PDA

View Full Version : Is this the card or the camera?

johndom
09-12-2010, 10:30pm
Shot from a shoot Wednesday, fortunately not in a shot I would use.
There is a line right across the centre of the image. I reloaded it and its there on the card.
camera: d700
card Ridata Pro2 80x 4gb.

Anybody seen this before?
http://www.johndomeney.com/AUSphot/DSC0699.jpg

kiwi
09-12-2010, 10:34pm
Never heard of a ridata card, so, I'll choose card, is the line on all images ?

Boo53
09-12-2010, 10:47pm
Must admit it not a brand I know either, but first step would be to use, borrow if necessary, another card and see what happens

arthurking83
09-12-2010, 11:32pm
I doubt it'd be the card, even if only on one image.

Cameras can do weird things at times tho.

I have no name brand cards too, for years.. and realistically have ever used only no name brand cards(current card is an A-Data, and have brand names even more obscure).

From memory Ridata were famous for their cheaply priced DVD disc way back when they were the ants knees :p and so forth. They are a 'memory company' and it woudlnt' surprise me at all, if they were the company actually making the lower priced end of the Saddisk product range.
You reckon Sandisk actually manufacture all of their own cards, and not outsource the production of the low priced stuff to cheaper Chinese companies??

If it is the card, then a format of the card is all that should be needed to restore some sanity to it.

I've had the odd corrupted image too, and just brush it off, but my image corruptions have been transferring within the PC, from hdd to other hdd's on the PC(external/internal).

Format card(properly full format and do scan disc checks and stuff like that, and then format it again when back in the camera(which it does automagically anyhow when it's fresh from a PC).

Analog6
10-12-2010, 5:02am
A Ridata was the first card I bought and still going strong, never had a problem. I'd say it is more likely to be sensor related, but it is weird it is just the one image.

ricktas
10-12-2010, 7:54am
Ridata cards have a great rep, have been around for years and I also have some, that are still going strong. Post the photo see we can see exactly what you are talking about

johndom
10-12-2010, 9:58pm
Thanks Guys,
I have loads of other cards, no others of that brand however.
First time I have seen it this issue. I took about 8gb across 2 cards that day (raw of course) this was the only occurrence.
Can you see the image now? I think I posted it too big again. Nothing like working in 30 degrees for 10 hrs to make you think clearly!
I always clear cards and format them in camera after backup, no exception with this one.
You could clone it out if need be. Just a pain in the art. i will shift the card to the back of the box and see if it happens again.