PDA

View Full Version : Lens bought Overseas, will Canon Aust repair, correct these lens?

PerfectPicture
27-01-2011, 1:23am
Hi All,

Just a question, if you buy Lenses Overseas directly (not thru Aust channels) Will Canon Australia if required repair or correct the lens adjustments for these Lenses?

Is there any additional costs involved with this or is it covered under warrantry.

p.s. l only have the received the receipt of purchase, not a canon warranty card? is that required.

Thanks alot

Cheers
Robert

PerfectPicture
27-01-2011, 6:37am
should l have gotten a canon lens warranty card as well?

Cheers

ricktas
27-01-2011, 6:57am
Yes they will, but they may charge you depending... Lenses have international warranties, but these cover manufacturing 'defects', things like lens adjustments may not be a 'defect' warranty issue, so expect to pay, and if they don't, then its a bonus

PerfectPicture
27-01-2011, 7:08am
Yes they will, but they may charge you depending... Lenses have international warranties, but these cover manufacturing 'defects', things like lens adjustments may not be a 'defect' warranty issue, so expect to pay, and if they don't, then its a bonus

Thanks so much Rick for the reply.

So should l tell them up front l bought the lens overseas on site, and show them the receipt and then ask them please to fully check up the lens for me as l believe its soft around the edges? Also is it worth taking in my Canon 50D as well? does this help them adjust the lens for the camera body or its not required?
p.s. l have had sensor dust on sensor for a little while now, should l ask them to fully clean the camera (whilst l'm there)?
What is the normal price to get this done, or should l buy the cleaning products myself and do it myself?

Thanks alot for your reply

p.s. l try to save $200 bucks and get it overseas, now it might cost that to fix the darn lens!? aghh

Cheers

ricktas
27-01-2011, 7:13am
yes, be honest with them. They have a worldwide database of serial numbers so they can soon tell if you are not being honest about where it was purchased. They know which serial numbers were sent to which country! Re sensor cleaning, again ask them the $$$.

whatsthatbeeping
27-01-2011, 7:31am
I've been taking all my lenses and bodies to Canon's Qld head office for Cmos cleaning and lens defects. I have become quite friendly with the service manager there. He has told me that Canon have an international warranty service for the "L" series lenses only and also the 1 D bodies.

I have never paid more than $50 for a Cmos clean through canon and they do it on site while I wait at the Qld branch.

Which lens do you have the problem with? A few of the Canon lens are soft around the edges, my 28-135 EF has that quality and it also had a back focusing issue. They will need the both the body and the lens for the calibration. The way the check it is they will put one of their cf cards in your camera and take some test shots of a focusing chart, then send both the lens and the files to the service department at H.O.

There are micro adjustments that you can do yourself to each lens and the 50D will store the info in the camera for adjustment when that lens is used but it is not for softness but for focusing.

Hope that helps

Tim

rellik666
27-01-2011, 7:33am
p.s. l try to save $200 bucks and get it overseas, now it might cost that to fix the darn lens!? aghh

This is the risk you take...whenever you buy grey you should keep this is mind....will the difference in cost pay for an problems? If it won't the is it worth it? If you never need it fantastic....well this is how I think anyhow! :th3:

kiwi
27-01-2011, 7:40am
Are you still on about the 10-22 ? I thought we'd agreed it was within standard ?

whatsthatbeeping
27-01-2011, 10:21am
If it's the 10-22mm your talking about, have you got a sample image showing the issue. I have the 10-22mm as well and it's one of the best lenses I have (imo it should have a red ring on it and the only reason it hasn't is because it's an EF-S mount, imo that is!!)

whatsthatbeeping
27-01-2011, 11:51am
Up date on the Canon service centre at Cannon Hill, I just found out that Canon has closed it down (in all their wisdom) * removed- members with under 50 posts cannot post information about commercial companies, please read the site rules : admin *

AIPP Blog has more info on why here (http://www.qld.aippblog.com/?p=632)

ricktas
27-01-2011, 12:38pm
Up date on the Canon service centre at Cannon Hill, I just found out that Canon has closed it down (in all their wisdom) * removed- members with under 50 posts cannot post information about commercial companies, please read the site rules : admin *
AIPP Blog has more info on why here (http://www.qld.aippblog.com/?p=632)

This happened months ago. General Public either find 3rd party repairers or they deal with Canon in Sydney.

PerfectPicture
27-01-2011, 2:23pm
thanks everybody for your response.

l have this morning taken my Canon 50D + Canon 10-22mm lens in for Canon Australia service and (maybe calibration on lens).
My Canon 50D is getting a full sensor clean and look over.
They are quite nice there, spoke with Ernie, whom in turn spoke to his manager (some lady) , and she told me Canon Policies in regards to Lens and International warranties is they are going to Stop this in the very near future! :0 l spoke nicely to her and mentioned l just bought this Canon lens and its soft around the outsides. Her first response was 'Legal have to advise us on best course of action'. to finally getting them to tick under warranty on the slip of paper. So maybe no Charge :) fingers crossed though, but no guarantees.

Also full sensor clean for Canon 50D (could take up to 10days) and costs me $85.00 dollars to do.
Also hopefully they calibrate the lens to the camera body as well, as l hope to use this lens alot in the future.

Citiwide on the other hand, have straight out refused to help me in any way and are now ignoring all of my emails to them . What a bunch of b@stards!!!

Hopefully Canon comes through for me :)

Bercy
27-01-2011, 3:51pm
This international/Australian theme keeps coming back - The cost infrastructures in other countries are very different from Australia. When you are buying an Australian lens you're buying an Australian warrantee. The nice clean building pays Australian rent, Australian insurance and other infrastructure costs and Australian wages and conditions are paid. So to bring an item from Uzbekistan, where the infrastructure costs are very much lower than here, but expect our services with the accorded cost centres to repair the imported device doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

Roosta
27-01-2011, 3:59pm
Hay Perfect Picture. I have the 50D as well, I'm sure in the settings there is an area for lens detection and micro adjustments. Sorry dont have camera infront of me, but I was able to set up my 70-200 L to my body with it. Not sure if this will help you completely.

Bennymiata
27-01-2011, 5:09pm
It seems strange to me that Canon don't warranty stuff that was bought overseas, as the Canon office here is wholly owned by Canon in Japan, and not by some Australian 3rd party like CR Kennedy with Sigma, Pentax etc.
If Canon Aust was owned by an independant, I could fully understand that they would not offer warranty on imported lenses, but as they are a part of Canon Japan, they should look after ALL of thier products, regardless of where they were bought or where they are used.
If Canon wanted to stamp out grey imports, all they have to do is to have world parity pricing and it would stop, but they insist on having our prices higher than most other countries.

If I ordered and collected a new Porsche (I wish) from the factory in Germany, when I brought it to Australia, Porsche Australia would look after the warranty, even though ordering and collecting it from the factory offers you significant savings in cost.

IMHO, what Canon are doing is saying that they will charge you significantly more for your stuff if bought here, and if you actually buy their products at the right price from another country, then you are on your own as we didn't make some exhorbitant mark-up on your goods and because of that, you will suffer.

My company sells stuff to various overseas markets, and their retail prices are almost exactly the same as they are here, with the exception of local taxes.
Some countries we sell to have import duties and some don't, but we make sure the pricing policy is for the pricing to be very similar regardless of where they are sold.
Surely, Canon can do the same.
If someone bought one of our products overseas, and sent it back to us for repair, we would honour that repair regardless of where the product was bought or where it was used.

Xenedis
27-01-2011, 7:05pm
This international/Australian theme keeps coming back - The cost infrastructures in other countries are very different from Australia. When you are buying an Australian lens you're buying an Australian warrantee. The nice clean building pays Australian rent, Australian insurance and other infrastructure costs and Australian wages and conditions are paid. So to bring an item from Uzbekistan, where the infrastructure costs are very much lower than here, but expect our services with the accorded cost centres to repair the imported device doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

When you consider how ridiculously price-gouged for photographic equipment in Australia we have been and continue to be, I somehow find that philanthropy doesn't quite come into the equation when I'm keen to purchase a lens.

By buying online, I have literally saved thousands of dollars over highly-inflated retail prices.

PerfectPicture
12-02-2011, 2:27am
courtesy update on this thread, Today l picked up my canon 50D Camera body are a thorough clean (cost $80) + a newly optical adjustment re-alignment on the Canon 10-22mm Lens All for FREE covered under warranty. :D

Canon Australia did a fantastic Job and you have to applaud a business & organisation whom respects the customer and stand by their Products 100%

Thank you Canon :) :D

arthurking83
12-02-2011, 9:58am
I'm pretty sure that Canon Australia is a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon(worldwide), so where the lens is purchased should really make no difference at all to the operating costs of Canon, as a worldwide enterprise.

So even if you did purchase the item from Canon Uzbekistan, and it costs Canon Australia a small loss in repairing the item under warranty(as they've had no income from the gear sale), Canon Worldwide are the ones that have still made the sale and hence profit.

In the end, Canon Inc (worldwide) is the entity still making the profit (or possibly loss), and Canon Australia is only a small part of that result.

Years back, Maxwell's was the Nikon importer into Aus, so they'd have to absorb part of the costs of warranty repairs, whereas now Nikon Aus is owned by Nikon Inc, so there's the same situation for us.

Pentax is imported and distributed by C.R Kennedy(as is Sigma gear).
That I know of C R Kennedy at least price match on grey import prices and then give you the local warranty, so it pays to purchase a Sigma lens locally to be covered in that respect. Their website clearly states that parallel imported Sigma gear will not be covered by their warranty service, which to me sounds like a fair deal too, as CRKennedy is not owned by Sigma Inc and they have to keep their bottom line in the black any way they can.
This situation sounds perfectly acceptable, and kudos to CRKennedy for at least the price matching deal too.

The local subsidiaries of Canon and Nikon have a lot to learn from the likes of CRK, it's not as tho Canon or Nikon Aus are purchasing their goods at the normal distributor rates either! They would have direct access to factory prices, albeit with added shipping costs due to our geographical location.
So the theory goes that if a third party importer/distributor can do that(price matching) why couldn't Nikon or Canon Aus? :rolleyes:

Robert. I think that Canon did address your issue under warranty is not something that should be applauded. It should be expected.

kiwi
12-02-2011, 11:43am
Actually I thought Canon Australia was independant of canon worldwide

PerfectPicture
13-02-2011, 4:52am
Actually I thought Canon Australia was independant of canon worldwide

l thought that Canon Australia is a subsidiary of Canon Inc. !?
Which was formed in 1969 in the name change, which was originally named Canon Camera Co., Inc in 1947, after its first introduction of its first camera in 1933.
but anyway ... What is the real difference to the end consumer !!! :)