PDA

View Full Version : Flash Gun - SB900

Jacs14
10-12-2010, 4:03pm
I'm looking at buying a SB900 in the new year ... this will be my first flash gun, and GregH had given me the advice that if I could pay the extra, it was worth going for the SB900 over the SB600. But then I was advised to read this following article

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb900.htm

so basically I would like just general feedback from anyone with what they also think!

I'm still starting out on this crazy photography journey, at the moment I have a D80, but would also like to upgrade at sometime. My main interests in photography for the flash gun at the moment is sport, with my family all riding motorbikes and doing enduros with some motoX. Portrait isn't really something I have looked at yet, but I am starting to get an interest in Candids.

Look forward to hearing what you all think, plus watch this space for more threads from someone who gets easily confused; as the theory is - with my daughter deferring her uni degree, and son now finished school and starting his apprenticeship, and supposedly supporting themselves, I am hoping to cross a couple more things off my wish list, but we all know what theory did :rolleyes:

Wayne
10-12-2010, 4:40pm
The SB-900 is more powerful and superior to the SB-600. I have 6 x SB-900 and they throw some serious light. They are larger than any other Speedlite, but have an excellent UI which was painful on the SB-800. They can be used as commander where the SB-600 can't, so in multiple light setups using the Nikon CLS, they are king. Not sure if the SB-600 has sync port? It could be an issue if you get into radio triggered multi light setups later on.

With the USD/AUD you can get brand new SB-900 for about US$450, and they have come down in price on the used market quite a bit in the past 6 months, selling often for between US$375-400 mint and not much more here in Australia.

If you want to borrow a couple for a play, I will gladly loan them to you with a deposit = to replacement cost and postage both ways with full refund of deposit upon return of lights in same condition as when received.

If you can't afford an SB-900, I would look at the new SB-700, the successor to the SB-600.

ricktas
10-12-2010, 4:48pm
Without giving you my opinion of Ken

you like gadgets, you'll love the SB-900. If you just want to take a picture, it's the last thing I'd get. Why, it is a top of the line Nikon Speedlight and it works, it flashes, and lets you take photos. Go figure!

Unlike any other Nikon flash, it has menus and firmware you can update, in case Nikon decides to add even more features you don't need WOW humans are hopeless with menu's and we can't use them?

The SB-900's ready light is too big and too bright. Cause that is the most important feature, and he was me thinking it was how it performed as a FLASH

Sorry but there is nothing in his review that even demonstrates that he actually took any photos with one. Where are the sample shots etc.

I am sure others will be more blunt on Mr Rockwell!:D But suffice to say, he isn't bookmarked in my browser.

dmdigital
10-12-2010, 5:31pm
I have SB800's and a SU800. If I needed a new flash I wouldn't hesitate SB-900 is a great flash unit.

Try this review: http://www.bythom.com/sb900review.htm

Xebadir
10-12-2010, 5:37pm
Definitely agree with the review from Thom Hogan, he knows his onions.

Spent fair of bit of time playing with this flash and agree with the above, its a great unit, not too difficult to use and powerful if you need it with alot of control flexibility...wouldn't expect any less from a top of the line Nikon. If your looking for something a bit smaller but still with similar tech and slightly reduced abilities the SB700 is definitely worth a look as its a bit more compact but still pretty flexible. Its also a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, which might also be a factor. Definitely shop around for either as there are good prices out there.

Jacs14
10-12-2010, 8:04pm
thank you for comments ... looks likely I'll be comparing SB700 to SB900 but may stick to my original choice of the 900. The feedback is much appreciated

DAdeGroot
10-12-2010, 8:10pm
As you know, I shoot Canon, but if I were a Nikon shooter, I'd go the SB900 (or at the very least, an SB800 if you can find them). Why ? More power, better range, better recycle times and although you won't use all it's features straight away, when you're ready for them, they're there.

GregoryH
10-12-2010, 8:11pm
When I bought my SB600 the salesman asked why I would ever want to 'light a football field' so why buy the SB800. After serveral years of using by SB600 I've found I can also lower the light output but there were many times when the additional power would have been usefull. The Nikon lighting system is amazing, and the SB900 enhances it by also acting as a commander.

With the release of the SB700, I'd certainly look at the power output and the features of new model, but with the way the Aus dollor is performing, the price of the SB900 is very tempting.

You can certainly try my SB600 next time we meet up and see what the smaller flash is like.

Happy hunting,

Greg

maccaroneski
10-12-2010, 8:14pm
Get one of each! Once you get one, it's a slippery slope...

I have both a 600 and a 900, and they serve their respective purposes nicely. The 900 when I'm being "serious", the 600 when I need something compact. They work nicely together as key and fill.

Jacs14
10-12-2010, 8:21pm
As you know, I shoot Canon, but if I were a Nikon shooter, I'd go the SB900 (or at the very least, an SB800 if you can find them). Why ? More power, better range, better recycle times and although you won't use all it's features straight away, when you're ready for them, they're there.

Thanks David, general feel is go the SB900,

When I bought my SB600 the salesman asked why I would ever want to 'light a football field' so why buy the SB800. After serveral years of using by SB600 I've found I can also lower the light output but there were many times when the additional power would have been usefull. The Nikon lighting system is amazing, and the SB900 enhances it by also acting as a commander.

With the release of the SB700, I'd certainly look at the power output and the features of new model, but with the way the Aus dollor is performing, the price of the SB900 is very tempting.

You can certainly try my SB600 next time we meet up and see what the smaller flash is like.

Happy hunting,

Greg

Thanks Greg, looks like I'll stick to the SB900, umm! I'm actually hoping end of January to tick a couple of things off my 'wish list' so we may need to get together with a bottle of wine and a good discussion :lol: :beer_mug:

hehehe I've already realised I will never empty my wish list :Doh:

DAdeGroot
11-12-2010, 12:01am

I cut down - I only have 4 flashes now, but am eyeing off some bigger strobes... ;-)

SerenityGate
06-01-2011, 12:37am
One good thing about the SB900 is that it will zoom to 200mm, ideal for the general use 18-200 vr zoom.
I also have the SB600 and only use it now for the D80, depending on what lens is on the D300s