PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Good filters for wide angle lens Please :)

PerfectPicture
06-01-2011, 10:48pm
Hi All,

Can anybody please provide some good recommended Filters for the Canon 10-22mm Lens. Looking at getting it for Landscape photography to begin with.

is the Cokin Landscape filter set any good? a few net posts says its got a magenta cast on them?

Also some good cheap places to buy from in Melbourne, or even ob the net.

Thanks alot.

Robert

fabian628
06-01-2011, 11:20pm
if you look for a circular polariser, you may want to consider a 'slim' CPL filter, as the regular ones cause vignette in the corners at 10mm. I had a regular hoya cpl on mine and it did that, it wasnt a really big deal, just something to consider. As for other UV filters etc. the regular ones were fine.
Not sure if there is a big advantage to UV filters for landscape, but for a circular polariser, sometimes the sky can be unevenly darkened at 10mm, and i found best results when there were some clouds in the sky.
Other than that, advice would be get a good quality filter, as some flare cant be corrected easily in photoshop! :rolleyes:

PerfectPicture
06-01-2011, 11:38pm
thank you for your response Fabian. l have a hoya pro 1d CPL filter for 77mm, so will try that soon.
But really looking for the square ND grad filters and one of the wide angle filter holders for a 77mm filter thread.
just not sure which brand is best and which soft grad ND to get? Not sure which best landscape kit filter set to get.
and which Soft ND Grad to get, e.g. 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, etc.

Also any great recommended places to buy in Melb or from a good reputable site overseas.

Thanks alot, any help is greatfully appreciated.

bricat
07-01-2011, 6:51am
I have purchased from Dgiitalrevue which is a site sponsor. Had good results and no problems .

Scotty72
07-01-2011, 11:38am
I have the Cokin z pro box.

It only starts to 'crop' at <12 mm. (on a crop sensor)

Colour casting is only a potential prob with multiple filters stacked.

Scotty

PerfectPicture
07-01-2011, 10:00pm
I have purchased from Dgiitalrevue which is a site sponsor. Had good results and no problems .

thanks for reply Bricat. had a look a the digitalRev site you recommended and they dont seem to sell many filters, only a few screw-in ones.
did you buy a slot-in filter set from them?

PerfectPicture
07-01-2011, 10:05pm
I have the Cokin z pro box.

Colour casting is only a potential prob with multiple filters stacked.

Scotty

thanks scotty for the reply.
How do you find the Cokin set? is there a magenta colour cast on them, as a few threads have suggested?
also what do you mean it crops at <12mm? Do you mean you can see the filter holder or something?
How much was the Cokin Z pro box and where did you pick it up from please?

Also which ND Gard filters would you suggest for landscape photography shots, thanks.

Was looking at the cokin, then somebody recommended the Hi-tech 100 x150mm slotin filters, so not sure if this is better or on par.

Also how do you know which filter to use for the shot?

Thanks
Robert

Scotty72
07-01-2011, 10:17pm
Yes, any wider than 12mm (on a 7D crop) then the housing gets in the shot (their are ways to get around this , but I've never bothered).

It is fine, I've never noticed a colour cast in my shots. I've only ever stacked 2 filters - maybe if you have 3 or 4?

Can't remember how much but I got it from digital camera warehouse in Canterbury, Sydney. They have an outlet in Melbourne too.

It really depends, but get the kit which includes a set of 3 ND grads (2,4,8). You'll need them for landscapes.

As for how to decide which one to use for scene X: their are sites that have guides with complex formulas etc. but, I just experimented, made some bad guesses and learnt from experience - it's not that hard once you get into it.

Scotty

peterb666
08-01-2011, 10:24am

You can disassemble the Z-Pro holder and remove one of the slots to give no vignetting and 2 slots, or you can reverse it without disassembly to give 1 slot.

Scotty72
08-01-2011, 10:28am
You can disassemble the Z-Pro holder and remove one of the slots to give no vignetting and 2 slots, or you can reverse it without disassembly to give 1 slot.

Yeah! I remember you or Macroneski telling me that at Narrabeen last winter; I just haven't been moved to do so - just zooming in 2mm is far less bother :D

PerfectPicture
20-01-2011, 11:12pm
thanks guys for the responses.
have to sort out my UWA Lens first, then hopefully get a chance to look into more depth which filters and Filter holder & Adaptor works best.

Thanks guys :)

Xenedis
20-01-2011, 11:35pm
=As for other UV filters etc. the regular ones were fine. Not sure if there is a big advantage to UV filters for landscape,

UV filters aren't necessary at all; they're a waste of money.

But really looking for the square ND grad filters and one of the wide angle filter holders for a 77mm filter thread. just not sure which brand is best and which soft grad ND to get? Not sure which best landscape kit filter set to get. and which Soft ND Grad to get, e.g. 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, etc.

I personally use Lee filters, and they're of a size Cokin calls Z-PRO; ie, the grads are 4 x 6" in size.

Lee filters are rather expensive, however.

Don't bother with 0.3 (one-stop) grads; in the harsh light we have here, they're pretty useless.

I'd recommend 0.6 and 0.9, and I often need to stack both when shooting to the east in the mornings.

A Cokin Z-PRO kit would be a good way to get started. Yes, these are known to suffer from magenta colour casts, but I've seen it with my Lees too, but only in certain circumstances which I unfortunately cannot identify. There are several theories about what causes the magenta colour cast. It seems the jury's out.

If budget is not an issue, I recommend the Lee filters. They are quite pricey, though.

PerfectPicture
20-01-2011, 11:52pm
Thanks for the reply Xenedis :)

l heard the Lee filters are top shelf filters. just pricey, unfortunately. Also was looking at the Hitech 100x150mm Filters as well. is that the same size a 6'' x 4''?
Also where abouts did you pick up your set please?
Was also thinking maybe the 0.6 GND 100x150mm, 0.9 GND and the 1.2 GND. just not sure if in hard or soft or a mix of the two. If so, which one Hard and which one soft would you recommend?
Also l heard you can use the top half of a GND (like the 100x150mm Filter) as a ND filter?

Cheers

Xenedis
20-01-2011, 11:57pm
l heard the Lee filters are top shelf filters. just pricey, unfortunately.

Aye; that tends to be the way of the world with good gear.

Also was looking at the Hitech 100x150mm Filters as well. is that the same size a 6'' x 4''?

Precisely.

Also where abouts did you pick up your set please?

I bought my gear from Studio Kit Direct in the UK: www.studiokitdirect.com.

Even with the craptacular exchange rate at the time, the price came to $200 less than what Vanbar was asking locally!

Was also thinking maybe the 0.6 GND 100x150mm, 0.9 GND and the 1.2 GND. just not sure if in hard or soft or a mix of the two. If so, which one Hard and which one soft would you recommend?

The general rule is that soft grads are best for uneven landscapes (ie, most of them), and hard grads are best for horizons -- especially ocean horizons.

Having said that, I have only soft grads. I initially bought the Lee filter holder, 82mm adapter, 0.6 GND and 0.9 GND.

I later bought two 0.9 NDs and the Lee filter wallet.

Also l heard you can use the top half of a GND (like the 100x150mm Filter) as a ND filter?

I haven't tried, but it's possibly not large enough; I'd recommend getting a dedicated ND8 filter; these are 4 x 4".

arthurking83
21-01-2011, 12:57am

Don't bother with 0.3 (one-stop) grads; in the harsh light we have here, they're pretty useless.

I used to have the same philosophy as xenedis here, but have recently changed(my mind, and the lack of one in my filter pack)

Can be useful in some instances, but I think, as I read xenedis's reply, he may be referring to it's usefulness on it's own, which as he says is pretty much useless!
The amount of light it helps to balance is easily recoverable when shooting in raw mode, so to place a filter to get a perfect balance when you don't need it seems to be a bit a waste.
They can be handy in stacking to get say 4 stops of balance(if required) when used with a 3stop filter.. and so on.... as combinations, but you will not really use it much in that sense.

ie. it'll be your least used filter, so if you can get another of some kind that will offer more functionality(eg, a ND of high value for longer exposures), that would be more ideal.

But! in having said all that, I did recently summoned the courage to get myself a ND2(1 stop) grad.

Note that Lee(0.x) and Cokin(NDx) use different terminology for the same effect. ND2=0.3, ND4=0.6, ND8=0.9.. etc.