PDA

View Full Version : Ibisworld Forecast for Pro Photography for 2011

kiwi
10-01-2011, 5:51pm
I quote

"Professional photographers in Australia have weathered the twin storms of a declining industry and an economy-wide slowdown, and IBISWorld figures reveal 2011 will not be any better.
“Nearly half of the industry’s revenue is derived from wedding photography and competition is intense with more than 9000 professionals competing for a share of the nuptial pie," Mr Bryant says.
Lower costs have forced prices down and professional photographers are feeling the impact of the growing popularity of digital SLR cameras which make it easier for amateur enthusiasts to take professional quality pictures,” he says.
IBISWorld estimates a decline of 1.2 per cent ($10.25 million) for this sector in 2011."

Not too good eh.

snappysi
10-01-2011, 6:10pm
Unfortunately i would have to say that there is really nothing suprising there.....

Simon.

bb45pz
11-01-2011, 4:26pm
I didn't quite realise that Weddings made up almost 50% of the market. Very interesting but I guess the downturn side of things isn't particularly surprising.

Redgum
11-01-2011, 4:34pm
Be interesting to find out how they defined the industry and what other forms of photography they consider would entertain professionals. Weddings and what else? Big industry though if $10m is only 1%.

Sobriquet
06-02-2011, 8:15pm
Someone told me that with a Royal wedding coming up there will be an increase in weddings or at least their was after Charles and Di??

ricktas
06-02-2011, 8:49pm
The number of weddings in Australia has declined each year since 2002. So you have more photographers shooting weddings, and less weddings for them to shoot. Something has to give in the end.

Maybe the industry needs a concerted effort (with other relevant industries) to promote getting married, and get it back on the agenda for so many. Or maybe some more lobbying for the Government to seriously look at the same-sex marriage issue, there could be an untapped boon there alone.

whatsthatbeeping
07-02-2011, 7:56am
What this decline means is that ultimately photographers will have to diversify into other areas or change their business/marketing strategies. It's the same in any business in periods of down turn.
The stronger business' will survive while the cowboys will wither out. Once the market curve climbs again to peak levels the cowboys return but the surviving business owners from the slump will have a better grasp of how to weather the storm again.

jeffde
08-02-2011, 12:07pm
Every business has its ups and downs - its how you react to the changes in the industry and the changes in the market place that will decide whether you live or die.
Their are people out there that want good quality photos and are prepared to pay for them - finding them is the issue.
I know a wedding photographer who does a slideshow on Laptop and projector at the reception - i've been asked and said no because i'm not there yet, and at this stage wouldn't want the additional pressure (who does)
He is also the most expensive wedding photographer in the area and is basically booked out...

Othrelos
08-02-2011, 2:00pm
"professional photographers are feeling the impact of the growing popularity of digital SLR cameras which make it easier for amateur enthusiasts to take professional quality pictures"

We have been hearing this for years, and it is absolute BS. Can a photographer that just bought a 1000D with a kit lens produce the same results as a trained photographer using a 1DsMkIII professional lenses with studio lighting? of course not. Professionals have the training and discipline needed to get consistent results.

I actually seem to recall an argument from 1930's about the rise of the smaller 35mm format making photography more accessible to the masses and taking business away from the 8X10 photographers of the day. One of my favourite lines was " ..how can you get a decent image from a negative that small?"

I don't do weddings, I don't have the right temperament for that kind of work. And economically things are showing signs of getting better. Recently I sold a whole series of my wildlife photographs at a wildlife gallery...I don't charge some of the obscene prices I have seen others try to get away with, but I don't undervalue my work.

kiwi
08-02-2011, 8:34pm
If it's bs why does the report and many similar I've read from within the full time profession echo it.

Id agree with you though that it's not the newbie with the 1000d it's the weekend warrior with $20000 worth of gear and two years of experience that's the "real" threat is it not ?

Redgum
08-02-2011, 9:14pm
Professionals have little to worry about from newbies or weekend warriors. Although competition affects every business there are more important issues to contend with, like capital, wages, accommodation, advertising and a string of others. Weekend warriors, as they do in most trades or professions, fall by the wayside with their own comfort (fixed wages) and really dislike any sort of paperwork or mundane activities which is generally around 90% of a professionals work.
Every business and every product has a lifecycle. It won't go forever in its current form and usually needs some radical changes to perk things up, and these cost money which very few part-timers are willing (or allowed) to part with. Think of insurance claim/breakdown or new technology.
Cast your mind to the video industry which ten years ago was dominated by part-timers (particularly weddings). Now, most punters discard Uncle Fred and certainly don't have a lot to do with weekenders. Pro's are certainly on the way back but with a long way to go. No doubt digital still photography will take the same course over time. Count on it.

Othrelos
08-02-2011, 9:32pm
"If it's bs why does the report and many similar I've read from within the full time profession echo it"

because that crap about newbies threatening professionals is the same tune that have been harping on about for YEARS, with little evidence to back it up. I have assistants that are students studying at universities or at private photography institutions that are after real world experience so they eventually can start a business all on their own...they are learning skills that weekend warriors and newbie's scarcely know anything about. Having $20,000 of equipment is all well and good, but it doesn't automatically mean that the person is a good photographer. A good eye for photography is something money cannot buy.