PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have or Had a Tamron 28-75 f 2.8 ?

PH005
08-01-2011, 12:56pm
Well I finally think that I might have narrowed down the " walkabout " lens that I want. I want something that I can leave on my 40D most of the time. I have a nifty fifty, a Siggy 10-20, and a Tammy SP 90 macro. So nothing is really a walkabout. Would like to hear from anyone who has any expreience with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF. ( what a mouth full ). Seems to tick all the boxes. Have read some good reviews. Will probably take the plunge this week.

kiwi
08-01-2011, 1:20pm
I had one awhile ago. I thought it a solid lens, a little soft wide open at 2.8 and 70mm, but liveable

Quite slow focus at times

I think he sigma is better

PH005
08-01-2011, 3:31pm
Thanks Kiwi. It is still between the Tammy and Siggy. The Tamron outshone the Canon 28-135 is in all areas in a review I read by Bob Atkins.

keegsmeister
08-01-2011, 6:34pm
I've used it for about 1 year shooting Events and absolutely LOVED IT! Until I got my 5dmk2 I bought a 24-70mm to replace, and i still think that the Tamron was a great lens. So totally worth the money. I even sold it for the same price I bought it!

arthurking83
08-01-2011, 11:49pm
I found it opposite to the 'old' Sigma 24-70.

I see slight softness in my copy too, but it's due to backfocus, and not image softness per se!
Problem is that on my lens, the backfocus is only at 75mm and no other focal length, so focus microadjust is of no use.
It's still sharp along the plane of focus... as long as I remember that I have to micro adjust manually when at 75mm

It is lacking in contrast compared to all the newer, more modern lenses of the same type, and if Tamron want this one to maintain any footing in the market, they should really update it to both micro motor and full time manual over ride, and with some super duper ULD(or whatever they call their special lens coatings) for a bit more contrast.
From f/4 there is a lot more contrast. I have some very nice sharp images(obviously misfocused :p) at f/2.8, but it can be hit and miss. Colours are awesome, and from f/3.5 and onwards I find it works perfectly.
Of course a far more expensive Nikon 'equivalent' would be nice to have as well, but the Tammy works well enough for me for now.

Shooting into a light source is not recommended either.. it flares really badly.

One day, I'll take the time to take it in for a checkup to fix the backfocus issue tho.

Even tho I've highlighted a few of the bad points of this lens.. strangely tho, this lens is my favourite.. great bokeh, basically all of the time, even tho on an APS-C sensor, it just feels a little bit too long when shooting indoors.

I'd always recommend this one... in a heartbeat!

PH005
09-01-2011, 12:01am
Thank you both, keegsmeister and arthurking. Just the sort of 1st hand experience that I was seeking. Looks like another Tammy in the bag. Cheers.