PDA

View Full Version : Benefit for a flash unit

mocha2204
09-12-2010, 9:36am
Hi All,

So I went to Michael's yesterday and was just wondering how much it will cost to buy a flash for my D90 and the benefit of using one.

The guy told me that the main reason people get a flash is so that the camera battery will not be drained fast when using the in built flash.
and when I asked about the quality of the picture being different from using the in built flash (being more harsh) and a flash unit (more natural looking), he told me that all flash will be harsh.

Is this true? and can anyone explain to me other benefits of using a flash unit? and is SB-600 or SB-900 the way to go?

Thank you in advance :D

Lani
09-12-2010, 9:46am
The benefit of an external flash is that you can bounce it, or use it off camera, which allows you to control how harsh the light is. The Nikon creative lighting system CLS allows you to use your on camera flash to trigger your speed light. You can also get diffusers for speed lights to soften the light output.

Also, I prefer the SB 900 for ease of use, although it is a fair bit bigger.

arthurking83
09-12-2010, 9:53am
Not sure on the merit of battery life advice, but it will be true that your camera will use less battery if the external speedlight is used instead.
But that would be so far down the list of advantages, that it's not even worth worrying about.

major advantages are:

much better light quality(and power)
configurability, where you can position the flash head in many ways to improve the light distribution for nicer quality images.
probably the greatest advantage of having either of the SB 600, 700, 800 or 900 series is the ability to use the flash remotely!! :th3: You set the camera and flash up so that the cameras onboard flash acts as the master controller, and the external flash as the slave this allows you to place the external flash in so many positions and away from the camera and opens up a whole new world of flash photography.

If you can afford them, I'd go(in order of preference) SB900-SB700-SB800-SB600.
They each have their unique advantages, but the two latest models(700 and 900) have much better user interfaces where it's easier and quicker to set the flash up in the various modes available.

I have an SB800, and while it's a great flash and I love it(for it's ability) the controls are a real PITA.. for example, to go from remote slave to camera mounted.

if you're new to photography, then I think the SB700 may be the model to get to start with. if you think you may take advantage of the extra ability of the SB900, such as greater power output and longer focal length range(SB700 does up to 120mm, SB900 does up to 200mm focal length spread), then get it once(the SB900) and be done with it.

kiwi
09-12-2010, 10:56am
dont forget the little sb-400, a much undervalued small, portable, and cheap speedlight, and is bounceable

mocha2204
09-12-2010, 12:50pm
Hi Lani, Arthur and Kiwi,

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it.

when you mean use it off the camera, does it mean that I can put the flash unit anywhere and activate it when I pressed the shutter button from my camera?
and how will the camera and flash unit communicate to each other? I assume there will be no wire?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, just cant imagine how it works.

and i just have my colleague explained to be about the bounce

SB-900 is currently around AUD 400ish at citiwideonline but colleague told me that you might want to buy a flash unit from a retailer for the warranty as its fragile.

What do you guys think? and how much will it be to repair a flash unit if something goes wrong?

Thanks
Mocha2204

kiwi
09-12-2010, 1:16pm
The D90 has commander mode, so, yes with a sb600, 800, or 900 you can fire them remotely and wirelessly (just read your manual on commander mode)
Flashes are fragile if you drop them all the time, or once sometimes. Ive had a dropped one repaired, cost $250. Ive dropped my sb800 onto concrete from 6 feet and it was fine. Only you can ascertain your risk

fire377
10-12-2010, 8:28am
Hi,
Yes the Nikon D90 and the SB600 are a great combination ,use mine a lot, hashness only happens when flash unit is pointed directly at subject, use at 45 or 90 degrees with a diffuser..

ricktas
10-12-2010, 8:46am
I am surprised that someone from Michaels said that, they are generally well trained staff with an interest in photography. Looks like Michaels might be heading the way of the super salesman that talks, but knows nothing.

All good advice above, a speedlight that you can use creatively, on and off camera is a lot more flexible and can produce much better results than the pop-up flash, and harsh light is NOT always the result of using a speedlight.

Lanny
13-12-2010, 11:44am
Have to agree, I am not sure why the sales person would say such a thing. That is the type of answer you woulg recieve from a large retailer with little or no knowledge. To me a flash is a very important instrument that has a lot of value to the creative side of a photographer. Please consider adding a flash to your work. It is one of those things that should be in every photographers bag. From little memory I think they have brought out the SB 700, this might be of interest. A nice flash with alot of punch.
For me what a flash offers is creative angles, but also fills in the dark areas when I need light. Also when looking at the flash take some time to learn about the different diffusers for them. I use Gary Fong, but there are some fantastic other brands out there or if you are very inventive you can make your own.

Good luck!

solace
13-12-2010, 12:07pm
Have to agree with the comments here, I have just purchased a SB-600 and the results are worth it already. The ability to bounce light and creatively use lighting adds so much value to photo's. Also being able to control the output of the flash means using in every day situations just to avoid any harsh lighting.

Great investment as can add a whole new dynamic to your photo's.

reflect
20-12-2010, 9:45am
I have started to get serioys about strobist styles and this has reinforced the importance and levels of creativity that external flashes provide. I have both Nikon and yongnuo speedlights and love using them for all sorts of shots. I have SB600s , but will buy one SB900 soon, for the reasons stated above about capability. Good luck with your choice and have fun.