PDA

View Full Version : EOS 5D Mark II

sugarcourt
23-12-2010, 12:49pm
Im looking at getting a new camera. Maybe a EOS 5D Mark II.
What do you think?

ricktas
23-12-2010, 12:54pm
Honestly?

Looking at your photo threads on AP, I think you should work on your photographic skills more first

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?71606-A-few-zoo-photos
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?71762-Yellow-Rose

Buying a new camera will NOT make you a better photographer. Start work on improving your photography skills and then when you have those down pat, then consider an upgrade

William
23-12-2010, 1:02pm
Not much help , But I'd say good choice , It's on my wish list , I just need a body , As I already have a couple of EF lenses , I say go for it :th3: PS: But Rick is right, Get your Photographic skills up a bit on what your using now, A new camera is not going to improve the shots you take , It's the driver that counts

DAdeGroot
23-12-2010, 1:10pm
My first question is why ?

People buy new kit all the time in the search for something that will improve their photography, but this is not the reason to upgrade. My view (and you can take this with a pinch of salt, or a bucket full if you like), is that you should only upgrade when you are hitting the wall with your current camera. i.e. you are using it to the maximum of its capabilities and the upgrade will allow you to do something that your current camera just isn't capable of doing.

Generally, work with your existing kit until you have mastered it. Analyse what style of photography you are most frequently doing and you may find, if you do feel the need to spend money, that a new lens might provide greater capabilities than a new body.

The 5DII is an excellent camera, but it's also a lot more camera than most people need.

Roosta
23-12-2010, 2:26pm
With Rick/Dave on this, Why do you need the 5D? and what do you hope to get from it that your current body can't achieve. More features could lead to more confusion rather than better shots. :D

What's your current set up? What are you trying to get with it? What is it it's lacking for you? The more specific you are here, the more people are likely to help you. If its say Portraites you shoot, there are some togs here that have spent years doing it and ironing out their mistakes, most will gladly help you, same same for landscapes, and so on. Let us know. :)

5D 11 is a sh@t hot camera by the way. :santa:

mrDooba
23-12-2010, 2:59pm
If you want the sweet sweet camera(and can afford it) don't let anyone talk you out of it:)

But........ The boys have shared some wise words in regards to skill level. The camera will only improve the IQ of the image. It won't make the photograph itself any better. Practice, practice, practice. Take photos!!!!

I had a 400D and bought a 5DMKII half thinking it would make my photos better. It didn't:( But I didn't regret buying it either:D Some might disagree:rolleyes: but I've come along way from my entry into photography. Could I have stuck with my 400D for longer?....... Of course. I didn't even make use of the exceptional high ISO capabilities of the 5DII for probably close to year.

What do I think? If you can afford it.... get it. One thing to consider is that to make use of a 5DII you will need to spend more money of good glass. There is no point getting it if you don't have the best glass. You simply won't be using the camera to it's fullest. EF lenses only and preferably L.

Papou
23-12-2010, 5:09pm
I'm with mrDooba, if you can afford it get it!!, and as he said if you do, do get good glass for it otherwise wait till you can. I purchased it and still have two other DSLR's and dont for one minute regret the purchase and you WILL see the difference as well as it will give you the incentive to further your skills. You will have to put some reading time as well as practic etime to work your way around some of its features but in the end its all worth the effort:)..
One feature i would have liked in this camera which isnt there is only a three image bracketing, would have liked to see 5.
I'm still learning this new toy and enjoying every minute of it. have the $$?? go buy it .
One thing i will aslo add is not to be in a rush tobuy from the first store you walk into.. Deal & wheel and you may get it close enough to a grey market price with the benefits of Australian Local warrenty.
What i mean by this is that i hassled with every outlet i could and showed quotes of other store prices till i got the camera to a price which justified leaving my$$ in the country and if i end up unfortunate enough to have a problem with the camera , well then i take it to the retail outlet i purchased it from and say please & thank you very much:)..
At days end i as well as the retailer came aaway happy or at least i think so lol.
If you dont haggle they wont go out of their way to do you a :santa: favour.
Cheers
PS hope your nexp post sez "guess what i just bought:)??..

Allann
23-12-2010, 5:30pm
Wise words here already. Can I add another view-point? The 5D2 has been around for a while now, and if your only upgrading because you can, when I think wait till it's replacement comes out, I don't think it will be more than a year away. But thats only a guess. But if you really need a new camera NOW, and you have lenses that fit the 5D2, doesn't like EF-S lenses, then yes go for it, it's a great tool.

arthurking83
23-12-2010, 6:22pm
Not yet asked, and I ask only due to curiosity value, but that link Rick posted to the yellow rose image indicates that you have a Pentax K10D.

This would also imply that you have Pentax lenses to play with.
Pentax lenses don't fit Canon lenses without adapters.

Ask the correct questions before expecting the correct answers.

Why do you want the new camera? is it for any specific purpose?
Do you want more reach, or shallower DOF in certain image types you choose to capture. Do you want lower noise or greater dynamic range form a particular scene?

etc, etc.

5DmkII is certainly a great camera, of that there is no doubt, but then again so is the Pentax K5 as well.
Problem with the 5D route is that the lenses you may want to begin producing good images will probably cost you at least 2 x as much as the camera body itself does.

What current gear do you have? Your profile only lists the K10D, but no lenses. It also says you are a uni student.. $4-5K or so for at least two high quality lenses to go with your 5D is probably a good starting point. $4-5K is probably a lot of money for a uni student tho! :confused:

Xenedis
23-12-2010, 7:25pm
I tend to agree with Dave's and Rick's comments.

As a 5D/5D II owner since 2006, I can tell you it's a great camera and won't leave you wanting unless you require a very fast frame rate and very accurate AF.

However, a new camera or lens is not the key to great images, and unless gear is your limiting factor, an upgrade will result in little more than a very nice camera, a much lighter wallet and images much like you're shooting how.

Definitely work on technique and improving your photography before worrying about major equipment upgrades.

fabian628
24-12-2010, 12:46am
I think the 5D2 is a good camera. What camera are you using now? What lenses do you have?

If i personally were starting from scratch, i would go used 50D, 17-55 f/2.8 and maybe a 85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2. The 50D is also a very good all round camera and selling quite cheap for what it is.The lenses I mentioned are good quality but not too expensive. A high quality body with low quality lenses is pointless :th3:

phild
25-12-2010, 12:29pm
I have to agree with the others, If you already have a DSLR, work on your technique first.

If you have a need for the facilities offered by the 5DII or just like owning one of the best cameras produced then why not, sometimes a big part of the enjoyment in any hobby is knowing you have good equipment.

For me buying the best I can possibly afford in any purchase is a must; I can't recall ever saying I wished I'd bought a cheaper item.

ozbodz
25-12-2010, 9:51pm
The 5D Mark II is a great camera. And yes, a replacement for it will probably come out in 2011. However, don't forget, the Mark II can be bought for a great price at the moment. The next version of the 5D (whatever it is) will come out at full retail price and won't drop to a reasonable street price for quite some time afterwards.

For example, here in Australia, the 5D Mark II can be had for less than $3,000 (or even $2,600 if you buy a "grey import"). When it first came out, it retailed for over $4,000 and didn't drop down in price significantly for many months.

Unless you need many of the "possible" features that the new 5D *might* include (better auto focus points, for example), you might want to think about this.

Just something to keep in mind. Cheers.

pritcharded
27-12-2010, 12:12pm
Im looking at getting a new camera. Maybe a EOS 5D Mark II.
What do you think?

The 5D Mk2 is a very capable camera. Paired with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens, at reasonable cost (~$470) it will deliver true pro-quality images. For low light photography very, very few setups will do a better job.

The 5D Mk2 is a very easy camera to use. Forget about automation- just learn how to set the camera manually. It's simple to do. And the ISO capabilities of this camera allow a lot headroom. Make a quality tripod an early priority and learn the importance of depth of field. Learn how to get the best out of your 50mm f/1.4 before you think about additional lenses - L lenses are expensive.

If buying very high quality gear aligns with your priorities, there's no reason at all why a 5D Mk2 wouldn't give you a great deal of photographic pleasure.

Ted

Damo 5D
27-12-2010, 7:57pm
A second hand 5D mkI can be bought for about $800 these days, that's lots of bang for your buck, although I'd happily upgrade to a mkII if I could justify it.

tr0j
27-12-2010, 8:28pm
Hi, joined just to see the pics that ricktas links to, that are apparently evidence of the need for skill-development. Any chance of hearing some of the constructive criticisms on how they could have been improved?
TIA

Kym
27-12-2010, 9:09pm
Hi, joined just to see the pics that ricktas links to, that are apparently evidence of the need for skill-development. Any chance of hearing some of the constructive criticisms on how they could have been improved?
TIA

We are all learning.
If people want 'nice foto' go to Flickr. In this case feedback was given in each thread.
In the examples the basics of composition and exposure need work.
That's +ve feedback, which when taken on board helps us learn.

We back it up with a stack of resources for the how-to side of things.
I.e. have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?104-New-To-Photography) forum and the Learning Plan (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?24290-Learning-Centre-Learning-Plan-***Start-here***).

tr0j
27-12-2010, 9:27pm
thanks Kym. now realise my newbie hour had to pass by so I could access the thread. the feedback was useful, especially about ISO.

I don't really understand your comment about flickr, but thanks for responding! :)

Kym
27-12-2010, 9:33pm
All ok! We encourage good Constructive Critique (CC) on AP. Not perfect, but much better than a whole lot of 'nice photo' which is what tends to happen a lot on Flickr.
If you can handle the feedback you will learn, we are very strict about personal attack, so its safe to give and received CC.

Photography has a lot of elements that must all work together to make a great image.
It can be daunting so we try and break it down into simple steps in the NTP forum.
We have members who started a year or two ago knowing nothing who now win competitions (or at least make the final).

cookie99
30-12-2010, 6:13pm
It's on my wish list , I just need a body , As I already have a couple of EF lenses

I use 4 5D MKIIs (Underwater 1, Movies 2, Stills 1) and a word of warning, it will not accept anything but the finest glass you can throw at it as do all Full Frame cameras.

If you wish to entertain a heap of dissapointment buy the MK II and put mediocre lenses on it, this is a professional camera and consequently it insists on being treated as such.

Dan Cripps
30-12-2010, 6:49pm
It's a great camera and you won't be disappointed.

Allann
30-12-2010, 6:54pm
Lots of good advice, maybe it's time to hear from sugarcourt (the OP) and see if any of this helped!

rowdy23
30-12-2010, 7:15pm
maybe the op just wants a full frame ???

i agree with previous comments though.. esp cookie99.

woodsiefromtant
02-01-2011, 12:40pm
I've been thinking of making the plunge for some time now, but having a look at my nephews copy, I think it's feeling a little bit outdated compared to latest releases (this is not a critisism of its considerable capabilities) I will definitely be waiting for the next iteration, I'm hoping for at least a flip out screen as a minimum improvement. I took some great fly on the wall mood shots at a new years party the other night with my 500D/50mm 1.8 that are spoilt by noise, or avoiding that by reducing ISO,blur. Does anybody know when it might be coming? Guy in the camera shop last year thought later this year.

sugarcourt
02-01-2011, 6:41pm
Thank you for all the feedback. I havent had a chance to respond sooner with the hecticness of xmas and new year. I hope everyone had a good one.

As I have previously said the photos that are linked are older photos - I have previously had a break from photography due to a bad car accident. I havent got my heart set on anything yet. im not in any hurry and dont want to rush into it.

I dont expect the camera to magically improve my photos. The best photographer can use any camera and get a good photo. The camera doesnt make the photographer the person does.

I am currently working a day a week for a photography company. I am now able to get out more and practice my photography. I am looking at starting from scratch with my photography since having such a long break from it. Getting to know my camera better, techniques and going through the new to photography set by set.

acko
02-01-2011, 10:06pm
Thank you for all the feedback. I havent had a chance to respond sooner with the hecticness of xmas and new year. I hope everyone had a good one.

As I have previously said the photos that are linked are older photos - I have previously had a break from photography due to a bad car accident. I havent got my heart set on anything yet. im not in any hurry and dont want to rush into it.

I dont expect the camera to magically improve my photos. The best photographer can use any camera and get a good photo. The camera doesnt make the photographer the person does.

I am currently working a day a week for a photography company. I am now able to get out more and practice my photography. I am looking at starting from scratch with my photography since having such a long break from it. Getting to know my camera better, techniques and going through the new to photography set by set.

Good for you! Like a lot of things in life, there is no substitute for practice.
Hang in there, and the rewards will come.

Allann
03-01-2011, 8:35am
If you are in no hurry I can only recommend you wait for the next one to be released. Even if you don't get the latest and greatest camera, the current version will drop even further in price. And remember, getting the mk2 will mean you are up for pro lenses too, so will be costly, but oh so worth it. I have not looked back.

tr0j
03-01-2011, 4:50pm
... I will definitely be waiting for the next iteration ... Does anybody know when it might be coming? Guy in the camera shop last year thought later this year.
This site http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-5d-mark-iii/ seems to be close to the pulse. Predictions are 2nd half of 2011.

brandphoto
03-01-2011, 8:40pm
Not sure if it has been touched on yet as there are a few replies I skimmed, but upgrading due to hitting the wall with your current kit is one reason. So is replacing old/broken kit.
Why replace a 50d with another 50d if you are close to the step up? Why make two purchases in a couple of months if you can group the replacement and upgrade into one?
I think the 5d is on a lot of wishlists but agreeing with a lot of others it may well be more camera than most need, at least for the time being.

IMHO

Brandz

woodsiefromtant
03-01-2011, 11:24pm
Tanks trOj, good link

pollen
06-01-2011, 1:10am
The 5D Mark II is the best camera I have ever used (and I have a 1D2N and 1D3 as well!)

I would fault it in only 3 areas
- Major: ISO 100-400 is beseiged by shadow banding/pattern noise. This is the noisiest ISO 100 camera I have ever used.
- Major: Autofocus performance is serviceable but leaves a lot to be desired.
- Minor: Squeeky battery grip

Other than these issues, it is an excellent camera

I would get the 5D2 and start learning using this camera, as it will make a drastic improvement to your photos. Remember, better gear = better photos (once you learn how to use it properly!)

Allann
06-01-2011, 7:30am
I would fault it in only 3 areas - Major: ISO 100-400 is beseiged by shadow banding/pattern noise. This is the noisiest ISO 100 camera I have ever used.

Um, could you post some examples of this? I have a 5D2 and think noise wise it's one of canon's best performers especially in the 100-400 range. I am happy to take it to 6400 if needed as well. When it gets dark the 1D3 is put down and the 5D2 takes over.

pollen
06-01-2011, 10:46am
Agree with you with respect to it being better than the 1D Mark III in low light (particularly detail retention), but I and many other users of the camera often run into problems like this at ISO 100:

This is actually not a 100% crop as I can't post larger images here, but it actually is worse than it looks below (since the below image is downsized)

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v13/p973573034-4.jpg

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v10/p1038469306-4.jpg

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v3/p722058869.jpg

In my mind this is completely unacceptable at ISO 100 and worse than what a $500 Canon 1000D does, but the camera is otherwise great

Kym
06-01-2011, 11:11am
Given you have a Pentax K10D and I'm guessing some lenses a much lower cost upgrade that will give you great results is the new Pentax K-5.
The K-5 price is already dropping (normal after a few months).
It has one of the best sensors ever produced.

Changing camera systems is VERY expensive. For the price of the changeover you can get a K-5 and maybe a couple of brilliant 'limited' prime lenses.

wideangle
06-01-2011, 11:44am
Agree with you with respect to it being better than the 1D Mark III in low light (particularly detail retention), but I and many other users of the camera often run into problems like this at ISO 100:

This is actually not a 100% crop as I can't post larger images here, but it actually is worse than it looks below (since the below image is downsized)

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v13/p973573034-4.jpg

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v10/p1038469306-4.jpg

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v3/p722058869.jpg

In my mind this is completely unacceptable at ISO 100 and worse than what a $500 Canon 1000D does, but the camera is otherwise great

What noise? I don't see anything wrong with these images?

Cris
06-01-2011, 12:13pm
Hi Pollen
You might like to try changing your colour space to adobe rgb, instead of srgb. You might just find that helps.

Cheers

Cris

pollen
06-01-2011, 4:47pm
Thanks for the suggestion Cris, sounds interesting I'll investigate

Hi wideangle, have you calibrated your monitor? I find I can't see a thing on my work laptop which is so devoid of contrast it is almost a monotone screen, but it is very obvious on the back of the camera, as well as on my calibrated monitor at home, and also on my friend's hardware calibrated Eizo

It'll be inappropriate for me to link to other forums however there are multipage discussions about this issue all over the web which confirms the issue exists and is a problem for many people

Allann
07-01-2011, 12:16am
@pollen, thanks for the examples and info, did a bit of research on the problem and though it exists, I have not had much of an issue with it. I normally expose to the highlights and try to keep the shadows as bright as possible, reducing the exposure in the shadows in processing therefore reducing the apparent issue. Did a couple of tests and it mainly seems to occur at -3 stops. it was interesting to see the comparisons between the high end Nikons and the 5D2, Nikon definitely have a much nicer image result. Would love to try them side by side in a real comparison, Kiwi, you up for a small experiment?

However, even after the research today, there is no way I'd give it away, it produces some exceptional results and as long as you shoot to it's strengths, and honestly, I don't see low light shooting being a weakness.

bricat
07-01-2011, 6:46am
Getting back to OP Go for it. I bought a 7d way way above my capablilities but I am slowly learning where to turn it on. If you buy it now the equivalent in 2-3 years maybe more in dollar terms. Buying top end gear you won't lose as much should you decide to sell at a later date. cheers Brian

wideangle
07-01-2011, 11:07am
Thanks for the suggestion Cris, sounds interesting I'll investigate

Hi wideangle, have you calibrated your monitor? I find I can't see a thing on my work laptop which is so devoid of contrast it is almost a monotone screen, but it is very obvious on the back of the camera, as well as on my calibrated monitor at home, and also on my friend's hardware calibrated Eizo

It'll be inappropriate for me to link to other forums however there are multipage discussions about this issue all over the web which confirms the issue exists and is a problem for many people

Yes, my screen is calibrated, if what you mean are a kind of "graininess" in your example, then I think it's so small in this example not to be an issue. Have you tried doing prints from these examples and see how they come out?

JM Tran
07-01-2011, 1:14pm
Yes, my screen is calibrated, if what you mean are a kind of "graininess" in your example, then I think it's so small in this example not to be an issue. Have you tried doing prints from these examples and see how they come out?

that sort of graininess doesnt exist when I print out to my usual size for clients, which is 45x30 inch - quite a large size. That 'graininess' shown above seems to come from tiny crops which are more than 100% or so - other cameras might seem smoother - but it also means they dont retain details like the 5D2 can or did above.

this is just pixel-peeping to me, printing results will always be better than on screen.

dood
07-01-2011, 4:27pm
This site http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-5d-mark-iii/ seems to be close to the pulse. Predictions are 2nd half of 2011.

My 2c worth: the 5D was out for 4 years before the Mark II came out. The Mark II has been out for only 2 years.

pollen
08-01-2011, 12:41am
that sort of graininess doesnt exist when I print out to my usual size for clients, which is 45x30 inch - quite a large size. That 'graininess' shown above seems to come from tiny crops which are more than 100% or so - other cameras might seem smoother - but it also means they dont retain details like the 5D2 can or did above.

this is just pixel-peeping to me, printing results will always be better than on screen.

Actually as stated they are less than 100%, as the 100% crop is >1024 pixels wide and I had to use a 800px downsized version to display on this forum.

As stated, the actual 100% crops are even worse, whereas these are more like 75% crops

Most of my clientele are modern consumers and want digital images nowadays. They appear on digital images.

I don't think I've ever printed an image other than to give to my grandma because she doesn't have a computer.

My point is different people have different needs. Whilst this may not be an issue for you it definitely is for me.

Clubmanmc
08-01-2011, 1:05am
my suggestion would be to come out one night and try them

I have a 7D and a 5D II i am sure a few people here would be able to help you with 60D and others, i have a swag of lenses, and would be happy to let you have a little go...

I am in Adleaide doing the brighton jetty classic in Feb, and am there for a few days, would be happy to help out...

as an all rounder, (unless you specifically want to go to full frame) then a 7D is a really good compromise, and has a great focusing system... (about on par with my 1dII) but the 5D III may inherit this system!

M

OutCast
08-01-2011, 4:02pm
I'd make sure you put nice glass on it ... bodies fade - glass (well treated) stays with you for a long time.

sniper1969
09-01-2011, 4:15pm
I've just taken the plunge today and purchased a new 5D MkII.
Can't wait tfor the battery to charge, so I can get out there and try it out!

petercee
10-01-2011, 10:19am
Here's a thought:
much of this thread is devoted to skill level and your pics being critiqued on this forum and others... but you asked if buying the 5D MkII would be a good move. I say go for it and ignore the two issues in the previous sentence. It's Canon's most affordable camera with the least limitations. And expressing yourself carries no onus to impress others, least of all forum critics. ;)
Disclaimer: if your raison d'etre is to gain the approval of forum members, flickr, etc, ignore my entire reply.

kiwi
10-01-2011, 10:31am
@pollen, thanks for the examples and info, did a bit of research on the problem and though it exists, I have not had much of an issue with it. I normally expose to the highlights and try to keep the shadows as bright as possible, reducing the exposure in the shadows in processing therefore reducing the apparent issue. Did a couple of tests and it mainly seems to occur at -3 stops. it was interesting to see the comparisons between the high end Nikons and the 5D2, Nikon definitely have a much nicer image result. Would love to try them side by side in a real comparison, Kiwi, you up for a small experiment?

However, even after the research today, there is no way I'd give it away, it produces some exceptional results and as long as you shoot to it's strengths, and honestly, I don't see low light shooting being a weakness.

Sure, as long as everyone keeps their clothes on and I dont have to touch that filthy Canon of yours :)

Xenedis
10-01-2011, 10:40am
much of this thread is devoted to skill level and your pics being critiqued on this forum and others...

That's fair enough, IMO.

I don't know how capable is the OP, but when someone is asking about a camera such as the 5D Mark II, which is not an entry-level camera in terms of intended use or price, it's fair enough to try to ascertain the skill level of the potential user.

you asked if buying the 5D MkII would be a good move. I say go for it and ignore the two issues in the previous sentence.

It is to be remembered that buying a camera of this calibre is not going to turn someone's photos into masterpieces, any more than buying a $120,000 sports car is going to turn a new driver into Michael Schumacher.

Note that this is a general comment, and is not in reference to the OP.

IMO, it is foolish and potentially expensive to ignore one's capability when considering equipment. Again, buying a very good camera doesn't mean a thing when it comes to ability.

It's Canon's most affordable camera with the least limitations.

The term 'most affordable' isn't one I would associate with this camera.

JM Tran
10-01-2011, 2:42pm
The term 'most affordable' isn't one I would associate with this camera.

hahaha it definitely isnt the most affordable, and it also has a lot of limitations too:)

Xenedis
10-01-2011, 2:52pm
hahaha it definitely isnt the most affordable, and it also has a lot of limitations too:)

If you want a fast frame rate or increased AF points and AF accuracy, the 1-series is the go.

I shoot 'scapes, portraits and still-life mostly, so it's an ideal camera for those applications. I haven't otherwise found the 5D Mark II to be limiting.

JM Tran
10-01-2011, 8:11pm
If you want a fast frame rate or increased AF points and AF accuracy, the 1-series is the go.

I shoot 'scapes, portraits and still-life mostly, so it's an ideal camera for those applications. I haven't otherwise found the 5D Mark II to be limiting.

I do everything you do already and more with it in terms of genres mainly for work and some fun. The DR is not as great as its closest rival the D700 which I also use, and also for noise control too. Its more than just about the AF speed and FPS, which never bothered me as much as the aforementioned.

Camerashy
13-01-2011, 10:15pm
Just to add for those still thinking about FF that I bought a 5D Mk2 kit with 24-105 lens this week in Sydney for $3,350 with 1yr Canon Australia warranty (ie not grey), so it seems that for those with the desire and the dollars there has never been a better time to go FF.

sniper1969
13-01-2011, 11:44pm
Just to add for those still thinking about FF that I bought a 5D Mk2 kit with 24-105 lens this week in Sydney for $3,350 with 1yr Canon Australia warranty (ie not grey), so it seems that for those with the desire and the dollars there has never been a better time to go FF.

Sounds like there are some good deals out there at the moment.
I got mine (body only) with genuine Canon battery and genuine 3yr extended warranty for $2740.
Loving the new kit!

Smithyworld
14-01-2011, 11:49am
Great Camera, go for it.