PDA

View Full Version : CTR301P compatible with Sigma EF-530 DG ST for Canon?

Pjay
22-12-2010, 10:02pm
Wanting to make a first effort at off camera flash, I bought a CTR301P, which won't trigger my EF 500 DG ST in any mode. Just noticed on the Gadget Infinity webpage the following warning "Some dedicated flashes (e.g. Nissin Di-622 and Di-466, Sunpak PZ42x and PZ30, Sigma EF-530/500 DG ST for Canon, etc.) are triggered via system-specific pins instead of the central contact of the hot shoe. Cactus V4 does not work with these flash models." It goes on to say that the Catus unit is okay with the EF 500 DG ST for Nikon only

So, does, the same apply for the CTR301P? There is no such warning on the PROtog website, but this seems to be the most likely explanation for my lack of success. Has anyone successfully used the combination that I'm trying?

thanks in advance

Pjay
23-12-2010, 7:23am
It's lovely to join a forum so that I can talk to myself...
For the benefit of anyone else with a Canon DSLR and a Sigma EF 500 DG ST, the Yongnuo Wireless Flash Sync Trigger CTR301P is apparently NOT compatible.
Nor probs with PROtog, return authorised for refund, thanks to Jeff :cool:

MarkChap
23-12-2010, 8:01am
Pjay, sometimes threads can take a while to get a response.

Can't say with the CTR301P, but it looks like you know the answer now anyway.
The Yongnuo RF-602's are compatible the 500 DG ST, the problem being that Sigma flash doesn't use the regular centre pin to fire.
I have both and they happily play together

PROtog
23-12-2010, 2:01pm
You are welcome. We have removed the EF-500 from our compatibility list (http://protog.com.au/yongnuo-wireless-flash-sync-trigger-ctr301p-p-193.html), lesson learnt!

We have a customer with several 530 Supers which are working fine with the CTR301Ps in C1 mode, so it seems it is just the DG ST's which are incompatible.

MarkChap
23-12-2010, 2:19pm
You are welcome. We have removed the EF-500 from our compatibility list (http://protog.com.au/yongnuo-wireless-flash-sync-trigger-ctr301p-p-193.html), lesson learnt!

We have a customer with several 530 Supers which are working fine with the CTR301Ps in C1 mode, so it seems it is just the DG ST's which are incompatible.

Yeah from what I have read around the place the DG St's don't fire from the centre pin, from what I can find none of the cheaper ebay type triggers will fire them either.

As I said I have both EF-500 DG ST and RF-602's that work ok together, mine is for Canon so can't really comment on the Nikon

Pjay
23-12-2010, 8:35pm
Ah well, part of a steep learning curve, and a good excuse to buy a new flash unit - a Canon 580EX II looks like a good investment.
Thanks for your comments MarkChap. My comment about talking to myself was meant to be irony, as I was answering my own question :o