PDA

View Full Version : 85mm F1.4

ncbuxton
26-01-2011, 7:21pm
Are there any significant OPTICAL differences between the F1.4D an dF1.4G (newer) versions of the 85m lens?? The lens hood mount is different Screw on the old, bayonet on the new. If the lenses are different - is the difference noticeable 1) on a large print 2) when projected using a data projector? The dollar$ for the newer lens are significantly higher.
Thanks for the advice.

kiwi
26-01-2011, 7:43pm
A lot of reviews say that the D optically is better

Sar NOP
27-01-2011, 12:54pm
Havec a look at this lab comparison between the two models :
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=641&Camera=614&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=732&CameraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

The main difference is in mid-frame and corner.
For my shooting style, sharpness should be in the whole frame from centre to corner and from wide open. That's why I chose the G version instead of the D model.

Photophilanthropist
28-02-2011, 8:30pm
I have the the G and can honestly say it is better than the D, but only just. Improved AF and Warmer tones are a winner for me and the bokeh is slightly better, it's built like a tank and the images are superb, second to none. But in the grand scheme of things, this lens is rare in oz at the moment... I had to wait 2 months from release and was lucky to get it in that time frame. Even now most retailers still don't have it on the shelves... There might be copys somewhere but don't hold your breath, ordering seems to be the only way to go at the moment and you will be waiting. If you can pick up the D you still will not be losing out... I'm just #### when it comes to lenses these days;-)... And of course the D's are much cheaper.

Cheers Paul

Wayne
01-03-2011, 2:51am
I have the "D" and share the view it is better optically than the "G" and at double the price, the "G" offers little to nothing over the old as the old locks on quite fast with no built in focus motor. I'm a major gear head, but wouldn't shell out for the new model of this lens.

scpleta
01-03-2011, 1:50pm
I just got the 85mm 1.4D. I just couldn't justify the price difference between the "G" over the "D". Both are relatively sharp. Bokeh is almost the same. So, I settled for the "D" instead.

So, it boils down to how "critical" you really are in terms of the features. If you think you need the specs from the "G", then go for it.

mongo
01-03-2011, 2:38pm
Mongo is very happy with his older AIs version.
Mongo has heard good and bad about both G and D versions. Sar’s attached chart confirms what Mongo has heard. In simple terms, the G is measurably better mid-frame and corners and the D is supposed to be better in the centre. However, looking at the chart test results, there is little to nothing between them for centre resolution. In fact, Mongo would say even the centre is better on the G also (but not as noticeable as the other differences).

Both have a high standard in any event - so which one you choose is up to you. If you could take a few test frames with both on your camera body, it would become clearer pretty quickly whether it is worth double the money. Surprisingly, it is one of the few lenses which has been updated without the need to use low dispersion glass elements.

N*A*M
03-03-2011, 10:17am
flaring is definitely an issue with the D version. shooting into backlight will kill contrast and perceived sharpness. however, you may consider this as a positive characteristic of the D lens. it certainly gives it that distinctive look that's pleasing to some people. it always reminds me of summers gone past. i do love this lens and the images it produces. i do wish it had a better reversible petal hood and closer focusing distance. it's a great lens to push your creativity. try freelensing with it, and also the brenizer method. it opens up what you can produce. imho, if you get it right and print it big, the final output cannot be imitated/faked with any other lens.

i have not tried the G version, but on cost vs return alone, i would not consider it for myself. if i were to drop some dollars into another nikkor fast prime, it would be the 24. if i were to get another 85, i might consider the sigma which is also quite well regarded.

BrascoDon
21-03-2011, 10:48pm
This is all most helpful. A lady at work just bought the D due to the sudden reduction on release of the G. I've been a bit sceptical of the new lens releases but it all depends on what you plan to do with them I suppose. All the same I swy toward the D for all the aforementioned reasons. Thanks all. Don

ncbuxton
22-03-2011, 6:41pm
We ended up with the D version. Price was a tad better and gives me a start towards the next optic!