PDA

View Full Version : Wedding lens hep

Shelley66
31-01-2011, 10:13am
My Dad (who is 65) is getting married again in April :) He is just having a low key afternoon garden wedding and has asked me to do the photos. Now, I am no pro and have told him so - although I can take a reasonable picture - however he has said that what I take will be good enough for him. I have a 7D with 50mm 1.4 and 100mm that I will definitely take with me. I also have the very basic kit lens 18-55 and a 70-300 F4 (normal one). I am going to hire a lens and thought of the 70-200 F2.8. Is this my best option or should I go with something like the 24-70? I will also have a flash. Thanks!

kiwi
31-01-2011, 10:37am
I'd also go the 70-200 and also an additional camera body

LJG
31-01-2011, 10:49am
I'd also go the 70-200 and also an additional camera body

Yep, agree with Kiwi, nothing like trying to capture a great moment and having to swap lenses to do it justice.

MarkChap
31-01-2011, 11:01am
Seriously, Shelley if your dad is happy with the photos you take and is happy to accept what you produce for him just keep doing what you have been doing.

Shoot with your 50 f1.4 and if you want a bit more length then use your 100mm

Rent/hiring a lens is maybe a good idea, but you will be shooting with unfamiliar equipment, are you going to get the best out of it ??

If you must have another lens for the day then yes a 70-200 would be a good choice, yes in a perfect world a second body would be ideal, I don't however think either are going to be critical to you doing your dads day justice

Shelley66
31-01-2011, 11:47am
Thanks everyone for your replies! I do have a 30D I can take as well.
What you say makes sense Mark as I would only get the hire lens the day before and not be familiar with it. Thanks!

Arg
31-01-2011, 6:39pm
I did a wedding on Saturday with a 7D and only one lens (my 17-55 f2.8 IS) and EX 430 II flash (with a diffuser sometimes added). Perfect! I promise you I had no need for any longer lens.

I am bemused by the suggestion of a 70-200 for a wedding, that's 112-320m equivalent on your 7D! Did I miss where you said you will be taking the shots from an apartment block across the road? ;)

I wonder if 50mm (80mm equiv) is sufficiently wide for group photos. You don't want to stand back at a wedding; too many snapshooters get between your camera and the subject, and the subject can't hear you and can't even see you at a distance! I know my post is at odds to the majority here, but I think you need more width not more length.

Just my 2c.

P.S. Canon's Highlight Tone Priority setting is a great idea for shooting a white wedding dress: essential if you shoot in jpeg, desirable but not essential if you shoot raw. Raw is very helpful if you find yourself shooting a white wedding dress outdoors on a sunny day, sometimes in dappled shade, which can lead to challenges in the ol' digital darkroom.....

kiwi
31-01-2011, 7:08pm
Actually i cant think of a better lens than a 70-200 for a garden wedding ceremony. :) You can snipe from the sidelines and the back without getting in the way of the guests and being too distracting (noise wise and obstruction wise).

I am talking about the ceremony, not the group shots.

MarkChap
31-01-2011, 7:13pm
I love my 70-200 on my 7D for weddings

This is a low key, once off, family affair, I am sure you will do well with what ever option you choose

kiwi
31-01-2011, 7:14pm
hey arg - have you posted any pics from that wedding ? would love to see some

Bercy
31-01-2011, 7:59pm
I agree with Arg, regarding the wide angle. Trying to get the group shot when you are at the back fence just doesn't work. Once you home in on faces you need portrait focal lght so you don't have facial distrotion; both the 50 and 100mm can handle this. One tip if I may, is - that if you are the authorised photographer, then the other snap shooters should kindly get the hell out of your way! You should conduct yourself with courtesy of course, but also have the carriage of authority. Wear a cap saying "Ausphotography" if that helps! You also have to plan your shots and positions well in advance, so you have pole position! That's much better than any lens combination.

old dog
31-01-2011, 8:15pm
I reckon the 24-70 on your 7D and the 50 on your 30D. I`m shooting my step sons wedding sometime this year and will have the 17-55 on the new camera (D7000) and my 35f2 on my D80. I think that will work.

kiwi
31-01-2011, 8:15pm
Lol, your MAIN role is DAUGHTER not pro photographer

Dylan & Marianne
31-01-2011, 8:39pm
I did a wedding on Saturday with a 7D and only one lens (my 17-55 f2.8 IS) and EX 430 II flash (with a diffuser sometimes added). Perfect! I promise you I had no need for any longer lens.

I am bemused by the suggestion of a 70-200 for a wedding, that's 112-320m equivalent on your 7D! Did I miss where you said you will be taking the shots from an apartment block across the road? ;)

I wonder if 50mm (80mm equiv) is sufficiently wide for group photos. You don't want to stand back at a wedding; too many snapshooters get between your camera and the subject, and the subject can't hear you and can't even see you at a distance! I know my post is at odds to the majority here, but I think you need more width not more length.

Just my 2c.

P.S. Canon's Highlight Tone Priority setting is a great idea for shooting a white wedding dress: essential if you shoot in jpeg, desirable but not essential if you shoot raw. Raw is very helpful if you find yourself shooting a white wedding dress outdoors on a sunny day, sometimes in dappled shade, which can lead to challenges in the ol' digital darkroom.....

I'd like to see the assortment of pictures with that set up - the reason being that the 70-200 is what I mainly shoot with at the ceremony and reception.
I have the wider angle on another body but use it far less until it comes to formal group shot time.
If you're interested in what a 70-200 on a 7D can do , you can take a look at the Katie & Trent wedding I did recently (not top class photos but for alot of them, I would have had to have been very intrusive to get a similar shot)

Roosta
31-01-2011, 9:27pm
Shelley, Have you been to the area (low key afternoon garden wedding) If so, how far from the wedding would you be, will you be behind the celebrant for the most part of the wedding per sa, if the 70-200mm may be to long, it would deffently come in handy for the longer needs, but if this more an informal affair and you can mingle easily without being obtrusive, you dont want 12 inchs of lens and cap of the front of your camera.

A 24 - 70mm on the 7D would be a perfect fit, leave it in Tv mode if not to sure on sweat spot of the lens, you'll get close enough and also be at 112mm at the long end. Your 50 and or the 24 (@ 38) should easily cover the wide shots, the lens is half the weight and length.

Just ask your self the lay out requirements first. Below is a great blurb on the 24-70 mentions min and max focal lengths.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Against (Check the weight and think about your neck as-well, two bodies and a 70-200 weights in around 1.4 kGs. alone.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Have a great day and post some snaps.

Shelley66
01-02-2011, 10:24am
Thanks everyone for your replies! I haven't been to where they are getting married. I FIFO out of Brisbane to either Darwin or Broome for work and my dad lives in Maryborough (Qld) so I probably won't get to see it until a few days before. I am not too sure on any other details at this stage. Thanks again! :)

Arg
01-02-2011, 6:18pm
Re post #6, my comments were not meant to say a 70-200 is useless. The OP already has a 70-300, she doesn't have anything wider than a 50mm (80mm equiv) except her kit zoom, and asked what one lens should she hire. I feel that, as the main photographer, she is not going to be sniping from the sidelines, and will need to be constantly close to the party and able to direct the shoot. Some of those who have posted in this thread obviously have the skill and experience to do it with a long zoom, but as a less experienced wedding photographer the OP will, I think, be best served by a 'standard' wide-tele zoom of good quality.

Some further comments on long tele wedding photography: http://tinyurl.com/mskgtn

And a cautionary note no matter what lens you use: http://tinyurl.com/2w8g5ys

bnkstr
06-02-2011, 12:23am
If you already have a 50mm lens then I'd say that the 70-200 is going to be much more useful for you than the 24-70 will be. Especially for the ceremony, you don't want to get too close to the proceedings and block the view of the other guests too much so you'd probably end up using the 70-200 quite a bit. You shouldn't really need to go below 50mm unless you want to do some dancing shots at the reception or you want a wide shot of a venue. 24-70 is a good lens but it kinda overlaps with the lens you already have in a way that the 70-200 doesn't

Woody08
06-02-2011, 10:32pm
This is a seemingly contentious issue. But the reality is that the ceremony usually lasts but a few minutes. Most of the wedding is the less formal celebration afterwards. This is where you need a versatile lens that will allow a variety of poses. If you can afford it, the 24-70 F20.8L is a brillaiant lens for a walk aroound at a wedding. I have a EFS 18-135 and its also a great walk around lens. Theres no doubt you need something more than 50mm for weddings.

Cheers,

John W

JM Tran
06-02-2011, 11:04pm
This is a seemingly contentious issue. But the reality is that the ceremony usually lasts but a few minutes. Most of the wedding is the less formal celebration afterwards. This is where you need a versatile lens that will allow a variety of poses. If you can afford it, the 24-70 F20.8L is a brillaiant lens for a walk aroound at a wedding. I have a EFS 18-135 and its also a great walk around lens. Theres no doubt you need something more than 50mm for weddings.

Cheers,

John W

not sure what type of weddings you go to but all the wedding ceremonies I shoot generally last an average of half an hour and more - be it Greek Orthodox, modern Australian, Vietnamese etc, where both the telephoto and wides come into play, and I do a lot of weddings per year.....

jrgdesign
08-02-2011, 12:01am
I'd say ideally 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 (with IS would be nice!) on those camera bodies for the event coverage, and get your 50mm for capturing details such as the rings, flowers, shoes..but if you're thinking of just hiring 1 lens 24-105 IS f/4 will do the job considering that you'll use the flash so low light condition may not be an issue.

Pine
08-02-2011, 12:14pm
I would mainly use the 100 mm asuming its a Canon 100 mm macro F2.8.
Recently used this lens in the Kruger Park and was surprised at the clarity of this lens.

Can now see why some members rave about prime lenses.

The 24-70L is a great lens but it is heavy and the image is a bit soft.

Although the 100mm is not a zoom lens you can move back and forth a bit to fit in the shot and also crop it afterwards as required.:cool:

Regards

alkt
01-03-2011, 11:57am
If hiring an additional lens I would go for the 70-200, I use it at all weddings I cover and it gives you the added advantage of being able to step back a bit and get great intimate shots with beautiful DOF.

Shelley66
03-03-2011, 6:48pm
Thanks everyone for your replies. Turns out the choice has been taken out of my hands as the 70-200 is not available for that period of time so the 24-70 it has to be! Thanks again!

tonykieuphotography
23-03-2011, 8:42am
I would use a 17-55mm on a crop sensor

screamer
27-03-2011, 10:30am
Hi Shelley, I would not ignore your kit lens'. The 18-55 will give you wider group shots if you need them and the 70-300 provide telephoto capacity. Light will be you big issue with these lens'. Not many people suggest it, but in low light with a good camera like the 7D you can bump your ISO to at least 800 and maybe 1600. You might like to have a look at David Zisser's book Captured by the Light.

I bought it for general advice on portraits, but it's main focus is weddings and it is one of the best photography books I've read in this area. Also talks about options for lens' for various aspects of weddings. The high ISO recommendation comes from Zisser and you might like to look at high website http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/ . He has some good video guides on the site as well.

para
27-03-2011, 10:47am
I agree with a few of the other go the 70-200

zolaxi
27-03-2011, 12:13pm
Shelley, being a wedding photographer is a tough gig, and combining it with that of daughter is even tougher. I know wedding photographers who, when they are invited to weddings as guests, leave their cameras at home. I say that as someone who has shot many weddings over the years.

But I realise there is no stopping you!

The concern I have is that you are putting too much pressure on yourself on what should be for you a happy, enjoyable day where you are primarily 'the daughter'.

I'd forget about hiring lenses. Use what you have and are used to using - you have heaps of gear, and I bet you know how to use it! Take a few shots at important moments, take a few shots of guests, bride and groom, and then go to the reception and enjoy yourself. You are a daughter who happens to have a good camera and knows how to use it, not a pro wedding photographer.

Have you considered hiring a pro for a couple of hours as a wedding present? Then anything you do is a bonus.

Google "Jeff Ascough" and have a look at one of the top wedding photographers says about shooting weddings. I'm not saying we are all Jeff Ascoughs or that we should be, but it is interesting, even inspirational. Note what lenses he uses!!

whytebate
04-04-2011, 9:28pm
I've got a 7D & shot a wedding recently with a 17-55F2.8 on my 7D & my old 18-200 F3-5-5.6 travel lens on my 350D. The 17-55 was amazing & just perfect on the 7D - I debated long & hard whether to purchase it or the 24-70, but firmly believe I've made the right choice. I haven't tried the 70-200 on a crop body, but I'd certainly be inclined to give it a go, but I agree with many of the previous posts - don't trial a new lens at a wedding for the first time. Stick with one you know like the back of your hand.

That's my 2c any way.

pod3009
09-04-2011, 12:06am
Hi Shelley,

thought I'd add my bit. My wife and I did a beach wedding recently - so lots of out of doors shots too! We both use 50Ds as our primary cameras and I have a 40D as a backup. She used a 24-70mm lens while I used the 24-105mm and a 70-200mm on the 40D. This combination did really well - the main lens being used was the 24-105. The 24-70 was great for photos inside of the girls getting ready. The 70-200 was great for candids and the 24-105 for everything else.