PDA

View Full Version : Tassie Info

41jas
04-02-2011, 8:55pm
I'm after some information on a few places in Tassie. We are heading there on Boxing day this year for 3 weeks. One place we are wondering about is "Montezuma Falls". Has anyone been there or can tell me much about it. Can we get there by car. We are hiring a lancer I think.
Thanks for any info....even other places that are worth a look to I'd love to know about.

wideangle
04-02-2011, 9:07pm
Is this a new thread? Boxing day, that's a while away! - nothing like forward planning I suppose;)

David
04-02-2011, 9:12pm
Jules you must do Mount Field National Park..its up the middle and has 3 waterfalls including Russell Falls and Horseshoe Falls ...you could spend a whole day there if you are into Rainforest photography and still want to go back again.. I went in May, an amazingly beautiful place...don't know what its like in Dec/Jan. though.. Ricky et al will have a better idea.

41jas
04-02-2011, 9:15pm
Yep I sure did just post it...see date and time..LOL

I like being organised. I just want to find out as much as I can so we can talk about what we want to do while we are there and this is one place we want to find out about.
Some things we are going back to because we enjoyed it so much but there are other places I thought I'd ask about "if" anyone knew about them!

41jas
04-02-2011, 9:16pm
Jules you must do Mount Field National Park..its up the middle and has 3 waterfalls including Russell Falls and Horseshoe Falls ...you could spend a whole day there if you are into Rainforest photography and still want to go back again.. I went in May, an amazingly beautiful place...don't know what its like in Dec/Jan. though.. Ricky et al will have a better idea.

Thanks David. I was thinking of Russell Falls as well. Is it easy to access? We won't have a 4x4 but have.... great legs..LMAO

wideangle
04-02-2011, 9:24pm
If you have time the East Coast of Tasmania has some great waterfalls worth visiting.

41jas
04-02-2011, 9:31pm
If you have time the East Coast of Tasmania has some great waterfalls worth visiting.

The whole East Coast is my favourite part of Tassie. After Hobart Town.

What amazed me when I first saw it was how blue the water was. The second time I seen water so blue was our last trip and (2nd trip there) was on the Great Ocean Road. It's like someone tipped dye in the water. Just beautiful.

David
04-02-2011, 9:33pm
Yes IT IS easy to access , Mount Field National Park.. I was in a little four cylinder shoebox. .no worries. Other places I went to got abit hairy without a four wheel drive.. next time i go i will hire a 4WD and spend more time in each area. Cradle Mountain is amazing but it is a heck of a drive to get there and I am not sure you would get far without a 4WD.. I got close but never got to Cradle Mountain. . The East coast is obviously the best for sunrises... have not been down the East coast yet.

wideangle
04-02-2011, 9:44pm
[QUOTE=41jas;782152]The whole East Coast is my favourite part of Tassie. After Hobart Town.

Dylan & Marianne
04-02-2011, 9:46pm
I might add to this thread by saying that Mount Field in December was lush, with flowing water back in 2008.
I'm heading to Cradle Mountain for Easter and then probably around the Tarkine area for another week so any other ideas about that region would be lovely too hehe
hoping to catch lots of fagus :)

41jas
04-02-2011, 10:27pm
David. I've been to Cradle Mt. You can drive right up to Dove Lake and walk around the tracks. When we were there, there was ice covering the water holes surrounding the lake. So it all depends where and how far you want to walk. I loooovvvve that place.

I will definitely be going to Mount Field. Rick and Amy talk about there all the time.

Thanks dtoh, I hope to find some fungus as well.

mudman
04-02-2011, 10:49pm
this address will give info on motezoma falls Jules.
take clothes for all seasons.
don't bother with Queenstown, it's a hole.
go to Straun it's a nice surprise
the road from Exeter to Devenport has some great country
http://www.forestrytas.com.au/assets/0000/0073/west_map.pdf

41jas
04-02-2011, 10:57pm
by the looks of that map mudman, you have to walk in. I will have to read up about it more on google.

mudman
05-02-2011, 2:31pm
That's right Jules. i think it's about 3k. there is a 4wd track in too.

Analog6
05-02-2011, 4:27pm
And it will be HOT in December. There is a nice dirt road (OK for 2WD) from Orford down (south) through the Weilangta State Forest and through Rheban then on to Copping. When I visited my sister in Jan 2009 we did it as a day drive from Hobart - had a great lunch in a gourmet woodfired pizza place at Orford then did the drive. There is a small boardwalk through a patch of rainforest and some great views across to maria Island as you get further south. This can also be part of a journey to Port Arthur if you want.

CherylB
05-02-2011, 7:28pm
Unfortunately, the road from Orford south through Weilangta is no longer an option for the foreseeable future. It's been closed for over a year now because of a bridge that failed a structural inspection!

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/01/13/121251_tasmania-news.html
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/01/14/121441_tasmania-news.html
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/01/15/121715_tasmania-news.html

ApolloLXII
05-02-2011, 7:55pm
Richmond in the South East of the state is worth a visit. It has the oldest bridge in Australia and lots of colonial buildings. A drive to the summit of Mt. Wellington while you're in Hobart is also recommended. On a clear day, you can see quite a fair way. Would make a nice pic if it was at sunrise.

Analog6
05-02-2011, 8:58pm
Unfortunately, the road from Orford south through Weilangta is no longer an option for the foreseeable future. It's been closed for over a year now because of a bridge that failed a structural inspection!

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/01/13/121251_tasmania-news.html
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/01/14/121441_tasmania-news.html
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/01/15/121715_tasmania-news.html

Oh Bugger! I gue3ss that is the old timber bridge that I have a lovely photo underneath?

mudman
05-02-2011, 9:42pm
'the wall' at Derwnt bridge is really good. it's a wall of 1 metre wide panels a sculptor/wood carver is doing.
sheffield area is very nice too

41jas
09-02-2011, 11:58pm
I just booked my tickets to get down there....$265.00 for Ivan and I. How cheap is that!

Seems I will have to wait for booking the return flight as there seems no flights are in the computer yet other than virgin. I want to do more research and grab more cheap tickets.

Hee hee now I can't wait.

So if anyone knows of anything worth seeing, please say so here and we will try and see it. Heading there Boxing Day and will be there for 3 weeks. Look out Tassie. :D

Damo 5D
11-02-2011, 12:13pm
Walk into Montezuma from the car park at Williansford is about 3km, or by 4WD along the old North East Dundas tramway formation (which is also the walking track from the east)
West coast is rugged, East coast more picturesque, lovely everywhere with a photo opportunity around every corner and over every hill.
We spent 4 1/2 weeks there a year ago and it wasn't enough. I'll chuck a few photos up in the "places" section

41jas
11-02-2011, 10:24pm
Thanks Damo....Do you know the best end to walk in from? Photography wise?

Thanks for the information and taking the time to tell me.

Damo 5D
15-02-2011, 12:32pm
From the East at Williansford if you only have a 2WD, you'll get very wet and muddy walking in along the 4WD track, and it's further.
Sorry, I haven't put up any photos yet, still loading them onto photobucket.

41jas
15-02-2011, 12:35pm
Thanks....Willianford will be the go...I reckon it would be well worth the walk in.

crum
16-02-2011, 7:55pm
Definately walk in from Williamsford as theres a few little streams which you walk past. One has an old wooden bridge crossing is and its a great spot for a few shots.

Another set of falls which I visited on Monday is Forth Falls on the side of Lake Barrington. Its a brilliant place if you feel like a short hike. The track is pretty well defined and tagged. You would get some excellent photos there earlish in the morning or on a nice cloudy day

41jas
16-02-2011, 9:47pm
So it's Williamsford. I was guessing so but I went on what Damo said.

Thank you so much for the help. By what I've seen on the net there are some awesome walkways and bridges. Not to mention the falls.

41jas
20-02-2011, 1:46am
I just booked our return flight...hey hey Tassie here we come.

Do I know how to save or what???

3 weeks for awesomeness! (is that a word? hahaha)

41jas
20-02-2011, 1:52am
Montezuma Falls (http://www.railtrails.org.au/states/trails.php3?action=trail&trail=72) info page I found. Looks like a nice walk. 5.5kms of it. I reckon it will be well worth it.

phild
20-02-2011, 4:13pm
If you like waterfalls, Halls falls on the east coast and inland a bit Mathinna falls is nice and overlooked by most people, both are a short walk, although there is some gravel road.

41jas
20-02-2011, 10:56pm
Thanks Phil. I will keep that in mind. It's all helpful information.

AmyK
24-02-2011, 11:26am
Jules, you've gotta walk over a suspension bridge to get to Montezuma Falls ;) From memory, you're not overly a fan of them...or maybe that was cause I was making it wobble...

crum
24-02-2011, 7:35pm
Thats the best bit :D

41jas
24-02-2011, 11:10pm
Jules, you've gotta walk over a suspension bridge to get to Montezuma Falls ;) From memory, you're not overly a fan of them...or maybe that was cause I was making it wobble...

LOL Amy...that was fun. Seems if you are too close it wobbles more. Like it says stay 10 feet apart and its not as bad. It's Ivan that I'm worried about...I'll be wobbling it with him on there. LOL I'll take some pics.

easty1
25-02-2011, 8:02am
were back there in 2 weeks .The Hartze mountain nat park is allways good for a few good shots and is only a relativly short drive from Hobart and if you drive back via Cygnet - peppermint bay theres some great sea scapes to take

aquafish
25-02-2011, 9:39am
It's been a while since I've been to Tassie but I do have a snapshot of Montezuma Falls taken near where we parked our car. You will need to do some walking if you want a decent photo though.
Lilydale Falls, about 30ks from Launceston, is a must see. It's an easy 30 minute return stroll from the car park through some beautiful rainforest.
Russell Falls in Mt Field NP is also a great one to see (and the place hubby and I got engaged). The walk is about a 20 minute round trip from the car park.
Wineglass Bay on the east coast is also very picturesque but the walk is heaps more strenous than those I've mentioned previously but still worth the effort.
You've also got Cataract Gorge right in the middle of Launceston which is a bit of a surprise.
There are some lovely rest areas on your way up to Mt Wellington which are especially beautiful after a snowfall although that may not be as likely given the time of year you will be travelling there.
Strahan is a lovely area too. Take a cruise up the river to see more beatiful landscapes.
There's also the central lakes region which, if you're there at the right time, can fetch you some decent photos.
Tasmania really is a beautiful place. Every where you turn there are photo opportunities. Queenstown is the only ugly blight on the landscape.

rene52
25-02-2011, 10:15am
I was over in Tassie back in 2008 and we are heading back over in Nov this year. We did go to Montezuma falls and it is a very nice walk. I am not sure exactly how many photos I took but I did take heaps. The actual walk in from the car park is about 1 1/2 hours but is an easy walk. When we were there we were a little dissapointed because there wan't much water but it still was worth the walk.

If you get a chance go on the Gordon River Cruise at Strahan - just fantastic and we will be doing that again as well.
Rene

AmyK
08-03-2011, 1:35pm
Hahaha it also tends to wobble if you have an over-enthusiastic 18 year old jumping on the bridge :P

41jas
16-04-2011, 10:40pm
Yeah the bridge was sure different. I noticed with the research they had that kind of bridge. It wasn't me I was worried about. It was Ivan...LOL
Thanks for all the ideas. I wouldn't mind exploring around wineglass bay. Didn't really get in there when we were there last time. It's good having these extra days to take our time this time.
So is the Gordon River cruise good hey? It's something we might do then if we get that way.
I do have my favourite spots. I like Hobart itself and surrounds. The East Coast and Stanley. And MANY more in between.
I'll have to write some of these places down and research them further...Thank you everyone.

ricktas
17-04-2011, 10:20am
The Gordon River cruise is good...but...I have been on it when it was foggy. We saw nothing, zero! So we sat aboard and talked the whole way. So like the rest of Tasmania, the weather plays a big part in your experience of a particular place, event!