PDA

View Full Version : 50mm 1.8 or 1.4

rbat
06-01-2011, 11:13pm
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering what your thoughts were on these 2 lenses. For the amazing price, I was thinking about the 1.8 but a few people have suggested that the 1.4 would be the better way to go. Any owners care to share their pearls of wisdom?

fabian628
06-01-2011, 11:56pm
Depends how much you want to spend. I had a 50 1.8 once, and recently bought one for my brother. The lens is very small and is not solidly built, but this is not a problem if you are careful with the camera. I would not just throw it loosly into your bag like you can other lenses, as the lens may get damaged.
This was my first wide aperture lens, and i found it worked well, it did everything that I expected from what it is.
The 1.8 is quite cheap also, and I got a grey one new for $112, when the second hand price is about $100.

ashbox
07-01-2011, 12:10am
i personally went for the 1.8 mainly for BFYB, haven't had an issue with it.
Its returned some exceptional shot as has my 18-200mm

Rod038
07-01-2011, 6:50am
I went for the 1.4 because it is better build quality and it also will be able to use my existing 58mm filters. I got it for $383 delivered. Its even cheaper now days.

Old Skool
07-01-2011, 7:50am
I had a 1.8 but for low light action shots the focus is too slow. Get the 1.4 as it has the faster USM focusing and still a relative cheap lens.

LJG
07-01-2011, 8:35am
I have both. I brought the 1.8 because like most, I could not resist the cheap price for the image quality it delivered.

It was only a short love affair. I soon became disenchanted with the pentagonal shaped highlights it gives and hunting in low light.

I bit the bullet last year and upgraded to the 1.4. I can tell you I have not regretted spending the extra money, I love that lens. It is really not that much sharper above say f4 but geez, it is well worth 4 times the cost for all the other benefits if offers. I've since given the 1.8 to my son.

andylo
07-01-2011, 1:07pm
If you are using a full frame that I will go for the 1.4 because of the more visible DoF differences between 1.4 and 1.8 on a full frame sensor. Otherwise just go for the 1.8 but make sure you tested a few copy in a shop before you make your purchase.

I owned both and I really hated the 1.8 because I have obtained myself a soft copy. I then upgraded to the 1.4 then changed to the Sigma 1.4 instead, and never look back. Until I can afford a 1.2L, I will stick with my Sigma.

rbat
08-01-2011, 11:18pm
Thank you so much for the replies. It is definitely something worth thinking about more. I have a 450D. Might have to go and search some photo comparisons. Thanks again.

Rosh
09-01-2011, 7:52am
Hi there. I have the f1.8. It all depends what you want to use the lens for and how much you are going to use it. For the price there is no worries if you only use it once in a while. Great for single portraits. As I only use one lens now I found it a bit long on a crop body and ended up with the Sigma 30mm f1.4. This never leaves my camera body.

soulman
10-01-2011, 1:11pm
I got the 1.4 because I wanted a fast lens - all my other lenses were f4 zooms at the time - and this was by far the cheapest way to get f1.4. Though it's not a huge difference between this and f1.8 in terms of speed, and though the 1.8 is a bargain if you're really tight for dollars, it really is cheap and nasty construction wise and I would much rather have something better built.

The image quality is very good and the speed of it, coupled with a 5D11, means that I can shoot in almost complete darkness if need be. The build quality is just OK to my eye & hand - nothing like an L lens, but that's what you get for ~$400.

vk2gwk
11-01-2011, 5:00pm
Reading all of the above I just ordered a 50mm 1.4 from DWI (with Australian Canon warranty...) for (incl. freight) just under $400. Looking forward to receiving and testing it. I read the reviews on the interent and the pentagonal bokeh spots that LJG mentioned put me off. So decided to spend slightly more. Would have preferred the 1.2L but....for the dollars. :)

HDee
11-01-2011, 8:40pm
I bought the f1.8 because it was insanely cheap and I had read good reviews. I love the pictures is takes but if you have the money and want better performance in terms of speed, go the f1.4 because if I had a couple hundred bucks more I would have, too. Oh, also, I have the Canon 450 EOSD too - I love it :-)

sakvee
12-01-2011, 12:02am
1.4 will be my next purchase, looks like a fast cheap and fun lens.

xkellie
12-01-2011, 2:15pm
i have a 1.4 on my 7D and love it! but then, i'm a huge fan of shooting wide open. if the price difference isn't an issue get the 1.4.

sirbongo
12-01-2011, 10:04pm
was thinking about the 1.8 but might save up for a few more months and get the 1.4, thanks heaps...

ice
13-01-2011, 1:43pm
I went with the 1.8 after the same agonising decision you're going through! I figured it was only 120, i was a little short on money at the time, and i didnt even know if i would use the lens a lot. Now that i know i do use it, when i have the money, i will be upgrading to the 1.4- i dont think its a bad thing going with the 1.8 - its a fantastic little lens, but the 1.4 is only worth the money if you know you're going to use it often. Beautiful picture on the 1.8 :) good luck! let us know what you choose :)

Bercy
13-01-2011, 2:00pm
I have a 50mm F1.4 that I bought some time ago and put on my film camera. It has been sitting there ever since....I think there is a some Konica film in the camera!! It gets back to asking what you commonly do with your camera. More often than not my lens is hunting children's faces at family functions and it is like papparazzi ... maybe "kiddirazzi" - you have to keep your distance to allow them to behave a bit more naturally. So what a waste! Maybe I should try real hard to find the body cap! :D

Xenedis
13-01-2011, 2:33pm
Last September I wrote an article (http://xenedis.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/overview-of-the-plastic-fantastic-canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-ii/) on my blog about the 50/1.8 II. I once owned it and later sold it. I never owned the 50/1.4.

I've reproduced my article here; hopefully this will help you.

Overview of the “Plastic Fantastic” Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, known as the 'Plastic Fantastic' or the 'Nifty Fifty', is a very popular lens, and for good reason: it's fast and cheap.

I used to own one of these, but I later sold it. I have no need or desire for a 50mm lens, as the focal length doesn't appeal.

However, given the enormous popularity of this lens, I think it's worthwhile to point out what's good about it, as well as what's bad.

Anyone considering purchasing one can take these simple facts into consideration.

What's Good?

It's light.
It's small.
It's fast (as in wide aperture).
It's sharp.
It's inexpensive.
On an APS-C camera, it provides classic portrait framing.

What's Bad?

Its barrel and mount is plastic.
It has no distance gauge.
It has no ultrasonic focus motor.
It's slow to focus, and noisy, too.
The focus ring is awkwardly positioned and small.
It has a five-bladed diaphragm, producing unappealing pentagonal bokeh.

What the lens does provide is a lot of bang-for-buck. It's ridiculously inexpensive for what it delivers. Of course, if one wants a fast 50mm lens and can live with the negative aspects I've itemised above, it's worth having. Even if the lens turns out to be unappealing after all, it won't be an expensive learning exercise.

mjp
14-01-2011, 12:43am
I own neither, but have tried both. I borrowed the 1.8F from a friend when the POW had 50mm theme, but never submitted. It worked great, but I found it noisy. It was great using such a small, light lens compared to my everyday 35-70mm 2.8L, you don't feel like you are imposing as much when you take pictures on the street.

I briefly try the 1.4F while in the duty free of a airport. It much quieter. My choice when I'm ready to buy. The Duty free was $500, went online in the airport can could see i could buy it for $400.

Bennymiata
14-01-2011, 12:27pm
If you will mainly use it in manual focus, it's a great bang for your buck.
But, if you rely on autofocus, this is not the lens for you.

I have the 1.8 and find that I can only use it on a tripod and using manual focus.
The auto focus is very slow and in low light, you can often miss a shot entirely because of the time it takes to focus, if it can.

The mount is also a delicate plastic and it's easy to break off a tab or 2 if you aren't gentle with it.

If I were you, I'd save up for the 1.4.
I know I am!

dannat
16-01-2011, 6:14pm
i am thinking about the 50mm macro -any users here -how is the build qual & focus speed cf the 50mm f1.4

rbat
16-01-2011, 9:51pm
Thanks again everyone, I think I might save the extra pennies and get the 1.4.

dannat, I have a 100mm 2.8 macro lens and absolutely love it, the quality of the lens is fabulous.

Jcas
18-01-2011, 12:55pm
i am thinking about the 50mm macro -any users here -how is the build qual & focus speed cf the 50mm f1.4

I have the 50mm macro, i love mine. It is not true 1-1 macro but it is a lovely lens for portraits and general purpose as well.
It was the first macro lens i owned and it taught me a lot, not so suitable for bugs as you have to get really close and they take off,
but for flora or other macro work it is good. Build quality is a lot better than the 50mm 1.8, it has steel lens mount not plastic,
i can't compare it to the 50mm 1.4 as i have never owned that lens, i have the Sigma 30mm 1.4 which i find is more suited to the cropped sensor.

Perfectoarts
14-02-2011, 10:43am
Yes definitely save for the F1.4, you will not be disappointed.
I just love that little beast and one I can always toss in my handbag for that extra lens on outings.

Greeny
14-02-2011, 5:45pm
Hi rbat ... I found this comparison from DigitalRev useful ... http://www.digitalrev.com/en/battle-of-the-fast-50mms-canon-f1-dot-8-vs-f1-dot-4-vs-f1-dot-2-7230-article.html :th3:

Namus
15-02-2011, 12:56pm
I've used both and I'd throw my hat into the f/1.4 camp; more accurate AF and more appealing bokeh imo; my $0.02 :th3:

Bennymiata
17-02-2011, 2:00pm

I have the Canon 60mm F2.8 Macro lens which I bought for product shots, and I'm in love with it!
I have played around with the macro and have taken some amazing shots of insects and flowers etc.
Great as an everyday lens too, and it's sharp and the colours are excellent.

Funny thing with this lens was the price.
As the lens was bought for my business, I can claim back the GST and it was almost line ball in price here from a retailer than bringing it in from OS.
For the few extra dollars, I bought it here.
I've noticed that the prices of some Sigma lenses are getting closer to the grey imports too, and in some cases, it's actually cheaper to buy some of their lenses here than importing them from Hong Kong.

Tatts
17-02-2011, 8:10pm
^ C R Kennedy will generally price match a grey lens with an Australian lens, even come with a 2 year Aussie warranty.

Hi rbat ... I found this comparison from DigitalRev useful ... http://www.digitalrev.com/en/battle-of-the-fast-50mms-canon-f1-dot-8-vs-f1-dot-4-vs-f1-dot-2-7230-article.html :th3:
Lol, he has a Nikon strap on his 5d.

wheaty78
18-02-2011, 3:46pm
I have the 50 mm 1.8, and Ive had it for about 18 months. I use it alot for portraits on a crop body, and I find it tack sharp. It isnt the most sturdy unit, but as long as its looked after you shouldnt have any problems.. I dont think you can beat it for the price.

acko
18-02-2011, 7:36pm
Yeah, I have borrowed a 1.4 and it produced some very good results.
If I was buying, I would spend the extra dollars and get the 1.4

SirNobicus
18-02-2011, 11:33pm
I have both, and the 1.8 never comes out anymore. The 1.4 is amazing (exceptionally hard to shoot @ 1.4) when stopped down to about 1.8 I get a really good hit rate. I just found the 1.8 to not only be a little soft (and i'm kinda on the blind side so I need AF) and the AF is a bit average.

If you can afford the 1.4 do it, you wont regret

in2fx
19-02-2011, 10:35pm
Lol, he has a Nikon strap on his 5d.

Kai nearly always puts a Nikon strap on the Canon bodies when he is testing gear :lol: