PDA

View Full Version : Resizing photos but losing file size

julie21
27-01-2011, 11:14pm
:eek:To enter a Club comp, I need to re-size my photos to no greater than 1024Wx768H ; 72dpi and no greater than 500kb fiile size at end. Then e-mail them off.
I do the resizing okay but when I do, the file size once saved as a jpg is on average around 85kb to just over 100kb.
The images are run through a data projector onto an average sized screen
Will such a small file show okay? Will the image come out large enough for showing?
Is there a way that I can do this and have a larger file size?
My camera is a Sony DSC-H7 and I think it only has jpg ( not RAW) though it could and I just don't know enough.
Any help muchly appreciated asap. Very new to PS - have PS7

kiwi
27-01-2011, 11:18pm
It really depends on hwmany megapixels you started with, and then how much you cropped and then what's lef after you've resized

I think it ought to show ok still though

julie21
27-01-2011, 11:39pm
Thanks Kiwi... :) I will take them to work tomorrow morning and try them on our Corps' data projector/screen and see what they look like.
Do you know if there's a 'formula' or order of what you do first? Like resize, then crop or other way around?
Would the order you do things in make a difference do you think? :confused013

kiwi
28-01-2011, 7:30am
Definitely crop before resizing

ricktas
28-01-2011, 7:33am
what software are you using to resize?

julie21
28-01-2011, 9:22am
I'm using Adobe Photoshop 7 for all post processing

ricktas
28-01-2011, 9:31am
Have a look at this tutorial Julie (written using Photoshop CS2) it should assist : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14971-How-to-resize-photographs-for-the-Internet

julie21
28-01-2011, 10:18am
Thanks again Rick.
Found out where I was going wrong
You will need to adjust the slider until the file size is below the required for the website where you are placing your photograph. As you adjust the slider, the file size data (to the right of the slider will change automatically). When done, click OK
I didn't know that I had to /should adjust the file size data slider to a larger file size. All a learning curve for me.
Now got the file size up to 354kb....happier girl! :th3:

Damo77
28-01-2011, 5:27pm
A level 10 jpeg should be adequate. And 500Kb is very generous - most files will be much smaller than that.

Remember that all jpeg files will be different size, because of the way jpeg compression works. The "busier" the file (ie more complex detail) the less it can be compressed, so the file will be larger. A photo of someone wearing a checked shirt will be a larger jpeg file than someone wearing a plain shirt, for example.