PDA

View Full Version : Canon lens recommendations

Wayno
27-01-2011, 6:10pm
I have invested in a twin lens kit for my Canon 550d T2 camera.

What advice can people offer for a mid priced range wide angle and macro lens?

I am new to the SLR so I don't need to start at the expert end of the market.

Cheers.

Wayno.
:th3:

Scotty72
27-01-2011, 6:13pm
I have invested in a twin lens kit for my Canon 550d T2 camera.

What advice can people offer for a mid priced range wide angle and macro lens?

I am new to the SLR so I don't need to start at the expert end of the market.

Cheers.

Wayno.
:th3:

So much depends on your budget.

But, for good lenses that wont break the bank.

The Sigma 10-20 (there are 2 versions) and either should be ok.

The canon 100mm (non L) macro.

Both are not premium lenses but both have plenty of happy customers.

kiwi
27-01-2011, 6:14pm
+ tamron 90 macro OR SIGMA 105 MACRO

Scotty72
27-01-2011, 6:18pm
... ask a generic question: get swamped with answers :lol:

Point is, they are all good... to a large extent, you do get what pay for... but, if you're not a pro or an obsessed amateur :)... you don't need to spend huge $$$

Bennymiata
08-02-2011, 3:12pm
I just bought the Canon EF-S 60mm Macro lens.
I bought it mainly to take product shots for work, as the 60mm on my 60D is just right for the size of my studio, and the shots look really nice.
Bright. vibrant and very, very sharp.
I took it home over the weekend to play around with the macro side of it (which will also be used for work to take photos of small buckles and fittings) and I am blown away!
The sharpness is amazing, and things that look so dull and drab can look spectacular when taken with this lens as the fine details can really be brought out well.
I took some shots of a tiny, hairy caterpillar, which looked a murky brown colour to the naked eye, but under the macro lens, you can see different coloured spots on it.
I tried a couple of small spiders too, and it brough out colours and patterns you just can't see with the naked eye.

The only downside of this lens is that it doesn't have IS in it, but as it will be used on a tripod for 99% of the time, it isn't an issue for me.

However, if I was buying one fo rmyself to use for flowers and insects etc., I'd have to save my pennies and buy the larger 105mm Canon macro with its 3 stage IS.

For the money though, the 60mm is a bargain!

gooseflesh
12-02-2011, 1:10am
Depends on your budget but my suggestion is Tokina 11-16 (instead of Sigma 10-20) and Canon 100mm (non L) macro..

ricktas
12-02-2011, 8:39am
Depends on your budget but my suggestion is Tokina 11-16 (instead of Sigma 10-20) and Canon 100mm (non L) macro..

I would go the other way, having had both, the Sigma is the better widey.:D

DAdeGroot
12-02-2011, 9:13am
When it comes to dedicated macro lenses, you really can't go wrong with any of the Canon, Sigma or Tamron offerings (60 / 100, 105 / 150, 90 respectively). All are very sharp, all do 1:1 macro. Working distance is the main determination. The longer the focal length, the more distance between you and your subject to obtain maximum magnification. This isn't an issue for inanimate objects, but for insects it can help to be further away from them.

As for wide, the Sigma 10-20 is an adequate lens. There are Tamron and Tokina variants in that range too. All work and if you're not a pixel peeper, all will suffice.