PDA

View Full Version : Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens for Canon 7D

David W
04-02-2011, 5:40pm
Hi

Has anybody got experience of the newish Tamron 70-300 VC lens? I can't justify the expense of a Canon L series lens however want a long zoom/ telephoto to start trying to capture wildlife. This new Tamron seems to be good value at around $590.

Would really welcome your views.

Regards
David

agb
04-02-2011, 5:45pm
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=941292

David W
05-02-2011, 6:20pm
Thanks agb for the link. The opinions and samples on that forum have convinced me to go for this lens.

agb
05-02-2011, 7:03pm
You are welcome. I thought it might convince you. I might have gone for it too except I already have the Canon 70-300.

ecopix
07-02-2011, 10:16am
A good compromise lens in terms of size, weight, optical quality, hopefully durability (an unknown so far, but seems well engineered). Corners a little soft at 300mm, but expected. Corners quite soft at minimum focus distance, even stopped down, but also expected.
VC well done, and worth the upgrade if you have no IS/VR.
Unexpected issue is that the AF front-focus/back focus shifts with shooting distance. This has been reported on the net and mine suffers. The camera's focus adjust setting for distance work needs to be different than the setting for close focus. This is an issue for close-up workers using AF (but rocking back and forth is often as useful, of course).
I don't know if this is a design fault or an intermittant problem with some lenses. There is discussion on the various sites, if googled.
Colour rendition is warmer (yellower) than Canon 100-400, and Nikkor 70-300ED and 80-400.

Mathy
01-02-2013, 1:54am
I'm resurrecting an old thread here. I've issued thanks for the extremely informative link that 'agb' posted.

I recently bought a Nikon D3200 as a stablemate for my Nikon V1. I have 2 Nikkor F mount lenses, the 24-85 AF-S 3.5 - 4.5 G ED VR and the Nikkor 105 AF-S 2.8 G ED VR, which I have been using with the V1.

I have said I doubted that I'd buy a DSLR due to the weight, until I handled both the D3200 and the D7000. They weigh more but they fit in the hand very nicely. I find the V1 with the 105mm on the front very difficult to hand hold for very long, the V1's shape is too small to balance 900gms plus of lens on the front.

Anyway, I need a lens with a bit of length and I've been doing a lot of research. I DON'T like plastic mounts so that puts all of the Nikon 'consumer' DX lenses out of the equation and I'm not of a skill level that can justify me spending the $$ on Nikon FX telephotos that are $1K plus.

After scouring the internet Camera shops and reading reviews of various third party telephotos, I've pretty much settled on this lens as the best choice in terms of price and features. It's available for around $400 and in the hands of people who know what they're doing (which I aspire to), produces nice images.

I've read extensively about some QC issues that existed in the early stages of production, which seem to have been resolved in later production runs. So I'm prepared for that.

Is there anybody on AP using one of these lenses? Or before I make the purchase, is there any other lens I might want to be considering that is similar and in the same price range? cheers Deb

extraball
01-02-2013, 8:37am
Funny you should resurrect this thread today, as I took delivery of a new one this morning. I have only snapped a few shots, but allready find that it the VC locks-on fast, and that it isn't heavy. It feels like a quality bit of gear, "maybe" the zoom is a tad stiff, but that is nit-picking at this stage. I will report back when I have given it a good work-out!

I @ M
01-02-2013, 8:39am
Funny you should resurrect this thread today, as I took delivery of a new one this morning. I have only snapped a few shots, but allready find that it the VC locks-on fast, and that it isn't heavy. It feels like a quality bit of gear, "maybe" the zoom is a tad stiff, but that is nit-picking at this stage. I will report back when I have given it a good work-out!

Please do, I am currently looking at reviews etc on that lens in Canon mount for a friend.

Warus
01-02-2013, 10:43am
I have one in the cupboard that I only used twice. It's a great lens and was only relegated to storage because I bought a 100-400L shortly after when they came on sale. I should get around to selling it.

ameerat42
01-02-2013, 11:21am
New version? Sorry, no. Old version, yes, used it for a few hours. I liked it. Nice and sharp AFAICR (AFAI + Can Recall)
Just wondering about the 300mm limit, tho.
Am.

extraball
01-02-2013, 11:52am
It gets mostly excellent reviews, which is why I bought it, and for less than 400 including delivery, it has gotta be a good budget choice. Cant wait to get outside, and have some fun testing it.

Mathy
01-02-2013, 7:59pm
Please do, I am currently looking at reviews etc on that lens in Canon mount for a friend.
Hi Andrew, I don't know if you've investigated, but Post #2 (or thereabouts) has a link to a forum where there are 164 pages of posts about this lens, many containing photos and many documenting the QC issues that occurred. It's a Canon forum, so that could be helpful for you, cheers Deb

I @ M
01-02-2013, 8:17pm
Thanks Deb.

aussieray
01-02-2013, 8:28pm
I love mine coupled to the 60D. I have a photo of a corella in the 'birds' thread, titled grazing corella. take a look!
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?116302-Grazing-Corella

extraball
05-02-2013, 3:52pm
I have read a review that says it doesnt perform well after 200mm, but great upto that focal length. I do take a lot of bad pics, as I am a novice, so don't base it's worth on my say so.

So anyway, this is what a newbie can do handheld at 300mm, cropped, a little shopping, and in medium light (early morning, a little overcast).

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/Gwind/good%20pics/fixduck-2.jpg

This pic looks good to me, and I am not disappointed with the pics it is giving me. Time will tell as I get better at photography, whether I rate this lens highly or not. One thing to note is that the lens is "fat", it does invade the path of the on-board flash. I didn't read that in any review, but then again I guess it isn't an issue outside, where it is intended for use. Otherwise it seems well made, buttons easy to access, zoom isn't sloppy, and it's not overly heavy.

ameerat42
05-02-2013, 7:53pm
HI Greg. How did you sharpen? (It still looks soft.)
Am.

extraball
05-02-2013, 9:06pm
HI Greg. How did you sharpen? (It still looks soft.)
Am.

I couldave sharpened more, but I think that I have been going overboard with it. I use the strength slider, and sharpen slider in the canon software. I sometimes go further with the clarity slider in photoshop. I have only just today discovered the luminisence sliders in photoshop, and maybe I have lost some sharpening to that. I thought the duck looked pretty natural, but you think he could use more sharpening? I do admit that I find processing just as challenging as taking the photos, maybe more-so.

Mathy
06-02-2013, 1:53am
Hi Greg, thanks for posting your pics from this lens, very much appreciate your response and I think I'll start the process of buying one :D, cheers Deb

ameerat42
06-02-2013, 9:18am
You mentioned Photoshop. Have you heard of sharpening using a Hi Pass filter on an adjustment layer? It's a little involved, but
sometimes helps where no other sharpening method does - in P'shop, I mean.
Am.

extraball
06-02-2013, 9:58am
You mentioned Photoshop. Have you heard of sharpening using a Hi Pass filter on an adjustment layer? It's a little involved, but
sometimes helps where no other sharpening method does - in P'shop, I mean.
Am.

I am not working with adjustment layers yet, had a go last nite, lightening eyes with an adjustment layer, but it didn't work. But I will persist with it!
Thanks

nixworries
06-02-2013, 11:43am
here are some free sharpening actions for photoshop that work well http://www.potd.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463

extraball
06-02-2013, 12:20pm
here are some free sharpening actions for photoshop that work well http://www.potd.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463

thanks, have added them to photoshop, but am having trouble applying them to the image:scrtch:

ameerat42
10-02-2013, 3:46pm
Extra. Open an image you want to use and follow the instructions in Rob's other forum post.
It essentially (I expect, as I haven't tried it) automates the method of using a Hi-Pass filter for sharpening,
so presumably, it creates another layer, applies the filter, etc...

The only thing I would say is that you might be better off understanding the steps - and what you're actually doing - first.
Since you said earlier that you're not quite that into it yet, maybe even this handy "Action" won't help you much at this stage.
Am.

extraball
14-02-2013, 12:18pm
Now that I am done with the UV filter, I am getting excellent shots, even at 300mm handheld with this lens. Highly recommend it!
:cool:

Mathy
26-02-2013, 1:29am
I received mine today :lol: As Murphy's Law prescribes, it turned up just before I went to work. I was curious about the VC control on it as so many people said they could feel when it 'locked on', so I took a quick snap. Here's the result SOOC

This lens definitely gives you a message - 'I'm locked on - take your photo STAT!' I think I'm going to love it when I get some time to play with it. I suspect that it's going to be a great 70-300 lens for a beginner at a sub $400 price tag, cheers Deb

extraball
26-02-2013, 7:21am
very happy with mine, look forward to your pics!