PDA

View Full Version : SB900. Feedback on size wanted.

brownie
09-12-2010, 6:38pm
I am in a dilemma over which speedlight to purchase for my camera. I’m umming and arrring over the SB600 vs. the SB900. The SB900 is my preferred choice as it gives me the potential to grow into it but I’m hesitant due to the physical size of it. I get enough ohhs and arhs when I whip out my D90 with 18-200.

Could anyone who has the SB900 please provide some feedback on this model in respect of any issues you have with its size and allay my fears if unfounded.

Cheers.

ricktas
09-12-2010, 6:43pm
The SB900 is far superior to the SB600. I have both. I rarely use my SB600 now, and then it is as an off-camera one using the Nikon CLS. The SB900 is BIG, no doubt about it, but it is one damn good speedlight, and the menu on the SB900 is much easier to work out and a lot more intuitive than that on the SB600. I needed my manual beside me for ages when using the SB600 in a CLS setting. The SB900 is much less complex to grasp, the menu system is much easier, but it is a much more powerful unit, with a lot going for it.

Do not be worried about what people say, if you concern yourself with others comments when you whip out your camera, then you need to learn to ignore them..hehe

If you can afford it, get the SB900, no doubt about it!

I @ M
09-12-2010, 6:44pm
What is the old saying?

It isn't about the size but how you use it

Forget the looks, buy the product that does the job, if you need the features that the SB-900 offers then just buy it and use it.
If all you want is a competent flash that will probably do 75% of what the 900 can do simply buy the 600.
Why not wait and see what the reviews say about the 700? It seems to strike a balance ( on specs ) between the two.

N*A*M
10-12-2010, 3:55pm
the sb900 gave me sore wrists after prolong usage at events, and was a bastard to pack in my camera bag
it was too long/tall when straight, and too bulky when folded
i loved the power, controls, and flexibility, but i sold it in the end

i'm waiting for the sb700, which i hope will be closer to sb600 in size and weight
in the mean time, i've made do with the sb600 which has been quite a workhorse

Jacs14
10-12-2010, 4:19pm
hmmm!! I have just basically posted the same question in a thread, :o that will teach me to read all other threads before posting my own question, although who knows, the two threads may benefit us both!
Good luck with your choice :D

Wayne
10-12-2010, 5:35pm
I replied in Jacs thread, so I will post some pics I just took for you to show it's relative size. Camera in pic is D700 with MB-D10.

wolffman
10-12-2010, 6:03pm
It is quite big but I agree with Rick that the usability of it is the kicker for me. I went to a nikon flash presentation in Adelaide at one of the better camera shops and the nikon rep and one of the shop dudes walked through whole slave flash system. Lots of people had their 800s and 600s there and while they were demonstrating the slave master deal on the 900 someone stuck up their hand and asked how to do it on the other flashes. The rep took one of the flashes and spent a good minute pushing the buttons and explaining it, and half the room went "aaahhhhh". flick a switch on the 900 couldn't be simpler.
It also depends on whether you want to keep the flash in it's owncase. The case is really long as it's got another little zip compartment below for the diffuser which comes with the flash and a really good gel holder deal. The back of the case also has a litle pocket for the wallet of gels and a little stand.
When I pack a smaller camera bag I use the belt strap and it goes onto the outside of my camera bag. If I carry my larger backpack it goes in the top compartment.
I know the sb700 doesn't have a pc socket which isn't really a big deal.

brownie
11-12-2010, 4:05am
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I think I will take the plunge with the SB900. The benefits of this unit over the others in the range outweigh my reservations.

Another plus is that taking photos and getting an upper body workout at the same time may also improve my physique.

Wayne
11-12-2010, 7:57am
It's definitely a workout carrying the D3 with this beast on top, but only after you add the AA batteries lol..

ricktas
11-12-2010, 7:59am
It's definitely a workout carrying the D3 with this beast on top, but only after you add the AA batteries lol..

It is, but it also produces some very good results, with creative use of the flash head (bouncing off walls etc).