PDA

View Full Version : So much info here I've become paralysed.

Fredo
08-12-2010, 11:36am
Has this happened to any other Newbie?

I am brand new . . still have that 'new car smell' about me type of new . . so I have tried to do the right thing and started reading the NTP section.

Geez, there is so much terrific info here but I find I have become paralysed by it all.

But with Christmas fast approaching, I need to be able to shoot decent (by my Family's' standards at least) happy snaps of all the family gatherings that happen at this time of the year.

So for ther time being I need to stop the study and just use my early Christmas present (see Signature below) and start taking more pics.

Is my thinking flawed?

ricktas
08-12-2010, 11:39am
Practising what you learn is the only way. After all you could read 100 books on photography and dozens of websites, but you will not really see any benefit until you can put all that into action with the camera. The trick is to learn one feature, practice it, when you understand it, move onto the next camera feature, then put them all together. This is not something you can rush.

Kym
08-12-2010, 11:43am
Ok, stop reading... Go and take some photo's on Auto - concentrate on one thing - composition.
Post those for feedback.

Then re-read the learning plan, set the ISO to 400 and start using Av (aperture mode) and keeping composition in mind try to get variation using depth of field.
Post those for feedback.

... follow the bouncing ball - you are in overload - step back and take it one element at a time (which is what the LP does for you)

Fredo
08-12-2010, 1:36pm
Thanks Kym,
when you put it like that it seems so easy . . . its a man thing isn't it? :confused013
That is exactly what I'll do then.

FallingHorse
10-12-2010, 3:04pm
Good luck on your journey Fredo - hope to see some posts real soon;)

jaqdreams
10-12-2010, 11:44pm
Oh Freddo....feel a little bit the same...
so shiny brand new that I am still reading the instruction manual!
Luckily the plan in the learning centre seems pretty straight forward.
Although my office is pretty ugly through the viewfinder and I'm a bit dizzy from trying to learn how to work with both eyes open :D
Composition, composition ..... my new mantra ( although I think I may have to read a little more about composition lol)

Good luck with the impressing the family :xmas31:

Ronbo
14-12-2010, 3:22pm
I think Kym said it best....just get behind the camera and start shooting on Auto. Composition is extremely important to making that 'great' shot....but like anything when first starting it just takes patience and practice.

Good luck and look forward to seeing how you progress.

Kym
14-12-2010, 4:00pm
Luckily the plan in the learning centre seems pretty straight forward.

I hope so. It's about as simple as we can make it to teach the basics of photography.

It is specifically structured to make the learning process as easy as possible.
Some 'advice' given on forums is 'just stick it in manual' and you will figure it all out ... guess what? This fails miserably for 99% of people who need time to grasp concepts.

Back in the day (70's in my case) I had no choice as my film camera was only manual, but digital makes it a whole lot easier to learn; so we leverage the auto capabilities to structure the learning process.

They key thing is to get a good grasp of each element before moving onto the next one. And you do that by taking photos and getting feedback on them.

In other words... Just do it!

Tikira
14-12-2010, 5:52pm
Welcome to Ap/ Take deep breaths and relax. Your family will love the pictures you take, and after all, it is AGES to Christmas, isn't it? :eek:

One thing I would add to Kym's post, is to take a look at what setting the camera chose when it is on auto, that will eventually help you when it comes time to choose your own settings.
Good luck, I look forward to seeing some of your practice shots- it really is the best way to learn, even if it feels scary to do. We have all been there to one degree or another.
Di

ameerat42
14-12-2010, 7:16pm
Just a POINT about this thread....

That BLOO-ish text in the signature blocks in a couple of posts above is at least as drah ot emak tou as this lament of mine!:o

ricktas
14-12-2010, 7:23pm

That BLOO-ish text in the signature blocks in a couple of posts above is at least as drah ot emak tou as this lament of mine!:o

Its Christmas. Flashing lights and all. Don't be a scrooge...heheh :D:santa: :santa::D:D

jim
15-12-2010, 8:13am

Bet you're on the dark skin. With a pale background the blue text looks fine.

At least a lot better than the pale yellow that some people use.

mikew09
15-12-2010, 8:21am
Yep, everything what Kym said and others. I started out the same but in the end what works best for me was reading about a certain feature like DOF and going crazy taking photos to the same and then post your best and gett CC on it. I am a very slow learner and need a lot of repitition (a LOT) but for me taking photos and getting CC & help from members works for me.

One other thing I found very important in the longer term, is ensure you keep a history of your photos. I say this as at times I felt stuck in a rut thinking I am not improving, then I compare a photo from say 12 months ago and the approvement is apparent.

Cheers,

Mike

ameerat42
15-12-2010, 8:30am
Bet you're on the dark skin. With a pale background the blue text looks fine.

At least a lot better than the pale yellow that some people use.

Quite right, Jim. I have the tanned skin. Will try a change. Am.

LJG
15-12-2010, 8:31am
I feel your pain Fred, it can sometimes be daunting. There is a lot of good advice above. I'll add that your camera's manual is your friend.

Too many blokes want to be a "bloke" and not study it, you need to be the opposite and study it so you learn all the features of your camera.

Another good idea is attending one of the photography courses that are offered, for example THIS (http://www.grasstreephotography.com.au/) one from one of the forum's sponsors here in Brisbane.

They are not expensive and well worth doing because these guys have a wealth of knowledge to pass on and don't mind doing so. Sometimes that little bit of help from somebody who knows really can go a long way.

Whatever you do, if you can keep the frustration at bay you'll certainly enjoy it and as you get better at it your passion for photography will grow.

stacyb
15-12-2010, 8:47am
hi as people have said i am a newbie , i am getting my first and own camera this christmas with the intention to get out of the house and see some nature in all its glory.. i think doing what kym say's and sticking to one type of thing like auto makes actual sense to me.. i hoping the instruction manual to this camera isn't to complicated and i can just have fun with it.. will post pics if i get any good ones (i hope)lol...:xmas::rolleyes:

maccaroneski
15-12-2010, 9:22am
And don't be discouraged. As noted above you will see an improvement, but it may not be overnight. Patience, grasshopper :)

kiwi
15-12-2010, 9:45am
If there is ONE thing that ruins photos when you are new it's not having a FAST enough shutter speed.

Keep it over 1/200s (increase ISO to 400 or 800, and/or reduce appeture), or use flash. Simple eh

Fredo
15-12-2010, 1:56pm
Oh, how good are you people!?!
Thanks very much for the encouragement Folks - I really appreciate it.
I am now carrying my camera everywhere.
Family members are now ducking for cover and even the poor old dog high-tails it out the door when she sees me coming.
Thanks again.
Fred

Miss Ella
29-12-2010, 1:12pm
I have been here since about June but am still a newbie (took a break from jul to dec lol as i had my 2nd baby in aug and have been too busy).
There is alot of info here and i started to get confused so the best thing for me was to just stick it in manual and practice. Figured i would practice until i had a better understanding of how everything relates etc and then go back to reading the info in the hope i understand it better.
In the last few weeks of shooting in m i have noticed an improvment so i must be doing something right :)

Fredo
03-01-2011, 12:34pm
Thanks Jasmin,
That is exactly what I have been doing too . . . Just taking shots of everything and going back to the info.
Happy New year.
Fred :party6:

stacyb
06-01-2011, 3:19pm
i will try that thanks

stacyb
06-01-2011, 3:23pm
hi again i have practising about but it is hard to get away from the house these holidays or i would have to drag my three daughters a long so i took so pic's of things around the yard for example. i hope i uploaded properly lol

stacyb
06-01-2011, 3:26pm
i know it is a bit fuzzy but i have been playing around with the program that came with the camera i will get better i think..:p

toad
17-01-2011, 1:58pm
Fredo, the same has happened to me. My problem is not so much composition of the actual photo, but uploading photos to the computer, and that also impacts on why I haven't posted any photos on this site yet!

juliem
20-01-2011, 7:30am
I am a newbie and fear I am getting worse... not better.
I am reading and thinking I do not have a clue what everone is talking about..... and I am never going to understand it all.
Never been on a forum before and I cant even work out how to load a photo on the site........ so today I plan on just having fun with my camera!
Composition??? Aperture???? Ohh I seriously need help!!

ricktas
20-01-2011, 7:38am
Use the NTP Library Julie : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book

Work through it SLOWLY. Read about one feature and go practice it. Do NOT try and absorb it all at once. It can take a few weeks to understand one feature fully.

As for posting photos : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=How_Do_I:How_to_post_and_link_your_photos_into_forum_threads

juliem
20-01-2011, 5:28pm
Thanks for that.
I have just enjoyed taking shots of my grandson and am going to SLOWLY work through the book. :-)
Julie