PDA

View Full Version : RAW

zimmerlieman
12-01-2011, 8:13pm
Hi all, I am looking for the best and easiest method of converting RAW images to jpg so the image is not so large for emailing. I use RAW mode in my EOS550. Cheers.:cool:

Bally
12-01-2011, 8:53pm
Options
1. In camera if size is the main issue.
2. DPP that came with the camera
3. Use DB sizer a free utility that seems to work well, without introducing noise etc, even with massive reductions ( a new discovery someone else mentioned here). Really nice for posting your pics here too

Cheers

ricktas
12-01-2011, 8:55pm
What photo editing software do you have? We cannot help unless we know what you have/use. No use me telling you how to do it in Photoshop CS5 if you use Aperture.

darkbhudda
14-01-2011, 3:41pm
I use Instant JPEG from RAW (http://mtapesdesign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw-utility/). It grabs the jpg that is in the RAW file - the camera uses this for showing the image to you. Very easy to use. After I've copied my RAW files across I select them all, right click, select Instant JPEG from RAW and it will get the lot. Small files too. Though this method might not be suitable depending on how much processing you need to do.

Ackie
19-01-2011, 10:21pm
I have just discovered how to set my camera to shoot in RAW. But when i import them to my PC i have no software that can read/edit the images.
I use Photoshop CS2. I realize it is an older version but I was wondering if I could get a plugin for it.
Oooops... I better mention that I use a Sony A33, the Sony native RAW file is a .ARW file.
I also downloaded GIMP tonight and i can't seem to open the images with that either.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ackie.

arthurking83
20-01-2011, 2:47pm
... But when i import them to my PC i have no software that can read/edit the images. .....

The model of your camera will determine your ability to open view and edit your raw images using the software you curently have available.

Easy way forward, download the latest version of the software from your manufacturer or use the software that came with the camera.

eg. if Canon, you use DPP, if Nikon you use ViewNX, if Pentax, you use Digital camera utility .. etc, etc.

other alternatives also exist, but for simplicity(for now), the manufacturer software would seem to be the most ideal.
For Adobe software their raw converter software is called Adobe Camera Raw(ACR), for a late model camera, you need the latest version. From what i understand of the software, to get the latest version iof ACR working you need the latest versions of their processing software.
(this situation seems to be less than ideal I think!! :confused013 ... and one reason I'm not a big fan of Adobe)