PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the web

Jarra
06-02-2011, 8:29am
Folks,

looking at acquiring a new D90 or D7000 very soon. As much as I am determined to always buy Australian as much as possible I am having trouble rationalising the price difference between buying via internet companies as opposed to buying in Australia. The difference from numersous outlets appears to be on average about $400.

Is there any advice particularly regarding warranty issues with 'off the net' product that would make sell my offspring so I can afford to buy in Australia?

regards
Flash

kiwi
06-02-2011, 8:42am
Put simply, you have to rely on the overseas retailer for warranty. If it breaks nikon here will not honor the waranty and you have to send back to hong kong or wherever it came from for repair

Lani
06-02-2011, 10:23am
some overseas retailers offer "in Aus" warranty service for their gear...DWI for example. I have not had to out it to the test for camera bodies but I have for a t/c and it was fine.
It is a personal decision as to whether you want to take the possible risk....but lots of people buy overseas.

robcran
06-02-2011, 5:43pm
I think for a body I would spend my money locally and get local warranty protection. A body is the one thing that is more likely to need warranty repair than any other piece of gear.
If you were thinking of an overseas holiday, say to NZ, you can get your GST refunded if you 'export' the camera within 30 days of purchase. That would cut a bit of the cost differntial down. But I don't suggest an overseas trip just for that purpose - makes for a very expensive Nikon.

kiwi
10-02-2011, 6:14pm
Yes, I agree, if you do go grey, go local grey (if that makes sense) through places like DWI or D-D that do provide a back to base type service.

ameerat42
10-02-2011, 8:36pm
So, how do you want to lose?

bigjobs
13-02-2011, 12:59pm
I buy grey, and I can vouch for D-D's service. You get a DOA period of 1 week (I think), and if it's faulty within that time, they'll swap it for a new one - been there and done that.

Just make sure you fully test the gear, and make sure you are happy with it before the DOA period ends. After that, I think they do local (Aus) repair.

Personally, I think the extra $ for Aus warranty is not worth it, and it's only 12 months anyway.
You can purchase extended warranty from D-D too.

That's my 2 Cents worth ;)

DigiView
13-02-2011, 7:46pm
when I purchased my D90 I did look at the over seas market prices to ours and there was a big difference
but I couldn't take the chance as if something goes wrong then it will be hard to get it fixed under warranty.