PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS (Canon mount)

jrgdesign
18-12-2010, 11:45pm
Hello all,
Has anyone had any experience with this lens? There is not many reviews about it on the net I found so far, but price wise is so much significant with the Canon L 70-200 2.8 II IS. Would the extra $1k worth to go with the Canon rather than Sigma? Thanks you.

Cheers

Scotty72
19-12-2010, 10:20am
I have one (about 12-15 months old) - not stabilized. That I will one day get around to selling.

I have a Canon 70-200 2.8 II USM also, aquired about Sept 2010.

The image quality of the Canon is a bit better (is it worth the x2 price, prob not). (unless IQ is critical - ie you're a pro)

The AF of the Sigma is pretty well equal.

For me, the push to get the Canon was that I wanted the stabilisation (as I do a bit of indoor / poor light) and I was gifted a Canon extender (1.4x) that needs a Canon lens :)

So, if money is no object and you want to aqueeze every bit of IQ, get the Canon: if you're happy with a minimal compromise, less of a cool factor and slightly less solid feel and save $$$$, there is little wrong with the siggy.

My 2c.

Scotty

MarkChap
19-12-2010, 10:23am
Just recently acquired one of these, love it
AF seems snappy enough, IS is very good, and build quality feels like you would expect, I had the ability to put bot this and the Canon on camera a fire a few frames here and there, I personally couldn't justify the huge premium for the Canon lens

jrgdesign
20-12-2010, 9:16pm
@Scotty72: thanks for the 2c mate, really appreciate the advise to help me considering my choices between the two...and less cool factor does not really bother me much, the less attention it got the better :th3:

@MarkChap: thanks to you too, do you have some sample images captured by this lens?