PDA

View Full Version : International Travel with all the gear/

hdn177
08-01-2011, 10:14pm
Hi all,

Well its time to upgrade my camera bag from my 7 year old video camera bag! I'm also lucky enough to have a trip in march over to the uk. So I'm now on the hunt for a suitable carry case for the p&s, dslr, x2 lens, filters, batterys, cards, cables & charges.

So I'm after some suggestions on the back packs (i'm leaning to these over the smaller slings) as it can also carry travel documents and a few other bits. I had a look around the local camera shops today but couldn't quite see anything any good.

After reading some of the threads on here and shopping online, i'm leaning towards something along the lines of the Lowepro Versapack 200 AW or the lowepro Rover AW II SLR Camera Bag as it also complies with carry on baggage. Without being able to get my hands on any good gear close to home, I will do a trip into brissy and have a look at teds etc for sure, just hoping for some idea from fellow travelers.

Is there any suggestions or other ways that can give me some versatility in carry other bits other than just camera gear and still be great for traveling?

Thanks.

Brian500au
08-01-2011, 11:42pm
I think in the end it depends on the type of international travel you are doing. I have travelled a bit internationally either as a back packer hiking around, or on business staying in some classy hotels. Each time I travel I consider what i need to take with me, the security of where i am going, and take a camera bag that suits the situation. If i am on holidays and back packing around I take with me a Crumpler back pack that will carry one body, a couple of lens, and a laptop. If I am traveling for business I tend to take a Domke shoulder bag, which will pack a little more into it, and a separate laptop bag as I can leave both safely either at work on in the hotel. After all this time I still dont think I have got it exactly correct but I figure I am not far off this time.

richie4540
09-01-2011, 12:42am
I do a fair a bit of travelling and lately bought a LF camera to go along with my other cameras and went looking for a bag to carry it all in, I ended up going with a bag from Think Tank, an Airport Ultralight V2.5. I chose this over the other brands for a few reasons - 1, it cost about the same, 2. it has some nifty features like a security cable and lock inbuilt, supplied with a rain cover, heaps of pockets, 3. it has a clean harness system that is no too bulky, 4, it doesn't look like the average camera bag ( so it is not screaming out to everyone that it is worth stealing), 5 it is still compact enough to fit in small overhead lockers on 40 seat fockers.
well worth a look.

regards Richie

Xebadir
09-01-2011, 12:47am
I also go the think tank as my travelling bag, with the Airport Antidote V2. Gets easily on to most international flights, holds an incredible amount of gear and will fit on the domestic RJs in the US. Also comes with a really convient laptop case, good harness system, doesn't look a camera bag and has the lock system. Definitely recommend it...its pricey but built to last, you definitely get what you pay for.

Wayne
09-01-2011, 4:05am
Another vote for the TT AP Ultralight V2.5
I also have a Kata 3n130, which is a sling bag and tripod holder that holds a bit of gear and makes it easy to get access when on the move, but it struggles when you stuff it full and try to slide it front/back to get the camera in/out too often. It can be annoying, but no more annoying that having to remove a back pack all the time to put gear in/out.

I need to carry all the gear when leaving home then learn to only take what I will need for the day when travelling rather than leaving the hotel with everything. I recently took the Kata to Japan for 2 weeks and in Japan you do tons of walking on and off crowded trains, and I found it to be a bit bulky and annoying. I'm looking for a shoulder type that I can hang like a sling diagonally across the chest to one side and then just lift a flap to get gear in/out which I feel would be easier.

hdn177
16-01-2011, 12:37pm
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I will go to a few shops and have a hunt around and try them to see which is the best suited, then hunt for a good price. Is buying online what most people do with bags once you know what type I want?

fenderslash
27-01-2011, 7:05am
I went with a Lowepro Flipside 400 backpack for an upcoming trip. One of the things that sold me on it was that it opens up on the side that's against your back, so if you're on a crowded suburban train or something similar then no-one can open up the main compartment and steal a lens without you knowing. When it came to the purchase I'd love to give the local shops the business, but it was $299 in the local shop and $140 from a Hong Kong eBay seller. I can't afford to throw away $160 just to feel good about my local businesses.

rellik666
27-01-2011, 8:11am
I travelled to the UK with my crumpler whiskey and cox, fitted my camera and 3 lenses and all my gubbins plus a small laptop. Just looks like a backpack and is well padded...you can remove the interior with all your stuff in, and then use the back pack on its own...great bag....:th3:

Arg
01-02-2011, 2:36pm
<snip>When it came to the purchase I'd love to give the local shops the business, but it was $299 in the local shop and $140 from a Hong Kong eBay seller. I can't afford to throw away $160 just to feel good about my local businesses.

yes but bags, like clothing, are extremely prone to counterfeits: http://www.maxwell.com.au/lowepro/lowepro_fakes.html

Dylan & Marianne
01-02-2011, 3:07pm
The UK is a pretty safe place on the whole, so having a camera bag that identifies itself as such shouldn't be an issue.
If you're planning travelling other places in the future that aren't so safe (parts of SEA etc) , I'd look more at well compartmentalised generic day packs.

hdn177
06-02-2011, 8:14am
Thanks for all the help.

I have ended up with a Rover AW II. It is definitely a good quality bag and fits everything I need with room to spare! Now to add more gear!

ihrivera
21-03-2011, 11:25pm
Thanks for all the help.

I have ended up with a Rover AW II. It is definitely a good quality bag and fits everything I need with room to spare! Now to add more gear!

Nice bag! I have the same model and I can bring my gear and use the top portion as a day bag :)