PDA

View Full Version : 30D Err 05

dood
29-12-2010, 2:02pm
I was using my 30D over the weekend with a speedlite attached and all was well. However, when I took off the flashgun and tried to use the pop-up flash, it would click 3 times trying unsuccessfully to get the flash to pop up and then the err 05 message would come up. The only way to continue using the camera was to switch off and on again.

I tried several times to get the flash to pop up without any luck. I even removed the battery and replaced it.

Looking at the flash there's nothing obstructing it and I can't see any grit in the groove.

Trying to get this resolved by canon will probably cost more than the camera is worth. Does anyone have any tips on what I could do to fix it?

Clubmanmc
29-12-2010, 2:19pm
error 5 is the flash is inoperative... yeah welll duuuuuurh i know you know that

its all in the release of the flash, if you have a external flash gun you wont have the problem, and if you shoot outside the green square, it wont try to lift the flash so you will be able to shoot with out it trying to open the flash

other than that i dont think its too big a cost to have it fixed, hardest thing is to find a canon place as they are drying up !

M

SteveK
29-12-2010, 6:15pm
Hi Dood,
While I don't and have never have a canon 30D.
I was reading sometime ago on another forum about a similar problem.
There is a small switch in one of the hot shoe rails that turns on to tell the camera that an external flash is connected. If this switch fails or is held down the camera thinks there's an external flash attached and I guess hence the error 5. (MAYBE)
With this other person it turned out to be a small piece of tissue that was holding down the thin metal arm in the rail, that pushes on the switch. After he cleaned it out no more problems. easy fix.

Hope that this will help.

Steve

William
29-12-2010, 6:26pm
:umm: I have a 30D , And guess what the same thing happened to me last week, I had been using an external Flash as well , I shoot manual so there is no big problem, I went to use the built in flash and got the error as well , It would'nt Pop up !! Had a play and got my finger nail under the pop up , Moved it a bit and up it Popped , No trouble since , But It's not good to see the error , Have a fiddle with it without forcing anything , May help :)

dood
30-12-2010, 2:12pm
Thanks for the responses. Will give it a try after work, hopefully will resolve the issue. Do need the pop up to work as I don't always lug the speedlite along.