PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my e620 and buy an EPL-2

lanegd01
22-01-2011, 5:38pm
I have always preferred smaller cameras and I find I am really attracted to the Epl-2

Arg
23-01-2011, 12:13am
You already have a relatively compact camera, and you will be taking a step backwards in terms of handling, responsiveness and overall ability, not to mention the benefits of an optical viewfinder.

With the 620 you also have access to possibly the best set of interchangable lenses of any maker, especially in zooms. Yes the Pen can take the four thirds lenses but only with an adapter which doubles the inconvenience of using them. (I can assure you from experience that the inconvenience of using an adaptor every time you mount a lens is the quickest way to consign it to the closet).

I was very very excited about micro four thirds when it came out, but slowly came to the conclusion I was valuing smallness too highly against the many concessions. The bottom line about these cameras (so far) is that they present themselves as a dslr in a compact package, but actuially deliver a halfway house being bigger than a compact and less able than a dslr.

You will definitely be going backwards in terms of what you can do, and yet your Pen still won't fit in a pocket and will still need a bag!

If you are keen on photography, and it's going to be your only system, and you have clearly made the jump to dslr, my advice is to stick to the admirable and highly capable (and smaller-than-most) 620.

dannat
26-01-2011, 7:45pm
i got rid of my pen e-p1, i bought a samsung ex-1 instead & i thought it out-performed it.. i do like olympus though, started with an e-500, i have have a 400d with IR filter removed for taking astro photos -the price & lack of oly lenses cf canon/nikon is a shame -i really liked shooting with the oly cameras. keep the e620 i reckon

ricktas
26-01-2011, 7:54pm
A reminder here that trading of gear is not allowed on Ausphotography. If this thread results in an attempt to trade in relation to the E620, be warned that it could result in the members involved being banned from the site.

ericimbs
24-03-2011, 9:49am
Hey, if you prefer smaller cameras at the moment, go with the E-PL2 or the E-P2. I think personal preference is important, and it will give you the opportunity to try different cameras and formats. Nothing better than trying heaps of different cameras because over time you will develop a really clear understanding of what you need to get out of your equipment and eventaully you'll settle on a system/format that will form your preferred, foundational kit.

You're human and there's nothing wrong with chopping and changing until you find what's right for you.

ericimbs
24-03-2011, 9:53am
My only piece of advice on this would be to buy the latest version of what you want to try. If after a few weeks you decide you don't like it, or want to change again, you're not selling something that has been supersceded one or twice already.

Sutto
24-03-2011, 4:20pm
See I'mthe opposite..... I've got the E-PL1 and love it. I bought my missus the E-620 because I wanted her to leave mine alone when I wanted to use it, the thing is thoughthat I wanted to use the same lens on both so it works well. I find having the E-PL1 a pain using the adapter and wish I could just change lens straight away.

I am currently looking at up-grading to a full DSLR, as the menu settings on the E-PL1 are pain when shooting motorsports.

lanegd01
24-03-2011, 7:49pm
I sold the e620 and bought an E-pl2 with a 14-150mm. I have been so busy I haven't had much chance to use. I also sold off most of my e series lenses. I have kept the 12-60 and 50m-200 for the moment. I do like the smaller nature of camera. Much easier to carry around. I am off to Malaysia next month so I hope to give it a good work out then.

lanegd01
23-05-2011, 6:58pm
I thought I might share how I got along. I like the e-pl2 but don't love it the way I loved the E620:eek:. I really appreciate the small form factor but the zuikio pro grade lenses are a waste of time on it. They the far too long to auto-focus. The kit lens are great but the noise factor is higher than with the E620 with the pro lenses. I am staying with it for the moment, having bought a lot of kit but i think I will be going Canikon after this, as the E5 is just too expensive in comparison. I also found out that I am a viewfinder shooter!!!

Arg
25-05-2011, 11:19am
Then try the EVF accessory.

Also a nice review on how to get the best out of this camera: http://tinyurl.com/4h2yu86

lanegd01
25-05-2011, 3:55pm
I've had one on order for a month. Just cancelled the order. I might try on ebay!!