PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Film - Any Tips?

darrenmars
09-01-2011, 12:11pm
Not too long ago my lovely fiance bought me a Six20 Kodak Junior "Six20 Kodak A" (http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=213&cam=1506) off eBay and gave it to me as an early birthday present. You should have seen the look on my face when I opened the box and saw a fold-out medium format fixed focal length camera :D Sure it's as old as my Dad, but it still seems to work ok...

I've managed to find out that I can use 120 film in this camera (which is good because I saw another one on eBay and bought it too) and have also been able to respool the film myself. I'm yet to develop a roll to see how I went with my exposures.

Does anyone have any tips on what film I can buy? For a beginner, $25 per roll of 120 film is a bit steep - particularly since I'm getting 8 frames per roll (hopefully 8 gorgeous frames!) so I was hoping someone might have some tips on where I could grab some cheap 120 film, or even cheap-ish respooled 120 to 620? I only have enough 620 spools to have 3 rolls available per shoot so I'd rather get a few re-spooled rolls first if possible; buying spools is also a bit steep at $10 per single spool.

Cheers,
Daz

David Woods
09-01-2011, 1:39pm
Hi

Go on ebay it,s cheaper than a store, unless you want to buy large amounts, then buy from America. Try some Fuji Acros 5 rolls for $40, or colour you can get 5 rolls of Velvia or Provia for $50 plus postage of ebay.
David

fabian628
09-01-2011, 8:35pm
i recently bought some film from a website in america. called freestyle photographic supplies. General b&w film like ilford HP5 was about $4 a roll of 120. Postage is quite large, i think the minimum is $50, and you can get something like $150 worth of film for the $50 postage. I split some film between someone i know to save on costs.

jessyC
10-01-2011, 2:02pm
Did a google search and this aussie store sells Ektacolor for cheapish
http://shop.lofico.com.au/category/film

darrenmars
12-01-2011, 7:56pm
Thanks all for the ideas. I did find a seller on eBay that seems pretty cheap. 5x rolls 120 Fuji Velvia 50 for $45 delivered from USA, 10 Rolls 120 Ilford Pan F 50 $62 delivered. Not sure if many would consider that cheap but certainly saves a lot compared to buying local. I don't think I'm allowed to list the guys store link but I'm sure one can find it by searching for the films listed. He's also got infrared film at what seems reasonable prices which I may have a go at.