PDA

View Full Version : Canon Camera Repair Service

Old Skool
01-02-2011, 6:29pm
My 6 month old 50D shutter button stopped working much to my disappointment. (I reckon about 20,000 shots) Searching online it seems to be a common problem - not good. So posted my camera back to the Canon Service Centre in Sydney & got it back in 9 days all repaired under warranty. Pretty good service I thought as postage & weekends would take about 5 days out of that. Still waiting for Aust post delivery receipt that Canon got it though!

Tatts
01-02-2011, 7:09pm
Still waiting for Aust post delivery receipt that Canon got it though!
Didn't you say you got it back? what's the receipt for?
Awesome that it only took 9 days. gotta be happy with that.

Old Skool
01-02-2011, 7:38pm
I paid for Registered Post with Delivery Receipt so I would have thought the Aust Post system would have let me know it got delivered.
Yes real happy with the Canon Service.

Bercy
04-02-2011, 12:56pm
I have only ever needed them once here in Adelaide and they were fine.

davearnold
04-02-2011, 2:08pm
i had a lens repaired, about a year ago under warranty, posted and returned in under 2 weeks, can not fault their service.

Old Skool
07-04-2011, 11:22pm
Well the replaced shutter button has just failed again on my 50D! Not happy esp since I got a grip this time and I reckon 90% of my shots have been with the grip button since its been fixed. Will have to send it back to Canon again - just as well it is still under original warranty. Does Canon then warrant the repair for 1 year? Looking on Google it seems 50D shutter button failures are pretty common. Couldn't happen at a worst time as I won't get it back in time for big trip to Alice Springs and drive back to Melbourne. I feel a 60D as a 2nd camera mightn't be a bad move as I see they are on special at Hardly Normal at the moment - though 7D would be nice but Minister of Finance might not agree!

vk2gwk
08-04-2011, 8:12am
Do I understand correctly that the camera still works OK with the shutter button on the grip but not with the button on the body? Is it the button or is it something inside the camera that fails.... I have a 50D (as a backup for my 5D2 but would not like th have that failure as the camera is out of warrenty by now...)

Dwarak
08-04-2011, 8:35am
I guess it's time to upgrade as cannon have discontinued making the 50d

Old Skool
08-04-2011, 12:30pm
Shutter button on camera is the problem, a mechanical issue with the button itself. Camera will work fine with the grip button or with remote cable release button. Seems to be a known issue with the 30D to 50D series, do a Google search on canon 50d shutter button failure - over 65,000 results!
Am getting a 60D as a spare body to share the load with the 50D, unfortunately can't justify expense of going to 7D. Problem is the 60D is hardly an upgrade to the 50D, slightly slower burst mode, plastic body & no micro adjustment for the lenses on the 60D vs the 50D.

Bennymiata
08-04-2011, 3:08pm
Just wait until you try a 60D.
You'll be surprised at how good it is, and how versatile it is too, especially with the flip-out screen with its more than 1,000,000 pixels.

I also have an old D60, and the difference in ergonomics is like chalk and cheese.
Once you start using the 60D, and get used to it, you won't want to use the 50D too much afterward.

Personally, I prefer a good plastic body, as it doesn't scratch and get dented like metal bodies do, and is a bit lighter in weight.

Old Skool
08-04-2011, 7:27pm
Canon advised me that repairs are then covered by repair warranty for 6 months, but if the same issue arises again beyond that time they will look at the service history and maybe fix it free if required. Sounds good to me.
Bought a 60D today, just waiting for battery to charge to try it out.