PDA

View Full Version : Canon 24-70mm f2.8L or 17-55 f2.8 IS

sonofcoco
26-12-2010, 2:56am
Hello folks,

Just me asking for some advice again! Am currently considering the 24-70 f2.8L but, as is usually the way, have been distracted by talk of another lens - this time the 17-55mm f2.8 IS.

Have noticed a lot of people recommend this on a crop sensor (I have a 40D). I have the 10-22mm and thought this'd be a nice fit with the other lenses I have (have the 70-200mm f4 too). Am not too concerned with fitting in every focal length, but thought having a bit more on the longer end could be handy in certain situations.

Am looking for something I can take to markets, festivals, events and the like and get some decent shots.

So, I'd be interested in what people's opinions were on here re: using one with a crop sensor. It's possible I could get either at a decent price compared to Oz before leaving Korea.

Bromeo
26-12-2010, 12:57pm
There's not really any point asking this question as it's been asked a thousand times before. I'd suggest reading some older threads because this particular face-off comes up every few weeks in a lot of different places.

My 2cents is get the 24-105mm. Can be had for under a grand, has IS and is smaller than the 24-70. The 17-55 is nice but it feels shitty in your hand.

Roosta
26-12-2010, 1:15pm
Just to add my 2c I went for the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC HSM, Got it price matched in OZ from the CR Kennedy price matching for $399.00 brand new with full Aussie Sigma Warranty and service. Its a DC lens, so it designed for the APS-c sensor, perfect fit for your lenght fill. Have a look here - http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/standard-zoom-lenses . It has HSM (High Speed Motor) same as USM (Canons terms for Ultra Sonic Motor) (CR Kennedy.com.au type in price match in search box, they are backing their Aussie re-sellers to match Grey Market imports, so get a Grey price from say DWI and take it to your quality local camera store, they'll match it)

Have fun. P.S. I compaired the above lenses you've mentioned and for the price the IQ of the Sigma is just as good as the 17-55 mm Canon, at 1/4 the price. Between that and my 70-200mm L they cover all aspects nicely. The 24-70mm you must x 1.6 to get accurate focal length for crop sensor 38-112mm approx.

xkellie
26-12-2010, 3:56pm
i asked the same question a few months back and ended up getting the 17-55mm f2.8 IS for my 7D. i'm very happy with it. there's some great info in the thread if you want to check it out - http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?69091-24-70mm-f-2.8L-or-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS&highlight=xkellie

sonofcoco
26-12-2010, 11:45pm
It's funny, I typed this thread title in and nothing similar came up, so I started this one. Will read up on the other thread though.

Was particularly interested in people's thoughts on which lens people would suggest if someone already has the 10-22mm, and whether they'd recommend differently in that scenario. I've read quite a few threads about these two lenses on various forums, but they seem to be mainly addressing which lens to get if you're choosing something to be your widest lens. Thus, most of the answers seem to be "17-55mm f2.8 on a crop, as it's wider and a great lens".

I thought people who may have used the 24-70mm on a crop camera without being concerned about it being their widest lens might have a different viewpoint.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: Actually, I posted in that thread too asking the same question...but you get more answers with a new thread :D

sufran
27-12-2010, 7:48am
I tossed up between the two as well. I got the 24-70 becuse it came up first on the second-hand market at a good price. It was a lucky choice (in retrospect). A key issue is, "what do you shoot?" I mainly use the lens for indoor activities so the lack of IS is not an issue. (If I reduce the shutter speed too far, I get motion blur). The venue is generally a hall or the like and I find that most photos are taken at 40-70 (with 60-70 being the most common), so again the 24-70 works well for me. I love the IQ as well and it is my walk-around lens. Yesterday, I was taking family shots indoors in a house. This was the first time I had ever wished to go wider. (For scenery, I have two wide angle lenses).

rwg717
29-12-2010, 9:52pm
Only the one piece of glass to recommend and that's the 24-70 in zoom lenses, only one that beats it if you can find one is the old 28-70:flame:
Richard

sonofcoco
30-12-2010, 12:52am
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Has given me a lot to think about, especially as my last month in here in Korea will undoubtedly rush by at light speed and I'll have to decide whether to pull the trigger on one of these lenses here or not.

Do the L lenses have an international warranty (i.e: if I have problems with one that I bought in Korea while I'm in Oz then I can have it fixed under warranty)? Would make the decision a lot easier.

Thomp
30-12-2010, 7:45am
From what I hear canon L lenses do have international warranty ( might even apply for all canon lenses). I can have a look at what the warranty card when I get home to confirm.

broomage
30-12-2010, 10:26am
I'm in the same boat (for the 40D) at the moment and have narrowed it down to the 17-55 or 24-105. Tried them both in the shop yesterday and the 17-55 was very impressive. Feels good construction compared to the L's, the images were excellent (especially inside and wide open), and the extra wide angle and 2.8 are helpful for the shots I'm after. The guy gave me a really good explanation of the IS in the lens and how it is newer (and better) that the 105 system, hence the price. The only downside I see is dust proofing and inability to use if I go full frame. I can deal with the latter by thinking that I'd keep the 40D with the 17-55 as a backup kit. I'm therefore thinking of plumping for 17-55. Still sweating though as to whether it's the right decision!!

edenconnell
30-12-2010, 11:46am
I have the 24-70mm and use it with my 7D it stays on my camera about 80% of the time...

And yes I do like the 24-105mm as well but I like the f/2.8 that the 24-70mm offers

Bennymiata
30-12-2010, 12:09pm
Personally, I think it would be difficult to get much better IQ than the 24-105, and the longer reach is very handy sometimes.
Sure there is a 1 stop difference, but the versatility of the 24-105 won me over, and I'm very happy with it and I'm still blown away by how good the images are on my 60D.

I think the price of the 24-105 is not bad either, as it is such a popular lens, they can keep the price down.

sonofcoco
30-12-2010, 12:29pm
Thank you, that would be great. If they do it will make the decision on where to get one a lot easier. I'll be back in Oz for a while, so don't want an issue with a lens I'd then have to send to Korea...:o

Clubmanmc
30-12-2010, 1:57pm
Just to add my 2c I went for the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC HSM, Got it price matched in OZ from the CR Kennedy price matching for $399.00 brand new with full Aussie Sigma Warranty and service. Its a DC lens, so it designed for the APS-c sensor, perfect fit for your lenght fill. Have a look here - http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/standard-zoom-lenses . It has HSM (High Speed Motor) same as USM (Canons terms for Ultra Sonic Motor) (CR Kennedy.com.au type in price match in search box, they are backing their Aussie re-sellers to match Grey Market imports, so get a Grey price from say DWI and take it to your quality local camera store, they'll match it)

Have fun. P.S. I compaired the above lenses you've mentioned and for the price the IQ of the Sigma is just as good as the 17-55 mm Canon, at 1/4 the price. Between that and my 70-200mm L they cover all aspects nicely. The 24-70mm you must x 1.6 to get accurate focal length for crop sensor 38-112mm approx.

do you work for CR Kennedy??

this is the 4th post of yours i have found with a CR Kennedy matched.......

any how... for my money i would buy the 24-70 F2.8L it is a very very nice piece of glass, and the extra length would be useful, the 55-70mm gap would annoy you no end, believe me, as i had a 28-70 and a 100-400, and that 30mm was a cow!

M

ollie
30-12-2010, 3:06pm
If it helps i have a 28-75mm f2.8 tamron which i recently took hiking. In retrospect i wish i had brought the 17-55 or similar as it would have made a better walk around lens.

Thomp
30-12-2010, 8:19pm
Well I just had a look and I don't believe I've been supply with a warranty card or anything like that..just a users guide. Which is rather odd seeing the the Canon Aus site states that you need to present the warranty card along with the receipt. Hmm.

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Support-Services/Warranty/Warranty-Terms

Have a look at point 3 and 4. I'm finding it somewhat vague, but seems like it is covered by international warranty.

sonofcoco
01-01-2011, 12:41pm
Well I just had a look and I don't believe I've been supply with a warranty card or anything like that..just a users guide. Which is rather odd seeing the the Canon Aus site states that you need to present the warranty card along with the receipt. Hmm.

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Support-Services/Warranty/Warranty-Terms

Have a look at point 3 and 4. I'm finding it somewhat vague, but seems like it is covered by international warranty.

Thank you for finding that link!

I had a quick read through, and it does seem a bit vague. Will read it again later and see if it makes a bit more sense. I do remember reading something somewhere in the last few days where someone mentioned they didn't receive the warranty card in the box either, but Canon were honouring the warranty with a purchase receipt. They said they'd even bought their lens online from Hong Kong and it was still honoured.

Will have to check it out a bit more, but if that's the case then it's a no-brainer really.

pod3009
11-01-2011, 8:31pm
Just to add to your agoinies - I did things just a little differently. I have the 40D and went for a EF 24-105 f4L lens -great walk around lens and very useful - but to compensate for only being f4 I bought the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non VC which is meant to be sharper than the VC model) as a faster lens and am very happy with it. The two lenses cost about the same as the Canon 24-70mm f2.8L which my wife bought for her 50D.

Gunna
12-01-2011, 1:13am
I have had this lens on my 40D for the past 2 years as my 'standard lens'.
It does it all! I use the wide end a lot, & am glad I have it. Its not cheap, but good value.

sirbongo
12-01-2011, 10:27pm
agree with pod3009, the 24-105 is an awesome lens, i dont do much low light stuff so i'm very happy with this lens

Arg
15-01-2011, 6:49pm
I suggest the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS, it is a great standard zoom with top notch image quality, fast f2.8, and IS. No other lens can match it. I love mine.

If, or when, you eventually and maybe one day do go to full frame, sell the 17-55 used for a good price (and rue the fact that nothing in FF can replace it!).

Remember, the 24-70 won't have any wide angle in its zoom range on your crop sensor camera. If that's your goal, OK, but if you want a wide-to-tele zoom the best options are the 15-85 (overall) or the 17-55 (if f2,8 constant aperture is useful to you).

The 24-70 is not a good focal range on a crop sensor (38-112mm equiv) if you are looking for a bit of wide and a bit of tele in the one lens. This is a 1kg lens with no IS and no natural role on a crop sensor.

I have the 17-55. I also have the 10-22 and it is reserved for extra wide jobs. Which is its best role. It doesn't stand up to the 17-55 for wide angle jobs in terms of IQ (and I mean an *obvious* difference, the difference between damn fine and just superb) and the IS and f2.8 just make it a superb all-purpose lens.

I would be a bit miffed if I had the 24-70 or 24-105 and had to change to the 10-22 for *all* wide angle work.

When I do a wedding I just take the 17-55. Equivalent to 28-90mm. So flexible and just shockingly good. Portraits - covered. Group shots - covered. Indoor group shots - covered (if you need wider you are going to have distorted faces near the edges). Natural lighting indoors with IS - covered. It is *sooo* empowering to simply not think about it.

jdreamer
15-01-2011, 7:38pm
If I have a 10-20mm and 70-200mm, the next lens that I seriously want will be the 24-70L. I'll go for that anyway, just because it's L and I'm covered from wide-angle, walkaround and tele. :)

dannat
16-01-2011, 6:10pm
have you made a choice yet? i am int to hear what you went for.. i would like to know from the tam & sig users -do there lenses exhibit any CA?

sonofcoco
19-01-2011, 12:35am
have you made a choice yet? i am int to hear what you went for.. i would like to know from the tam & sig users -do there lenses exhibit any CA?

I have yeah, I went for the 24-70mm. It was a bit of an impulse decision, as I was in the shop selling my 17-85mm and one thing lead to another. It's a beautiful looking lens, and it was a difficult decision between it and the 17-55mm f2.8. In the end, none of the shops had copies of either they'd let me try out, so I went with the original plan. The first shop I went to had the 17-55mm for about $900 second-hand, but someone had just bought it before I walked in.

Am looking forward to giving it a good workout, as soon as the temperatures rise above 0 (or I get home to Australia in 2 weeks) I'll be able to have a good go with it.

It is quite big and heavy, as others have mentioned. But I like how it feels on the camera.