the safelights, but I also recall reading in some genetics journal that people with blue eyes tend to have superior night vision than those with dark coloured eyes.

And here's a trick for you to do in the dark...learn to mount lenses on your camera in pitch darkness. Pentax still have an enamelled dot on their lenses to assist with this...most manufacturers have abandoned this for some reason.

Ern
08-02-2011, 3:00pm
I don't have blue eyes, so it's lucky I have Pentax gear.

I find screwing the lid on a Paterson tank enough of a challenge let alone mounting lenses.:o

vanngirl
08-02-2011, 5:44pm
sometimes I close my eyes when I'm loading film, but generally I like the feeling of eyes open in the dark; the sensory deprivation is quite a buzz. And I swear sometimes I think I can see things (hmm, blue eyes!).

sunny6teen
10-02-2011, 11:17pm
me too...it's pretty common apparently.
as you mentioned...even when using a light bag. even spooling feels weird without my eyes shut

StanW
11-02-2011, 7:14am
I must check next time I'm loading a tank.