PDA

View Full Version : layer masks not working properly

tmd77
26-12-2010, 9:30pm
Ok so i've been working with layer masks for the last few days, yet for some reason today they wont work like they have been. I'm wondering whether i've accidentally hit/clicked something i shouldn't have.

For eg. I used to be able to copy the background, add a layer mask.
I've been using filters occasionally and when i use a layer, i can't use any of the filters. When i select it, it comes up with a blank grey or White screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance to any replies

Dan Gamble
27-12-2010, 1:53am
Hard to answer your question without more info.

What image mode are you working in? RGB, CMYK, LAB etc and at 8bit 16bit etc?

Is this Adobe Photoshop (it sounds like it) and if so which version?

What is the image you're working on?

What are the specs of the machine you're using?... Operating system?

It could be a memory issue related to that image only for some crazy reason.

More info would enable us to give you a more accurate hypothesis as to the problem you may be experiencing.

Would love to help if I can. ;)

tmd77
27-12-2010, 9:30am
Thanks Dan,

Operating in RGB, 16 bit, Photoshop cs5, been trying to work on both .cs2 and .tif files, computer is an apple MacBook (latest version - not sure of specs sorry, all I know is that it has 250gb harddrive and I've still got 150gb available).

Filters work when using on a background copy, just not when layer masks are applied.

What I've been doing/trying to do is apply a layer mask, use a filter, invert, and then "paint" it onto the areas of the photo I want the mask on.

Dan Gamble
28-12-2010, 11:45am
I'm not a Mac Daddy unfortunately but I am aware that even in CS5 that some features and functions do not always allow you to apply them in 16bit RGB mode.

Have you tried it in this order though?:

Use a filter... apply a mask to the filter... invert mask... paint in/out your desired areas.

Filters can have their own masks the same as layers can. If you're trying to remove some effects of the filter then it's best to mask it out on the filter itself... Alternatively set the filter to be a clipping mask on the layer below it and it will only effect the active pixels of that layer it's clipping.

Hope this is useful and sorry for the delayed response.... Xmas madness! :christmasparty:

tmd77
28-12-2010, 2:52pm
ohhh dear i've just realised my problem.:eek:

i need to go copy background>use filter>change layer from normal to overlay>invert mask>paint in/out desired areas

i was missing out the "change layer from normal to overlay"

thanks so much for your help dan! much appreciated!