PDA

View Full Version : C-41 black and white film

geck
19-01-2011, 9:54pm
Hey peoples,

I'm just after a bit of advice on C-41 black and white films. I've used BW400CN which I didn't mind, but just recently ran a roll of Ilford XP2-400 through the F5 and it's awesome, I'm loving the contrast and the deep deep blacks.

I guess my question is are there any others that people might recommend? I do like true B&W films as well, but I've not quite got my developing kit complete and $35/roll for developing is a little steep, especially if I'm taking a roll a week...

Cheers - Zac

StanW
20-01-2011, 8:34am
I don't know of any other C41 b&w films, but I may be wrong.
I'm told that processing is not difficult, but you're working at higher temperatures than with conventional B&W films. The process isn't difficult as long as you go strictly by the book.

David Woods
22-01-2011, 3:36pm
$35 a roll it should only cost $15, so I done a quick seach and Fotofast developes B&W $15 with a 5 day turnaround.

David

MarkChap
22-01-2011, 4:13pm
$35.00 bucks roll for develop only.

That is a but steep, there are at least a couple of places that do it for less than half that.

I don't k.ow of another C-41 Black and White either.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

fabian628
22-01-2011, 4:30pm
home developing is pretty easy, and quite cheap compared to shop prices. I bought about $80 worth of chemicals and have done about 10-15 rolls. I think with that many chems you could get 100 rolls.

geck
22-01-2011, 8:39pm
Cheers for all the replies. It's $35 for developing and printing - I know there are cheaper places around but I don't really want to have to post unprocessed negatives... I have looked at Fotofast, but by the time I add printing it works out more expensive, and the 5-day turnaround isn't generally worth the extra expense to me. Photocontinental is cheaper I think, but again it's the posting of the film there that concerns me a little.

electricmic
24-01-2011, 9:48pm
Do you have the space/ desire for self developing B&W?

Ive never tried it myself but I hear good things by those who do. Plus the economy can't be beat.

Alternatively if you have a decent printer at home you could just get them developed and put onto a disk only. I t may be cheaper

Othrelos
25-01-2011, 12:12pm
The two chromogenic B&W films you have used are all there are unfortunately, they are both able to be developed in C-41 developer because they are dye based. As opposed to classic black and white films which when developed the image is made up of silver instead of dye clouds. It is important to note that chromogenic films can be developed in B&W developer* but the results are extremely unpredictable. But if you are planning on learning to develop your own films I suggest T-max 100 to start with, T-Max is a quite basic film...it eats fixer though but the results obtained from standard developing are quite satisfying, and a wide range of developers can be used on T-max.

*I have only heard of this being done with the Ilford film, the Kodak CN400 in all probability uses dramatically different chemistry so in all likelihood you will get a result...through whether that result is good or not depends entirely on taste.

geck
25-01-2011, 5:11pm
Awesome Othrelos, that's exactly the info I was after.

Electricmic, I've looked into the develop only but to be honest I like having the prints (although the roll of Delta 3200 I got back on the weekend left a bit to be desitred in that respect...)

Thanks all for the great replies.